1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on not having reconstruction?

10 REPLIES 10
onwards123

Re: Thoughts on not having reconstruction?

That is so helpful. Thank you. 

Claire45

@onwards123 

I bought two post surgery bras thinking I would need to wear them for recovery. But only time I wore a bra was to leave the hospital because the nurse wanted to fit me with a comfie which actually  fitted inside my normal non wired bra!  Haven't worn a bra at all at home. 

onwards123

Thanks Claire45. This helps a lot. I am a similar size & also don’t wear a bra at home. I too have only doubted what’s best for me when others have been concerned about my decision to not go for reconstruction. Great to hear how it is possible to manage such a strange thing so well. I’ve always tried to love my body just as it is & reconstruction doesn’t feel right for me at all. Have you worn a mastectomy bra post op?  I’m not clear if you have to to support healing. or if you can just go without once you get home. Wishing you all the best going forwards. 

Claire45

@onwards123 

I am now one week post mascetomy. My op site is still covered in a small dressing along the scar site but from what I can see the surgeon has done a great job - very flat and neat. He completed respected my decision to not have reconstruction and said more and more women are choosing not too. The only time I have doubted myself was when others have queried why I wouldn't want recon but I really wouldn't want to go through more complicated surgery just to please others. 

I absolutely feel I made the right decision. I've had very little pain and I am hoping my recovery will be quick. 

I don't have enormous boobs (34c) and haven't been wearing a bra at home. I was given a comfie to wear and I've ordered a knitted knocker (free). I can also make an appt for a prosthesis if I want. 

I'm surprised by how unbothered I feel about missing a boob. I almost wish I'd had both removed for symmetry and peace of mind.

Goodluck with your op and recovery. 

Claire xxx

onwards123

Hi Claire

I hope you are doing well.  This is the route I am choosing.  I have my op in the next couple of weeks.  Did you stick with your plan or did you decide on reconstruction?  I am feeling confident that not having reconstruction is right for me but very interested in other women's experiences of this.  x

Becky87

Hi all, 

I had a mastectomy April 2020, covid restrictions meant I wasn’t able to have immediate reconstruction but have been planning to have a DIEP over the past year. 
I was offered a date for the start of September but this was cancelled again due to covid. Now back on the waiting list. I was gutted it was cancelled again but the last few weeks I’ve kinda had a U-turn and thinking of staying as I am. Im so well and healthy, and also feel proud of my scar. Also going back to hospital sent me into a dark place with vulnerable feelings for the past few months and I finally feel im emerging and I don’t want to go back!
. Also thinking about starting a family and I’m worried that when I eventually have it I will need to wait another year before I could get pregnant due to the tummy scar, and also that my original boob might change during pregnancy. 
Random brain dump on this thread but saw it and felt I wanted to contribute! Lots of thoughts flying round my brain at the moment 

Becky xx 

Claire45

Thanks, your post was helpful in making me feel I am making right decision for me. 

Claire45

Thanks for your reply. You have helped me to feel i am making right decision. 

p.anderson

Hi

I had a one sided mastectomy in 2019 aged 58.  Like you I just wanted the surgery over and done with. Listen to the professionals advice but at the end of the day listen to yourself.  You know what is right for you.

I didn't have the option of having an immediate reconstruction at the time but I had made up my mind not to have a reconstruction anyway.  I was quite a 'busty' lady and so opted for a reduction of my other breast to 'balance out' a bit better.  

I have never regretted my decision. I accepted that my body was my body and any scars were just part of my life and they didn't define me.

I live a full and active life and it is possible to get pretty post operative bras (VAT free), even sports bras. My prosthesis slips inside a pocket in my post operative bra and you would never know I had had a mastectomy if you looked at me.

BethSW

Hi! This was also my choice. Granted I’m Just coming up to 3 weeks after surgery, but I couldn’t be happier with my choice to stay flat one sided. Bit of a battle with my team - they really pushed me to have reconstruction because I’m only 37, but I knew for me it was right not to. I wanted quick recovery time and am happy to wear my scar with pride. Very happy with how fast it is healing, and pleasantly surprised how normal I feel with just my softie in place. Sure, there is some adjustment to make... but I think this is the case whatever path you choose ❤️

Claire45

Thoughts on not having reconstruction?

At the moment I have opted for a one sided mascetomy without reconstruction. I think I can live without my boob. Has anyone regretted not having reconstruction? I just want the cancer gone and the quickest recovery time possible.