Tattoo removal

Hi,
I know there was a thread about having radiotherapy tattoos removed but has anyone had it done lately? The old post mentioned using a core biopsy punch slightly larger than the tattoo and this would result in a scab and then new skin would form. I mentioned having this done to my surgeon and she said it would be no problem and it would leave a tiny scar. Already have two scars, don’t particularly want a tiny one as well if it can be helped.
Not bothered about the tattoos at the side of my body just the one smack bang in the middle of my chest- as a friend said “it looks like a big blackhead”! Has anyone had their’s removed by this or any other method?

I haven’t had mine removed, but then mine just look like tiny freckles. Well actually they were so gentle with me I can only find one.

I didn’t realise that these tattoos came in different sizes. I thought they were all the same.

You must do what you feel most comfortable with. Whatever your decision you will be supported on this forum.

I have 4 tattoos which are much bigger than freckles! 2 of them are high on my chest and show with most summer tops. I recently saw a different onc who, when checking me, said how unsightly they were, and that i should ask my surgeon about removing them (something i have been thinking about anyway, especially as i am only 36).

Thanks for your replies girls.
MostonMauler - i can’t see the two at the side, just the one on my chest. Think they must come in different sizes and maybe different colours as well!

Lolly73 - sorry your tattoos are more visible, let me know how you get on please. I don’t see my surgeon again till August.

Thanks again for your support girls.

you can have the tatoos removed by lasr it costs about £35. i have one in the centre that looks like a blackhead and will be going to a local tattoo removal shop as soon as i get paid this month, they said they would look at it first and let me know if they think they can remove it.apparently it depends on the type of ink used. i’ll let you know how i get on.

Wilmar,do let us know how you get on.
xxx

Hello
This is just an idea but last week I have had a tiny, beautiful butterfly tattoo over one of my marks as I hated it (as they do look like blackheads). It is so pretty - not visable to anyone but me as the bra covers it - I am seeing my surgeon next week to see if I can have one on the affected side (not sure if I will be able to as the risk of Lymphodema!)

Tracy JB

Hi,
Wilmar, please let us know how you get on with the laser treatment. Just wondering if it’s worth asking the hospital what kind of ink they use for tattooing.
TJB, sounds like a good idea but mine is right in the middle of my cleavage and not hidden by my bra so going to have it removed.

Take care
xx

Hi,
i felt really upset when i got my tiny ‘dots’ and the one in the middle of my chest was far larger than the other two and not tiny atall ! i too think it looks like a big blackhead ! i asked at radiology at the time and they said no you can’t remove them, they are important to show the field of zapping that you had incase you ever need any more.

i’m glad i’ve heard different on here and will ask when i go back in aug. isn’t it a shame that you seem to get different answers depending on where you are ?

Erika x

Hi Erika,

I think i would be lost without this site as you are right in that different hospitals give out different advice. It was only through reading a comment on here that i found out that the tattoos could be removed,so i’ve asked my surgeon to remove it. When i asked the radiotherapy assistant if i could have it removed she looked puzzled and said i should cover it with make up…

Anyway, i would like to know if someone has had it done, did it leave a tiny scar whether it was done by laser or core biopsy punch?

Take care.
xx

ERIKA ive ben to see about my radiotherapy starting in sept and i explained i was anxious and didnt want the tatoos as i saw some other ladies at the drop in centre and she had quite a large cross in the centre of her cleavage ( purple) and i know it sounds petty aftr everything else ive been through but i really hate tatoos anyway and having saved the breast ( having a wide local excision lumpectomy) and the scar being very carefully done as it is totally hidden by my bra i feel this is all in vain if they going to tatoo the middle of my chest area. my oncologist reassured me there is a few ways they can mark the area one being henna which will eventually fade and come off the skin ,so i think you have to ask and air your feelings before starting treatment . xxx Julie

Julie - are you sure the cross you saw is a tattoo? If you see her again do ask her.

Every day I go for rads they re-draw the cross on me with a set square!

I asked why - it’s because they can’t see the tattoos so well when the lights are dimmed to use the lasers to line up. So they draw it in a bit bigger each day to be certain and to keep me safe. Each radiotherapist I’ve met has a different technique but I’ve not got away with a day yet without additional small lines added.

I don’t wash them off - scrubbing is not so good for the skin - they seem to come off by the time it comes to re-draw them.

Mine are blackheads as well but not vastly big, it’s only the middle one that is annoying. However its nowhere near so annoying as the surgeons scars, dinks and various skin creases I’ve been left with for life. I’ve already got used to it and may keep it as a souvenir; and a reminder of how lucky I have been to have this nasty problem caught so early [unlike my poor old grandma who died before she was 60 from the same].

