June 2018 Radiotherapy

Ladies

Starting the thread for those of you who are continuing rads in June and for the ladies who will be starting it.

Hope you all have a lovely bank holiday weekend

Helena xxx

Hello Ladies
I’m new here and have just had my first 4 RT sessions with Rhianna (my new friend - the machine)

The thing I wanted to mention was preparation as I couldn’t find anything on here before I started. I’m suffering shoulder pain due to the surgery/exercises/hormone treatment. Holding the position with arms high above my head is very uncomfortable, especially the early sessions when a lot of measuring goes on. If you’re the same, remember to take  painkillers. A simple precaution. Woman Wink

Some pinkness after 4th session, which has gone today. Otherwise, no symptoms yet.

(repeated from May RT thread… I’ll stay on June now)

Ladies

Just a couple of words of advice, it is important that you maintain your exercise regime throughout the time you are having rads as it will help to keep your arm and shoulder mobile.  It is difficult to do it the 3 times a day they recommend, I managed twice a day.

Also keep your fluid intake up they recommend 2 litres a day, this will help with the potential dehydration effects of the rads which can cause fatigue.  Obviously moisturing the area regularly, I used to take my E45 with me so that I could apply it immediately after I finished each session when I was getting dressed.

Sending you all hugs and hope you are having a lovely bank holiday weekend

Helena xxx

Hi all. I start my rads 6th June. 20 sessions in all 15 normal 5 booster. Started good cream regime already so least the skin will be semi prepared. I am using aveeno and have plenty in stock with a couple of tubes of aloe Vera. Also trying to up my fluid intake. This is hard as not a big drinker. Excersise again starting to walk more and still doing arm excercises. So it’s onwards and upwards and hope we all get through this without to many issues. One thing my rad nurse did mention was to try any creams used on the inner arm first to check no allergies. I always use aveeno anyway so all ok there but something worth considering if using a different cream that you already use. 3rd July I will be ringing that bell!!! Good luck all and speak soon I am sure.

Hello Ladies,

i am starting rads tomorrow. 15 and then 4 boosters. I have to hold my breath twice each time for 20 seconds. I am very nervous due to the breath hold and in general. Is it okay to mosterise straight afterwards? 

Lots of love xx

Had my planning scan today and started crying on the table - the realisation that it’s really happening knocked me sideways yet again! Just as I think I’ve got to grips with it…

Tattoo marks are tiny and hidden well within the cleavage. Funny that I always thought my first tattoo might might be a mid-life homage of some kind…never mind eh!

Start whole breast radiotherapy for 3 weeks x 5 sessions  on 13th June and then a week of 5 sessions for boost (I’m just under 50) and will finish on 10th July.

Will definitely take painkillers beforehand ladies - good call! 

Glad the message is getting out about the discomfort of the arm position and using pain relief before. The radiographer mentioned yesterday that they are seeing more ladies with painful joints/muscles who are on hormone therapy. The sessions are due to be quicker with fewer “pictures” (!) before the treatment actually starts. One third there! I’m even enjoying the drive now.

Well 6 days to go before I start rads and good ole anxiety gremlin trying to creep in again but not welcome so keep telling them to do one. Cream all ready. Water at 2 litre per day. Exercises ok ish. So ready to go I suppose. Good luck to all those starting rads in June and hope it goes well. Speak soon all

Hi I’m a june lady too but not till the 27 th , I’ve had my planning and tattoos , I’ve got appt 15 the to discuss s/e and lymphondema ( spelling ) xx I cried a t the planning I don’t know why I think I just got overwhelmed xx

Thank you Helena. I am sure I will be fine. Think it is just the thought of reality and treatment commencing. Read something the other day and thought very true quote: go with the flow, trust the medical staff, and drift with it, because you will travel safer that way! And like you say fear of the unknown but will stay strong as not far to go now that light is there albeit it not to bright just yet.

