367405posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight gain ??

56 REPLIES 56

Re: weight gain ??

Thanks, vertangie, sometimes I feel like a bit of a freak on here as I seem to be in a very small minority.

Here here Road Runner.

I've seen some so called celebrities (don't watch stuff like that myself) attacked for keeping going fitness wise and so called glorifying the disease. I really felt sorry for them (not that they'd read here I expect) but needless to say I didn't pipe up and say I'm walking 5k a day everyday, but why the hell didn't I.

Couldn't be bothered to get into it I expect. But maybe it's not so bad if some newly diagnosed people realise that there's a hope that they'll still be mentally, physically and emotionally intact at the end... mostly that it 😉

Congrats for putting the effort in. The chemo syster on my ward said that she reckons a lot of it is all in the mind and you do partly decide how you're going to cope, not totally but our minds do influence our bodies don't they... well some of the time anyway 🙂

I've been warned that it'll take nearly a year to get back to full strength, I can believe that now but so long as it's steady progress and I'm still around in 10 years kicking it to da man as they say then I'll be happy in the long run.

Hope the progress continues.

Mallysally said:

"bluddy hell
road runner...

chemo has'unt knocked you about then .....as you are still running "

Just want to point out that yes chemo was awful, especially the Tax. At the end of it I couldn't even run 1/2 a mile without stopping to walk. And it has taken me from last September when I finished Tax to a month or so ago to regain my fitness. The point is, I never stopped trying and I never gave up, as I wasn't going to let this bl**dy disease take complete control of my life. And although I found it very tiring and extremely hard going at times, I always felt better for going out for a run.

I think it is important for people like me to post so that newcomers can see that there are choices to be made as to how to deal with this. Everyone told me that I would not be able to run on chemo, and it would have been very easy to give up, but I knew that Jane Tomlinson did the London marathon on chemo, so I thought if she can do that, then surely I can keep up with my running. It was important to my mental health and I am very glad I never gave up.

I'm not saying that everyone should be out there running, just that there are different ways of coping with treatment, and that for some of us, carrying on with our normal lives as much as possible is very important, and not entirely impossible.

Heya, just thought I'd jump back onto this thread as I've found out a few things since.

I too am on FEC and am 4 down and have noticed that a lot of it seems to coincide with the taking of the steroids (dexamethasone in my case) and had a chat with the chemo nurse who pointed out that dex can make you hold water, ie bloated with water, the leaflet also lists puffiness with side effects (hence my hamster face on days 2 and 3) and if you're a little consitipated that can make you bloated too.

So how much of this is actually weight gain, and how much is just a temporary change in how we're using energy/water.

I took the time to observer myself at the end of cycle 3 and while I am actually a few kilo heavier (have to confess don't really know what I weighed at the start, hopefully the nurses can tell me that 😉 I wasn't as round at the end of the cycle as I as after the next dex so maybe really have a look at that if it's image that's bothering you.. that's what shapewear is for 🙂

I'm also doing a lot of reading about eating for health, not to stop cancer etc, although I'm weighing that into it, no more reading about how to recover full health after all this treatment. Right now I'm reading a book called optimum nutrition for the mind as I want my mental faculties back before a flat belly. I'm not really changing my diet right now, that can wait. But I'm starting to think about life after treatment eg what I can do for myself.. I am really really looking forward to having some real control over my health again as the chemo really is making me feel like I shouldn't be doing this. so counter intuitive isn't it. Yeah lets all make ourselves sick, fat, miserable and prone to infections.. sounds like a plan... NOT, but I do know it works so I'll shut up there, hopefully you all know what I mean about taking back the reigns.

Lots of love and don't beat yourselves up my fellow pot bellied skinhead sweeties.

Angie

Hi everyone

You might find a DVD which Breast Cancer Care produces called 'Eating Well Being Active' useful.
You can order it by going to

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=5259

Take care

Ann

Hello all,

I was quite depressed before reading all your comments as I have put on 12 kilos since started on FEC. I had my 6th and last FEC on Tuesday 5th August and I thought I was the only one putting on so much weight on, but as I can see I am not alone! I feel the urge to eat first days after chemo as the taste in my mouth is awful and I have the impression that by eating it will go away....not true, but never mind! My hair started growing after 5th Chemo funny enough and now I have a fur of baby hair! I know I will not be able to lose the weight straight away because of the radio and do feel very fat! I do not fit on any of my clothes anymore, it's quite depressing I must say. From a size 12 to 16.... What to do? Doctor said she would be very worried if I was losing weight and also said that after all the treatment I would be able to shift the weight. I hope so!

