Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change of implant

15 REPLIES 15
NAZ

Re: change of implant

Hi Matty

You are right, but where else could we discuss such intimate and personal details??!!

To be honest, prior to BC, I never gave my breasts a second thought. But over the years, I have kind of 'fixated' on them or rather what has replaced my breast! Sometimes I gaze at other womens breasts in the swimming pool and ask them the question in my head 'want to swap'!

Okay, time to get a life. Yes it was helpful, looking makes pretty grim viewing, but there we go, it is what it is!

Naz xx

Matty2

@NAZ wrote:

Wish I had done that too Matty,.but hard to touch something which is scarred and you cannot feel? Or is it me? Mmm. probably...

Mine is not pleasant to look at - healing issues, now healed, but have left a nasty scar.

I cannot feel with boob but hand  does  and it has helped me a lot

try it through your bra to start with - you feel the warmth at first, then get use to the shape etc. No need to look!!

Can't believe I'm writing this as it is very personal - the wonders of the anonymous forum and internet.

I hope you find it helpful

beryl x

Kaya51

Hi Chrisalex, Naz and Matty.

Thank you all for replying to my query.

Chrisalex I'm glad your silicon implant is much better than your Becker implant. I was pleased to hear that you only felt a bit uncomfortable at first (rather than in long term pain), which I find reassuring. Like you, I still mourn my original breast but having lived with no breast for two years I am hoping I would feel ok about it not feeling like my original one. I just want to have something there! Thank you for your good wishes.

Naz, thank you for giving me some hope that the expander inflations might only be uncomfortable for a couple of days - it has again reassured me as I have previously read about ladies finding it very painful. I guess we all feel things differently, but at least now I know not everyone gets extreme pain with it. I am pleased to hear that over time you can kind of get used to the alien feeling. 

Matty, that's a good tip to remember about holding the boob - I will remember to try it if I need to!

I have an appointment to see my surgeon in three months time regarding reconstruction which is why I am thinking about my options. He has already told me that I could have an implant - but have had no details. I presume I would need to have expander implant first as I had MX two years ago, which I would later have replaced with silicon implant - but obviously I will find out more when I go to see him.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing all your experiences with me, it is very helpful. Best wishes for the rest of your treatments.

NAZ

Wish I had done that too Matty,.but hard to touch something which is scarred and you cannot feel? Or is it me? Mmm. probably...

Matty2

I have found just holding my new boob, caressing it etc - although little sensation it had begun to feel like me. Still not right but mentally it has helped me not to reject it.

At first I wouldn't touch it at all

Hope that helps

B

NAZ

I agree with you Chrisalex

My silicone implant feels nothing like a real breast and feels very odd against my natural breast on the other side. I would go as far as saying that it does feel alien, but over time, you kind of get used to that feeling.

When i has the TE in, I found the inflations to be tight and uncomfortable, but that subisded within a day or so.

chrisalex

Hi Kaya51

From my experience I would say that a silicone implant is more comfortable than an expander one and feels more like a breast - sadly nothing like my original one which I suppose I still mourn.  The thing to consider is that it requires surgery but this is minor compared to the original mx.  With regard to pain, yes it is a bit uncomfortable at first but the insertion of the implant is under the breast and leaves a small scar.

It will be interesting to hear what other ladies say, in the meantime I wish you luck with your decision.  Regards

Kaya51

Hi ladies. I've been reading this thread with interest as you have all had implants. I had mx two years ago and am considering having an implant. I have read a lot of comments about expander implants being painful and implants feeling very alien. I am wondering if any of you could tell me if you are pleased or not with your decision to have implants - and how painful you have found the process. I did start a thread entitled 'are expander implants painful?' but have only had one reply so far. I would be very grateful for any info on how you have found it (as you seem to be implant ladies!) in the hope it will help me make my decision. Many thanks.

chrisalex

Hi Kaysarrah

I finally did have the implant changed to a silicone one (after 3 cancellations!!) and it feels so much better.  I can now sleep on my side and stomach without feeling as though I am bouncing off the bed.  The only problem now is that I need lipo fill as there is a lot of denting above my breast.  My breast is also very lumpy from the stitches which hold in the strattice.

As far as the size of the implant goes I believe they come in many shapes and sizes.  Apparently my surgeon had several in theatre so I guess this is down to a discussion with your Dr.  Good luck with your decision and keep us in the loop.  I hope that at some time in the future implants will be even more realistic and will feel and look like the breasts we lost.

Regards Chris

riversidedawn

I'm due to have expander put in mud may after Chemo then rads 3 weeks later. The plan is to replace with silicon at a later date.

Please keep posting as I'd like to follow your stories!
KaySurrah

Hi, just wondering what you did?

I still have my original beckers in, although the ports were taken out as soon as recons had settled down and they were sure I would not want any saline adding.....

Cant you ask for more saline to be added?

I'd like mine to be swapped for silicone, but hard to know if they'd end up larger, as the smallest one available

sounds bigger than what I've got [v. hard to work out].

Let me know if you got anything else done pls?

chrisalex

change of implant

Thank you ladies 

Your replies have been a great help.  Perhaps my surgeon has too many mx's to do hence trying to fob me off.  There seem to be far too many referrals.  If I had the money I feel like going private just to get this journey over with.

Regards Chris

Butterfly318

Evening Chris.

Much like JoJo i have a saline expander in situ.  Put in June 2013 at time of mx.  Port is sat on my rib (ouch) very uncomfortable.   At the time of surgery Consultant said minimum 6 months before exchange, at the time she believed I didn't need radiotherapy.  Oncologist wanted me to have Radiotherapy due to the tumour being large and wanting to make sure i'd had everything available to prevent recurrence.  Had this August 2013 so that put back the exchange to silicone implant as Consultant wants to be sure of good blood supply to area before surgery to ensure good healing.  Plan was always to exchange and i have next appt end March to discuss surgery possibly May.  1st week June would be 12 months so have got that date in my mind fingers crossed !!! 

Hope you manage to get some joy with your Consultant and get the implants exchanged.  

Take Care   Gilly x

JoJo11

Hi,
I had an expander implant; the plan was always to change it for silicone and that happened about a year later. It was much more comfortable, the silicone is a lot softer and seems a much better shape too. Hope you can get something sorted.
All the best
Jojo

jillybee

I had a saline one,became capsulated,so after 18 months had silicone one inserted.mine was very uncomfortable as well.....I really hope you can this sorted.please keep us posted on this thread.Yes,may be a risk of infection, however,that is something that can be overcome.
chrisalex

change of implant

Hi there

Have any of you ladies ever had a becker implant changed to a permanent silicone one.  I had a becker saline one put in about 18 months ago.  I still have the port in and it feels very uncomfortable.  The breast also feels like a deflated water bottle even though it has been topped up.

I recently saw my surgeon who is very reluctant to do the change saying that it is unnecessary and there will be no difference.  He also said there was a possibility of infection and other complications.

I would appreciate any views  Regards Chris