1st infusion zolendronic acid

Hi
Looking for any practical tips to make sure Im ready mentally and physically for my first infusion please?

Ive had a dental check and xrays, all good
Im drinking at least 3 - 4 litres of water per day and will take paracetamol before infusion, and getting head back into the reasons im doing this is for the longer term good is there anything else i need to do?

Ta muchly

2 Likes

I think you are doing everything. I didn’t have any side effects from this infusion but hated the taste/smell of the saline flush so take some mints (tiktacs). All the best in your journey.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re doing what’s needed. My first infusion made me a bit tired and a little achy but otherwise it’s been fine. I drink plenty of water like you. I had to have a break when I needed a tooth extraction but I’ve been on zolendronic acid for about 12 years ! Try to get a port if you can if your veins are suffering.

2 Likes

99% of all patients have very small reactions zoledronic. I had a hideous reaction so stopped it after one infusion, but you are overwhelmingly likely not to have much in the way of side effects. The only tip I have is that patients who asked their nurse to give the infusion slowly seemed to fare better than a fast flow. Best of luck.

1 Like

Hello, I’ve been on it for 3 years now. I sometimes feel a little bit achy and nauseous afterwards, but really only very minor. I’d say it’s ideal to take it easy afterwards, but hopefully you’ll be fine. They’re just obsessed with 6 monthly dental checks, but again the majority are fine.

3 Likes

I’m due to have one end of January so be keen to hear how you get one. I’m on chemo til December then have root canal for January then infusion afterwards. I still don’t understand why cancer patients don’t get free NHS dental care like pregnant mothers. It’s obviously a big issue. There is also so few NHS dentists and private is so expensive!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

My first infusion is this coming Friday

I’ll post how its gone as soon as I can and any further tips

Much appreciated

3 Likes

Morning everyone

So had 1st infusion via canular Friday lunchtime ( took about 15 mins but had to wait for blood pressure to return to a normal level before they’d discharge me and as I was so anxious that took a while

I’ve had a headache since and and aching arm but took paracetamol before and since and it helped

Also used a hot cherry stone bean bag ( you warm it up in the microwave) and had noticably more pins and needles in hand but im ok ( touch wood)

Thanks again for all the tips and kind words :grinning:

3 Likes

Glad it went relatively smoothly. Keep us informed of how you get on in the coming months. Always handy to have first hand experience.

1 Like

Hi
@naughty_boob

How are you doing?

My oncologist told me today that if I wish I can consider biannual zomax infusion for 3 years as adjuvant treatment. I am on Herceptin until September.

No bony mets but already having aches and pains possibly menopause/hormone related.

What are your thoughts on Zomax?

Thanks xx

Hi @Dhillman

Nice to hear from you.

I finished radiotherapy 4 weeks ago and I have yet to have my Zoledronic acid/Zometa infusions. I’m also 6monthly over 3 years. Told it will help with bone health and I have read more recently that it can help prevent bone metastases. I have started Letrozole and am very achy in my joints. Feel like I’m 80 especially when I’ve been sitting or lying down and need to move. Still having Herceptin 3 weekly until September as well. Feel like I have flu for a few days after injection and couple of days of diarrhoea, joy! But nothing compared to chemotherapy.

I haven’t heard of Zomax so can’t comment.

How are you doing?:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hello,

Thanks for the prompt reply. How was treatment?

I am doing great I think but like you, not used to waking up with stiffness in hips, knees and also tight arms and hands like they are inflamed. Feels like they have been in a tight fist all night requiring a good stretch.

It’s ok once I get going and I cannot sit in one place too long need and have to stretch regularly. I can’t bend my right knee like I used to or sit cross legged.

I am going to gym and lifting weights and feeling strong albeit not as east as before.

I meant zoladex not zomax sorry. My cons recommend to prevent bony mets/etc. I feel like I am not getting a full picture as I thought Herceptin was supposed to do that? I dread taking anymore unnecessary drugs but not brave enough to not consider everything to stop cancer coming back.

In a quandary xx

Ha Ha got the drug name wrong again - I meant Zometa/Zoledronic :upside_down_face::crazy_face:

You take care and keep in touch :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I had a feeling you were talking about the Zoledronic acid/zometa. I hope the information I was given and the research I read has helped. For me it was part of my whole treatment plan.

Have you read this?

https://breastcancernow.org/about-breast-cancer/treatment/bisphosphonates-for-primary-breast-cancer/zoledronic-acid-for-primary-breast-cancer/

It’s got to be your choice. Maybe chat to your team again. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi
Had my 2nd infusion last Friday and had a few more side effects this time around
3 day headache
Blurred vision with floaters in 1 eye ( went after 24 hours,)
Nausea

But i can cope if i keep reminding myself this is all about a ‘normal’ life!!

Good luck anyone starting this
We are so rock and roll xx

1 Like

Had my first infusion today. Went ok. Fingers crossed no side effects.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like