Anyway, good luck to all of you!

xxx

lol..........................

I find that fried onions and crinkle cut beetroot after that help enormously - shame about the colour though .....

if I weighed myself would probably lose 1lb in 4 hours!
love FB xx

and i fart a lot when I eat my family pack of smoky bacon crinkle cut around day 10 ..... then I pooh a lot!

did i just write that???????????????
love FB xx

im just getting a big fat fart ............

I have noticed a pattern for me on Tax ....

Days 1-6 - normal eaing and feel OK
Days 7-12 - something very strange happens - ravenously hungry, fell very fed up, can't stop eating, crave "bad foods", depressed, very sad,
Wake up day 12-ish and suddenly the storm is over and I can have a normal-ish week

It's MAD !!!!
During days 7-12 I would say I put on about 4-7 lb (estimate)
then in the last days I would say I lose about 1-3 lb

anyone else like this ?
love FB xx

Hi all,
I'm getting close to the end of chemo & have put on about 8 kilos since dx & op at the end of Feb. I know it's trivial compared with our other problems and I didn't give a toss at first, but now I think the image that jumps out at me as I pass shop windows or tactlessly placed mirrors is adding to the general depression that accompanies this stage. I don't want to see people who would be made uncomfortable by my hanging jowls and massive torso - so have skipped some fun parties & missed Bruce Springsteen the other night because, well, for goodness sake, I looked like a toad.

The combination of weekly increasing weight and low energy levels finally got me to a nearby lake a few weeks ago for a swim. Lovely. Invigorating. And painless! Walking hurts & the extra weight doesn't help. I've switched to a local pool now - though I'm not crazy about them. At least this is spotlessly clean, virtually deserted in the mornings, much closer than the lake, warmer & has a clock! I'm not going to diet as such but I've cut out the sweeties I've started to eat - I'm not normally a sugar person - and with daily gentle water exercise I've dropped nearly 2 kilos in the 2 weeks - & feel relatively good. I think. Though I've forgotten what I felt like before all this. Still, a bit more energy, perhaps - & I suppose it has kick-started my moribund metabolism.

I don't want to hate the way I look, on top of everything else - plus I want to have lost some weight before tattooing for rads at the end of August, because they say you shouldn't after that until rads are over or the tattoos become inaccurate. And then my sis & I plan to have a wicked week away somewhere warm - and she won't be happy with a toad at her side. She's very fastidious. So. No choice really. A bit of weight must go.

Ah, but I've said this so many times before lol...

i had batter fish and curly frys ...that was very nice mmmmmmmm

what shall i have for pudding lol.......

don't eat seafood but have have put a bag of chicken dippers in the oven and they smell so good. (licking my lips)

Just eaten spicy prawns with butternut squash risotto - seemed like a good idea at the time, but looking at the size of my bum... not to mention te ensuing heartburn...!!!!!

Td x

thought i'd bump this one up.

i was wondering what was wrong with me as i keep eating and have put on almost a stone now. i just eat and eat. Vertanges recepie in chit chat and fun has made me hungery it sounds so tasty so i'm off to look for food.

bluddy hell
road runner...

chemo has'unt knocked you about then .....as you are still running
wish i could well yesterday and today i have felt ok so next week i mite just try a jog and see how i go ...as i am jealous.....
really miss ponding the pavements...

sal x

Hi Td
Went to see MAMA MIA on stage for my 50th birthday with daughter and sis in laws, cant wait to see the film.

I put half a stone on between 8th april (Mums death) and op. then another quarter stone on after. nearly 11 stone now so God knows what chemo will do.

B x

Sal,

Putting on weight isn't inevitable. As someone said, sitting around comfort eating instead of being busy at work is bound to take its toll. I have worked (and run) all through my treatment, and my weight has stayed fairly constant.

Td

hi hun glad you are ok as the TAC is very strong i will not be on that any more hun ''''think i told you ...im on fec next dose....

glad that you have'nt put to much weight on ..... iv put about 6lbs on but going on runner next week but only doing fast walk .....

well off to town chat later

sal x

Good luck sal!

I've been ok with first TAC, 2nd today. So ought to go to bed really - its gone 3am... it's the steroids....