Hi Jamesy and daisy and welcome. Think this will happen to me at some point jamesy but it’s fine and understandable. Sometimes think you have done all the crying but nope not the case. I think with me it is because I feel really well and look well so people keep telling me then I start asking myself how should I look? I have been very lucky as found by routine mammogram, small and treatable as with all of us. Fortunate and thankfully no chemo was needed just Wle SNB and rads. From diagnosis to end of active treatment will be 99 days with 56 days of that waiting results so pretty good I think. Then the battle begins of moving forward and placing a little bit further back in the head but will cope with that when the time arrives. Never give up daisy stay strong and positive because we will get through this.

Hi ladies…just stalking my girls Starfire, Dealdoh and Jamsey…?..sorry I’m in a ridiculously good mood as I’ve just found out and don’t need second lot of chemo as suggested last week.

So it’s on to the last leg (not counting hormone stuff) at long last

Got my first apt with Radiotherapist Tuesday, not sure if it’s planning or not!!

Brilliant tips re pain relief and cream…thank you x

Hi everyone, started mine on 31st May. Having 15 in total. 2 so far with no issues. X

Hi sunflower. Countdown is on! Yes on the water. Started with a 2 litre drinks bottle and it didn’t work just looked far to much so it just sat there looking pretty on my table. So bought a Joseph Joseph one which has a twist top. Twisting every time you finish a bottle 4 dots 2.5 litre. Gadgets hey but it works for me. Excersise not so good other than arm excersise which I have never stopped since op. Hopefully will kick in when I start. Might go swimming if all ok. Hope all goes well for you and speak soon and keep in touch. Helena mentioned the first one could take a while as they re measure to be sure all is ok and correct so stay calm and relaxed! Take care

Dcb. On the swimming I asked this question at my planning appointment and she said swimming is absolutely fine and a good excercise to do but to be sure you shower well when you get out and to shower again when you get home. was advised the only time you can’t swim is if you get broken skin then it is a definite no no.

Just another thing that might help you ladies. I bought some bio oil for me booby and scars now they are 100% healed. Amazing stuff and pretty impressed with it. Scar under my boob was looking pretty jagged round the edges and lumpy bumpy and still is a bit but the scar under boob and arm are looking great. Bit like a chip pan boob quite greasy so use old bras but recommend. Also started putting on my face at night and it’s really good. Again ya face looks like a chip pan and mirror but in the morning it’s like a babies bum and make up goes on great (once the oils is washed of). Had comments saying how good skin looks and been using it 2 weeks only. Ok of now out for food. Enjoy this lovely weather and speak soon all you Juney rads team.

Hi Dealdoh,

i started mine on 29th as well. I am already getting pain on my op side (left) where I had my sentinel node biopsy after four sessions. They said it’s from holding my arms up for 30 mins everyday?. I’m taking paracetamol everyday as the day I didn’t my arms went numb. Does anyone else have to lie there for this long? It took three attempts to get me set up correctly on Friday and then I have three different positions for treatment and am blasted four times in each position. On Friday it was 45 minutes.

lots of love to all xxx

Hi Ladies
I’m past halfway now… 8 done 7 to go. :cathappy:
Just thought I’d let you know the first sign of fatigue hit on Friday when I just suddenly felt drained about an hour after. 45 minute nap when I got home and fine since. Of course these sticky nights aren’t good for sleeping and I hope it was a one-off. Some slight skin darkening that no-one else would notice.

My sessions were about 25 minutes first week with imaging to check me before the zapping. Faster the second week after fewer pre-zapping checks.

Tip: BCN said take paracetamol only 10 minutes before treatment…they will be at their most effective for holding the position.

Have fun this week ladies :womanwink:

Had my third treatment today, feel like I’ve been hit by a sledgehammer. I thought the fatigue would take longer to kick in. :frowning:

5th session today. Pain started around my armpit at the weekend and is getting really sore. Tonight I’ve started with redness and itching around the cleavage area. They are zapping left breast and nodes so don’t know why that is happening? Any ideas?
Seeing consultant tomorrow due to stopping Tamoxifen making me spaced out and experience mum sensations in my arms. Gone now I’ve stopped the Tamoxifen xx
Lots of love