69.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is your immune system low after fec-t?

7 REPLIES 7
bumblegirl

Re: When is your immune system low after fec-t?

Hi sorry I havent replied for so long Maryland. Thank you for all the advice. First chemo went well and all OK other then infection in picc line! Hope you are doing well? Xx
Maryland

Hi Bumblegirl.....it's likely that your Mum will have FEC x 3 first followed by TAX x 3. The low immune periods are different (as are side effects - she may get some/all/none) for both. She may be given an injection to have for 5 days (not all hospitals do this; more do for TAX) which helps to boost white blood cell production. This can cause localised pain as the bone marrow does its job. If so, don't let her suffer but take paracetamol/ibuprofen. My Onc advised not to work for the whole 10-14 and then 5-9 days, so I guess low immunity starts to drop on day 10/5 and then picks up again on days 14/9. It was a very personal choice to work - my Onc was at first a little hmmmmmm - then she realised how stubborn I was! To be honest, looking back (nearly 2 years ago now) I was very, very slow in all respects, however it did help me to retain a level of normality which is what I needed. However, you kind of 'live in the moment' so that slow moving, foggy me felt OK at the time :). Keeping a diary helped me....keep track of medication, side effects, what helped, how I felt and planned treats....simple things like a walk, painting nails, watching a film. Most important for your Mum is to listen to her body, to ask for what she needs (prescriptions are free if she is under 60) to manage. You sound so loving and supportive - I couldn 't have got through my diagnosis and treatment without my closest family; that is so important. All the best for your Mum's treatment..,,you both take care xx

Jo_BCC

Hi bumblegirl,

Here's the link to where your other post is Smiley Happy

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/When-is-your-immune-system-low-...

Jo, Moderator

bumblegirl

Hi Maryland. Thank you for replying. Wow you done well working through treatment. Its my mum who has cancer and she's desperate to go back to work but she's going to have treatment first. I did make another post on here here but can't find it. I think its just the fec my mums having tomorrow so I'll have to ask. That's something that it doesn't go down straight away. Do you know how long your immune system is low for? Xx
Maryland

Hi Bumblegirl........through choice (stupidity?!!) I worked (school business manager) through chemo 2 years ago with the full support of my Onc. Due to my working environment, she was very strict about the days I didn't go into work, the 'nadir' or low white blood cell count days. For FEC it was days 10-14, although I was extra careful and used loads of anti-bac hand sanitiser(!) on days 8 and 9 as two of the FEC (can't remember which ones) have a very slightly earlier 'nadir' start date. For 'T' (Docetaxol, Taxotere) then the 'nadir' days are a little earlier on 5-9. The advice she gave me was that we are more at risk from ourselves than others during these low periods, so to follow a 'pregnancy' type diet; wear gloves when gardening, cleaning etc. to avoid cuts, grazes; drink plenty (cranberry, barley drinks) to help prevent urinary type infections, and keep mouth scrupulously clean as mouth ulcers can quickly become infected (particularly if masked by oral thrush). I did tend to avoid very crowded places but as germs can live on most surfaces for many hours anti-bac became my best friend! Hope that helps, and all the best......take care x

bumblegirl

Hi Donna. Thank you. Its so confusing! Xxx
Donnaandfamily

Hi  bunblegirl

the days they told me are days 10 - 14 on Fec.....but changes to day 4-5 when on the T courses x

bumblegirl

When is your immune system low after fec-t?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know when your immune system is low after fec-t? Is it straight away? Xxx