Only gained 3lbs in last 5 weeks. happy with that. Still under 10 & half stone!

Hope your'e ok Bridie! I didn't make live chat as went to see MAMA MIA. it was FANTASTIC - go see it, even if you not wild abba fans! Did wish I had the option of moving to greece right now though.....

Td xxxx

Hey fixbix

how are you ???? where you been hiding ????

im eating loads as im so board.......

but i have got to start to stop myself other wise i will be a house....

started going for waiks when im not feeling sick...

need to do somthing.. well went to see onc yesturday he is switching me onto FEC instead of TAC so go back 22nd july for second lot so hope it all go's in ok

sal x

blimey sally - that sounds scary

glad you are better

am eaing loads and loads and loads - just sooooooooo ugently hungry

speak son - feel rubbish
love FB Xx

newly diagnose movers .....

on there as well

fixbix

xx

hi sal - what happned and on what thread .... ???? hope you are feeling better! love FB xx

Ps Sorry but i get sooo confused with al the names i only read a few threads ....

Hi lily

thanks for the post ..yea feeling better now thank god ..was scary but im ok .....

feeling a bit sick but hav'nt been sick pills seem to be quite good..

taste buds a bite funny but other than that it's ok

tryed to do a bit of house work to day then had to sit down cus felt abit sick
but hope it will pass next week.

hope you are ok and every one else ...nice to be up and about..

take care sal x

Sal,
we were really worried about you. glad to hear you are obviously improving now. Your partner posted on another thread , it was so lovely and made us very emotional. How are you now?
take care
~Lily x

well tanks ladies for all your feed back ......

i wont be on tac now as i had a bad reaction to it so got to go back on the and see my onc to see what chemo he will put me on ????? but im not going to worry about putting on weight ..will deal with it after treatment .....just wont to get back on form but need to do this first......

mind you ...my taste buds went to day and i;m munnching on pinnapple....

sal x

Hello
I've put 2 stone on after chemo (3fec, 3taxotere). I think its cos I sat around so much while I felt ill!
Having said that its 5 weeks since my last one and even though I'm doing more - i've still put a few pound on! Arrgh!

SORRY TD IM LOGED ON HUSBANDS NAME

ITS MALLYSALLY

X

Td

I WAS TOLD THE SAME AS YOU

AND IM STICKING TO THAT

SAL X

Hi, I put on a lot of weight when i had chemo (over 5 kg in a few weeks) - mainly from the docetaxel i think. I've lost most of the weight since chemo finished, and i wonder if this might be due to my diet (because i know a lot of people have trouble losing the weight after chemo). I'm not eating any dairy and only rarely eat fish. (no other meat) i do eat eggs a few times a week (and i think you need to take glucosamine supplements if you dont eat shark or cow cartilege in your diet/ or marine animal shells); lots of fresh vegetables and fruit and grains/nuts/seeds/wholegrains and plant foods/dried fruits/especially dark green vegies and lots of water. I'm also on chinese herbs/acupuncture and maybe this helped as well. I've heard that weight retained after chemo can be linked to a poorer prognosis (although i just heard this on tv somewhere; im not sure if its true or not), so i think its important to try to lose the chemo weight by good diet if possible - i wonder if your body stores the toxins fromt he chemo in the form of excess weight/or hasnt been able to get them out of its system? (that was my theory). I've heard that a good diet is really important for other reasons (and recommend the book 'The China Study' which talks about the protein found in dairy (casein) and links to tumour growth in rats). Its really hard to do, especially cutting out the sugars and processed foods - (not to mention alcohol and caffeine and chocoalte) and i still eat cakes/chocolate/tea occasionally; but i really think its helping me and you get used to it after a few months and even start to like it. I eat a huge salad for breakfast of half an avocado, i tomato, lettuce; spinach leaves; alfalfa; almonds; sunflower seeds; mung beans mixed together with olive oil/lime juice on top.

I probably have a bit more weight to lose (maybe i need to exercise) and i'm really still not sure why i gained the weight - whether it was eating too much during chemo (i was really hungry from the steroids i think) or retaining fluid from the drugs they give you; but i've never been that big in my life (i swelled up including my face and legs were bloated) and i feel better after losing most of it - although im not really sure how i did it - i think may have been diet but not 100% sure.