I’ve approached them for correction of the surgical asymmetry and have already been offered plastic surgery on the NHS to both breasts to get this back - they can’t fix my damaged breast completely. It will be a year maybe as the rads have to work their way through now and may add to the problem. I was really angry about all of this - but the offer of correction just melted it away. I’m much calmer about all this now.

Hi,
Julie, Greenfingers is right in that they mark your tattoos with pen just before your treatment, so that they can see what they are doing! I asked my oncologist about henna tattoos and he refused saying that they wore off too quickly but if your hospital is offering them that’s great. I noticed that my bras are stained by the ink marks so wear old ones. I don’t think it is petty at all to not want a blackhead of a tattoo, i still don’t like mine and like you my scar is kind of hidden behind my bra but this blackhead is right in the middle, just another reminder of what i’ve gone through, i think i have enough reminders. Must say i’m pleased that the blue dye from SNB has eventually started to disappear at last, op was in April!

Greenfingers, glad you are getting the asymmetry corrected. I think once they offer to correct what is worrying us, you feel less stressed.
Take care xx

Hi again,

i was shopping today and passed a tatoo shop so went in ans asked if they do lazer removal - they gave me aleaflet for a nearby private hospital which they said was very good - i happen to know that my NHS plastic surgeon practices here…thought i might ask him to get me a reduction in price !! (it’s about £90 for 6 treatments, tho may be different as we are only talking about very small tatoos arn’t we ?).
I fell like it’s another unwanted reminder of everything, and i don’t like catching site of it in the mirror even when i’m fully dressed. I’ll let you know what the surgeon says ! (really I don’t think we should have to pay to have them removed, i’m joking about asking for a discount!)
xx

Hi Erika,

Does the leaflet tell you how it is done? Is it by laser or the Core Biopsy punch? If it’s the punch then the surgeon should do it for you on the NHS. I would like to know what gives the better result. My rads finish next week and i see my surgeon in August. Surgeon said she would use the punch to remove tattoo and it would leave a tiny scar. I just wonder if the laser would be better.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care.
xx

Hi,

Its a while since this blog was posted but I thought I would let you all know that I have recently opened a skin care clinic in Hull, East Yorkshire called Redeem and we have set up a charity arm of the company. One of the treatments we carry out with the charity is Radiography tattoo removal for FREE to any post cancer patient in the region. If you are from the Yorkshire region then we would love to help. You can see what we do and contact us through our web site at redeem-clinic.co.uk.

Take Care
Laura

Hi I know a lot of people haven’t probably been on this thread for a while.
I have had zap 8 of 15 today. I never wanted the tattoos and I am so cross with myself for letting the technician talk me into it. My tattoos are 2-3mm across and blue, and every time I see them I cry. I have been trying to find out if I can have them removed. They are making me so unhappy and a permanent reminder. Got enough of that with the scars from mastectomy but at least they are hidden under the cup of my bra and skin colour. I am in West Sussex and having radio in East Sussex. If anyone can help me at all please post on here or private message me. I feel so strongly I need them removed it has even crossed my mind to scrape at my skin with a scalpel every day in a bid to try and get them gone or put bleach on them to see if it will fade them. Feel so upset.

Hi red robin ,I was horrified when I first learnt I was going to get a tattoo to remind me of my cancer experience ,if you were going to get a tattoo certainly not what you would choose blue dots on your chest .I have spoken to ladies who have had tatoos over the top of the dots ( a blue tit was one ).I have found that after a year I am struggling to find mine, they do seem to fade and look like a small freckle .Please wait til you have recovered from treatment emotionally and physically before deciding what to do,I felt very emotional and vulnerable during rads and for some time after I finished .Im sure it will be possible to remove the dots if you chose to do that as they are very small.Good luck with the rest of your radiotherapy .Jill.

Hi Jill. Thanks but I definitely won’t change my mind. I won’t cover them either as I have a major needle phobia even after all of this. I am also dead against the ink on my skin which is another reason I didn’t want them. I guess I will just have to persist with asking.

Just thought I would share some good news! I have been stressing over the tattoos for rads as mine are really big compared to most. 2mm and 3mm instead of hadly visible pin head mark. I know some may think it is vain but I don’t want the permanent reminder in bold blue splodges, I don’t like the idea of the ink on my skin (my other half has tattoos just they are not for me!), I am getting married next April and don’t want the neckline on my wedding dress restricted to stupidly high, or it on show to all my family and friends.
Finally found out today that my consultant is one who is pro having them removed after treatment has finished and the skin has healed. The senior radiologist I saw today is going to talk to him about it for me and get the information I need. Can’t tell you what a weight it is that has lifted off my shoulders.