Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wedding Sept 2014

7 REPLIES 7
Fresia67

Re: Wedding Sept 2014

Hi Angie

I Also found with some companies if you actually spoke to an advisor rather than completing the online form that sometimes made a difference to the quote, if you have the time to be able to do this. Hope you sail through your rads xxx

Angie55

Hi
Thanks for the replies it has helped a lot. I will wait until my radiotherapy is complete before making any enquiries. Just waiting for an appointment with an oncologist, then it will be radiotherapy for I think 3 weeks.

Angie. X
Trisha_51

Hi Angie, my travel insurance is with LV (Liverpool Victoria) - website is lv.com. We go with them as their cover is very comprehensive ( we go away for months at a time in our motorhome & it also covers us for cruising ) though perhaps not the most inexpensive. As I said in my previous reply it' s better to wait until you have finished your radiotherapy before contacting any insurance company as whilst you're having radiotherapy they consider you to be 'actively ' having treatment, whereas once that's completed and you're only on your hormone tab they seem to treat you differently as you can then tick the 'correct' boxes on their questionnaire. Hope this helps, best wishes Pat x
Lakeslover

Hi,

I would think carefully before accepting an exclusion for BC.

For example if you were to fall and break your leg the company might try and say it was weakened by your hormone treatment and therefore not pay. Or if you broke your leg and then they find it was a bone met you didn't know about. Or if you had an infected bite in your arm, and they try and claim the infection is related to having a lymph node removed. Or even worse find a recurrence before you travel and need to cancel. Sorry these all sound very negative, but insurance is there to cover the worst and unexpected.

I have travelled several times since my diagnosis with full cover and at very reasonable cost. Insure pink covered both my breast cancer (with spread to lymph node) and my husbands high blood pressure. I can't remember the exact price but it was less than £100 for two weeks in Europe, covering both of us.

Angie55

Hi Pat
Thanks for your reply can I ask what insurance company you use. I feel like I don't want my BC covering but I know I need to cover my blood pressure. My annual premium is with insure and go and they are just not interested in covering me for anything. I would still like to do an annual policy. X
Trisha_51

Hi Angie, my diagnosis & treatment were the same as yours (Jan - April '13) we already had annual travel insurance with LV. I knew from the forum it was better to wait till after radiotherapy to try for insurance. So after my radiotherapy was finished we phoned them and explained the situation, and although I'm not covered for my BC the premium remained the same. Don' t really feel I need to be covered for BC as I'm now considered to be NED and if I did find a lump or anything else whilst on holiday I' d ring my BC Nurse and get an appointment for when I got back home. It' s a totally different ball game for the ladies with secondaries. Hope this helps, best wishes Pat x
Janet_BCC

Dear Angie55

I'm sure other members will be along soon with some responses to your question.  In the meantime I have attached a link to a thread called "Travel insurance tips" which I hope might be helpful:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Work-finance-and-travel/Travel-insurance-tips-sticky-thread/...

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Angie55

Wedding Sept 2014

Hi All

I am getting married in Gibraltar which was arranged before I was diagnosed with BC. I have had surgery where the cancer was removed with clear margins and had not spread to my lymph nodes. I am still waiting to see oncologist and will have to have radiotherapy and hormone therapy for 5 years

I usually take out annual travel insurance which runs out in August. I do have pre existing blood pressure already declared once I told them about the breast cancer they wouldn't cover me.

Can anyone suggest some insurance companies to try. I know I will only be able to get insurance for the week this time? Does anyone know if you declare the BC can you ask not to be covered for it or am I being naive thinking? Does anyone know how much extra you have to pay when you have BC? Obviously by the time I go I will have had radiotherapy.

Any help would be of great help.

Angie