Kate

hi all

Following my recent nasty exprience on another thread i would not recommend gong to chemo hungry - even if I'm careful for the next 2-3 weeks I will have bigger meals on the lead up to the next session

thanks for the interestin info and hope you enjoyed OH's exhibition

love FB

It's just them being extra careful as who ever prepared the veg may have some nasty bacteria on their hands which would still be on the veg as it's not cooked.

I think it's OK if you're preparing it yourself.

I'm currently on day 9 so low point and yet I'm going to a private viewing of an art exhibition (OH's photography) tonight. I'm just going covered in anti bac to be careful that's all. You can't stop living altogether can you.

Hey Angie (not too long -very interesting...)

Why no raw veg?? I've been told 'NO suppliments but eat healthily' - I asked about raw egg pate etc, and was told 'maintain good hygiene standards and eat normally. Do avoid raw egg (salmonella) and make sure meat cooked well (toxoplasmosis) and salad & veg washed well & peeled ( toxo again) but not anything else...

guess different oncs opinion again...

Td x

Sorry, that was far too long.

Something to consider here... Chemo hits your stomach hard, really quite hard. I'm sure it's better to gain the weight than have your poor tummy rumbling like mad with all those drugs hitting it. I found trying to leave my stomach empty for a while was when the nausea really started to build so I've started doimg my best to snack on healthy things a lot and eat lots of little things that I crave for example.

Mini donuts, mini biscuits etc for the cravings.
high energy breakfasts like porridge... slow to digest, so less empty and slow release energy so good if you do manage to get any excercise.

Of course even just eating a flapjack contains oats so is good. I've also switched to low fat mayonnaise and things like that and am growing salad in a little raised bed as it's more appealing when you've slaved over it and fought of the slugs. That and no one elses bacteria has been near it 🙂

But please don't beat yourself up over a bit (or even a lot) of weight gain. I say let it slide a little until end of treatment unless your GP calls you in for a chat about obesity that is 🙂

Oh I did find a great book which was about eating to heal from cancer (no claims about stopping it etc) and a couple of things I really liked in there that aren't too fattening but yummy were:

Summerfruit pudding (adding jelly to the juice makes it nice on a sore mouth).
Hummous which is packed with energy and really healthy. Love the stuff myself. I like dipping raw carrots in instead of crisps but am supposed to be staying away form raw veg because of the chemo.

Lets face it you cannot win when the safest foods to eat have been deep fried for 5 minutes (KFC and I are currently good friends) 😞

One thing I can suggest is try lots of pepper on foods to put some flavour back. I use it instead of salt and have done for years and lots of my friends have commented about how well seasoned my cooking is even though I add no salt. They still don't know 😉

Sugar is my enemy hence the copious amounts of fruit everyday, and despite walking an hour every day since dx (6 months now) I have gained weight, about 4 kilos (8 lb) I think. But the belly seems to come and go with the steroids so I think half of it is fat from overeating and the other half is muscle from all the excersise (so I've been told and I do have stomach muscles under the flab now 🙂

I'm so glad that someone else has this salt thing (Fiz) - I taste everything as salty so eat salty to cover it! I'm even adding salt to my food, which I never do normally.....

I'm trying so hard to not eat between meals, but as i can't do that ( I get SOSOSOSO hungry that my stomach hurts ) I'm trying to eat less more often, but even so - I'm constantly troughing!!

But no weight gain yet - I think my boob weighed 4lb so I lost that at the op and am still 10st 4lb. Not for long, i fear....!

Td xxxx

I have lost a bit of my chemo weight by cutting out all the rubbish I was eating ( cake, crips Etc) and stuck to meal times.

another thing .... I have now started doing stetching ... why don't you do this ? it does improve the mood a lot ....

mallysally

i don't mean to be rude but ......

if you didn't have cancer and you stopped doing loads of exercise and you ate lots of junk then you'd put on weight - right?

that's what I've done - I didn't run before but I was quite active ....

BUT

if you do less exercsie and eat sensibly then I think this can be minimised - that's what I am tryng to do now

THE BIG PROBLEM is comfort eating on rubbish .....

am trying small handfuls of coconut and sultanas or carrots or apples ....

you are probably feeling pppp'd off (apart from the fact that we all do from time to time) because you have withdrawals from those chemcials that get produced during sport ..... that will pass soon

good luck

lots of love - I know how you feel - {{{{{{BIG HUG }}}}}}} love FB xxx

bump it up

Tanks ladies

its just that since iv had my opp i feel crap.... i ran 3 times a week, and now im doing nothing ..]
really miss doing my fitness as that kept my weight still and could have goodies.

And now dont feel sexy and i dont wont to put on weight as i have put on about half a stone since i found out i had cancer...
thats cus i dont do as much and feeling sorry for myself so i tend to eat junk food...

well i will just have to see how it go's and try not to eat junk food and try to eat heathy...easy said then done tho.....

i start tac on tue.....1st july....

hope i can feel ok to just go walking, but will have to see how this chemo efect's me

well thank's all for your reply's

at least i know you can or can not put weight on ,,,, but knowing my luck i will ....

bye for now
sal x

Just to be different I have not put on any weight - in fact since being diagnosed in Feb have lost a stone. I don't think this is anything to do with the treatment - more to do with the fact that I did have a desk job and got very little exercise....I also ate lots of rubbish whilst I was at work (there was always chocs or biscuits available). I lost half a stone whilst I was in hospital as the anasthetic made me sick and since having chemo I have lost my sense of taste for most of the time and so only eat healthily whilst I am like this as I don't enjoy anything and everything tastes the same. During my first course of chemo I did eat one thing after another just to try to find something I enjoyed but it didn't work!
I also try to take a walk everyday as it makes me feel better.
All this said I can't wait to get my sense of taste back and then I am sure my weight will return - even though I could do without it.
XX

I've done 4 FEC and gained 9lbs. Started 1st of 4 TAX today - so goodness knows what it will be........mind you, I don't care much - as long as my clothes fit (and yes, some of my trousers already have elasticated waists) I don't care - it's just a little thing in comparison to everything else, and can easily be dealt with....if I choose to!

Don't worry MallySally - it'll all come out in the wash, eventually.

Hi all

I would say as follows for me :
Epi 1 - nothing
Epi 2 - about 4 lb ish
Epi 3 - no chnage
Epi 4 - no chnage
not that bothered me as enough else to worry about
BUT
Taxatore 1 - some more
Tawatore 2 - some more
I would say now about 10-14lb more than when started
do I care? on the one hand "no" as i just want to get all the treatment out the way amd then sort the mess out afterwards
on the other hand .... the extra weight is giving me HUGE back problems combined with the lack of activity (chronic back problem anyway) so now I HAVE TO DO SOMETHING as I can't walk very far ....
2 more Tax to go
bit of a b*mm*er ....

having said that .... my eating habits are awful on Tax due to the fact that I crave salty things and have been eating loads and loads of crisps - pre dx ate none!

I think a lot of the weight gain is self inflicted - if unintentional
plus I have been ppp'd off due to arm problems and the fact that it's taken me soooooooooooooooooooo long to complete my 8 sessions and I have defintely been comfort eating

so I am going to make a big effort to get a grip and only eat what I would normally conisder to be "good" and see if i can reverse the trend

on the one hand i don't agree with dieting when on chemo but on the other ... if I can't even walk to the end of the road then I've got to do something about it ......

I can hardly get in my clothes now .... my choice each day is getting smaller and smaller .... lets see what can be done ...

good luck everyone
lots of love
FizBix xxx

PS By the way Mallysally I did a quick poll on weight loss before I started my chemo and it was 50/50 losers and gainers ... if you search on "poll" you'll probably find it .....

PPS MallySally - I think you have to be acareful about what you believe - if you really think that you are going to put on 2 stone then you will - it's possible you may - but try and be a bit more open minded ..... good luck with it all anyway

Hi Sal

Yes I'm on TAC - have had 4 cycles and 5th is on Monday and I have put on half a stone so far on chemo (a stone altogether now as I put on half a stone between dx and chemo) - am now wearing size18 clothes and feeling very fat! Everyone says I look well and it's better to put weight on than be losing it - I wouldn't mind being a size 14 though!! Just have to go with the flow and hope I lose it later! Have you put any weight on?

Best wishes
Polly

the ladie that are on tac how are you getting on with weight ?????

sal

hi everyone
i know how you all feeling about weight gain, but somehow cant get my head around slimming at the moment, only had 3 fec already put on half a stone, which i had lost prior to breast cancer. this treatment taking it out on me, in lots of ways. little tearful tonight as well. never mind tommorows another day.

hope you all have some pleasant moments tommorow.x

It really makes you feel bad doesn't it? It is bad enough having bc, chemo, rads and no hair and then to put loads of weight on too. I have a pot belly now and cannot do any of my trousers up.
Excuse my moanathon

Rach