20 Years Old, new to this..

Hi, I was diagnosed two weeks ago and I’m coping okay with everything, although I find it can be a little overwhelming at times. I’d really like to speak to someone of a similar age to me who is going through or has gone through this; I am having a mastectomy on the 29th October so obviously I am a little anxious about the operation and the treatment following it and would just like to hear about other peoples’ experiences. Also, as I am quite busty, I know that following the op I will be more than a little uneven and I wondered whether anyone else culd tell me how they coped with this and whether they had instant corrective surgery on their other breast or whether that was even possible? I don’t really know what else to say, it would just be nice to speak to someone else about this! Many thanks.

Dear Ferly

Welcome to the forum where I’m sure you will find a lot of support from fellow members. 

You might find our booklet on reconstruction useful.  I have attached the link:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/breast_reconstruction_web.pdf

There are also some threads about reconstructive surgery in the section Going through treatment/surgery.

It might also help to talk things over with one of our Helpliners.  They are able to offer practical information and emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Ferly, I have just been able to find the younger woman’s forum too after posting on the normal forum over the weekend. Your post caught my eye. I am 27 and was diagnosed on Friday. I would be happy to talk as I’m also finding everything very hard at the moment. PM me if you want xxxxxx

Hello i’m 19 n and have to go to a breast clinic next week so nervous im sure I have breast cancer but because my age everyone is telling me they doubt it , what where ur symptoms before you got diagnosed ? 

Thank you for both of your replies, I only just saw them. I know this is a hard time for anyone as young as us. I’m going to send you both PMs to chat further. Keep strong ladies x

Hey Girls,
I’ve just turned 30 (sept) and was diagnosed in March. Reading this makes me angry and sad as I too really find it hard to believe at our ages.

I couldn’t believe what was happening and still don’t if I’m honest. I had mastectomy in May and opted for delayed recon as I was told my cancer was aggressive. I cried going into surgery as I knew when I woke up I wouldn’t have my boob anymore and look forward to having recon all the time. Planning when I will have it and what I will be able to wear. Think clothing has been difficult and find myself wishing I could just wear anything. I found at first less of a women but I think looking forward to recon is the only way I have coped really and focusing on doing everything I can to ensure a recovery for my arm too.

Now nearly finished chemo got no. 6 in two weeks and I can honestly say I am counting down the days. I did fertility before chemo as children are high at the mo as I only found the cancer due to a loss in March at 17 weeks. I would highly recommend doing anything to help chances before chemo as you never know. If were this unlucky to get bc now then anything is possible. That’s how I think now.

Look at the positive side to everything, that’s how I m doing it. Take every result one at a time and think positively about them.

Good luck x happy to answer questions about treatment if needed x

Hi ladies, not sure if you’ve seen the thread about the younger breast cancer network? It’s a Facebook group full of ladies diagnosed with breast cancer, all below the national screening group. Sadly there are lots of young women to talk to there if you fancy it. Have a look for the thread in this section of the bcc forum, or have a look at facebook.com/ManchesterYoungerWomensBreastCancerNetwork?book…

Maybe see you on there, but best of luck with everything :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m 29 so s bit older than you guys but I did post previously to speak to people around my age and nobody came back to me. Everyone I have spoken to so far is 50 plus & while it is just as difficult to deal with at any age it is refreshing to hear from people around my age.
I was diagnosed in September & had a mastectomy & LD flap reconstruction 2 weeks ago. I’m just at home recovering. I find out the results of everything next week so will then know what follow up treatment I need if any so that’s playing on my mind quite a bit at the moment just hoping everything is ok!
Speak soon
Laura xx

Hi all

I am a little older than you guys (33) and finding this to be happening to many more younger people then I was first led to believe.

I have secondary breast cancer which was discovered during my mastectomy so I couldn’t have reconstructive surgery. I had 3 sessions of chemo which did not have the desired effect on my liver tumors so I am now on hormone therapy which places me into premature menopause.

To be honest, once I had recovered from surgery my symptoms have been fairly low key so I have had time to enjoy my two children (aged 7 and 3).

I keep a positive attitude as much as possible but sometimes it does slip. If anyone fancies a chat or meet up if not too far PM me.

Annmarie

Hi, I’m 27 years old I was recently diagnosed 3 weeks ago I’m still in shock and trying to cope with things by keeping myself busy I feel that helps take my mind off of it.

I have yet to meet anyone of a simlar age too, it would help to hear from other people maybe that would help prepare me for the operation i’m feeling abit scared. 

Hi Becks_431 and welcome to the BCC forums
In addition to the support you will soon have here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

You may find the following link to the BCC ‘Younger women’s’ information and support helpful, you are welcome to access our ‘Live chat’ or ‘One to one’ support where you can contact others with similar concerns to you :

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed in November of this year at the age of 29 with invasive ductal carcinoma. I turned 30 8 days after finding out and saw a surgeon on my 30th birthday.  I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node dissection on December 5th and am waiting on my pathology report.  I found the lump myself and everyone kept telling me “I’m sure it just a cyst. You’re too young for it to be anything else.” I knew they were wrong.  I could just feel that my news wasn’t going to be good.  I felt extremely alone! You don’t believe it will happen to you.  I still am in shock.  All of the waiting is horrible! Finding this forum has been great for me.  Its sad to say but realizing there are other people out there like me helps!

xo

Hi Hopeful123. I hope your treatment is going well; our stories are so similar as I too was diagnosed at age 29 and had lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy (clear), FEC chemotherapy and radiotherapy. My GP originally said I would be wasting the NHS’ time he I insisted on a breast referral, as he thought I was too young for it to be anything serious, but I just knew something was really wrong and insisted on the referral, and was duly diagnosed with an aggressive non-hormonal breast cancer, the same of which would claim my sister’s life at a later date. He was so shocked when he got the diagnosis, and apologised, but thankfully I had ignored him anyway! I even took out life insurance 9 months earlier, as I just knew something big was going to happen, and I wasn’t half wrong! I hope you do not feel alone. I am eight years in remission now and have just found out I am pregnant with my first child, so chin up; there is a bright future ahead! Best wishes, :slight_smile:

Hey Becks i am also 27 years old was diagnosed last december at the age of 26! Its been a year now have had a lumpectomy and am currently on chemo! Im at a similar age to you, any questions or just need to chat im here and ready to help xx hope your keeping well x

Good Afternoon. I was 20 when diagnosed (29 now) didn’t have a mastectomy though just a lumpectomy but would be happy to help you if needed. Hope you are as well as can be

Hello all,

Have never done this befor so bare with!  I am 28 and was diagnosed with invasive ductal breast cancer at the end of jan 14.  I found the lump (by accident) and went to the docs 23rd dec13.  He didnt think it was anything to worry about and said i was young and had breastfed so chances would be slim!  Thank god he sent me for checks anyway and here i am nearly two weeks after lumpectomy and sentinal lymph node surgery.  Following my results from that i am due to go in for more surgery on 26th feb, which i am finding hard to deal with as was all geared up to start all the treatment lined up!  Also itching to get any info i can on preserving my fertility - have a little 18month old little girl.  Thank youx

Hi EAM28, welcome to the BCC forums where you will find the support and information you are looking for

Along with the forum support our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you and can provide information about fertility whilst undergoing treatments so please feel free to call.

Helpline 0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

In the meantime here’s a link to the BCC younger women information and further support ideas which includes some fertility information:

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Becks_431,

Thank you for replying.  Do you know when all your treatment starts?  Everyone reacts differently to chemo etc dont they so theres no knowing how its going to be.  At least once you start its one step closer.  Untill the results of my second op everthing is a bit up in the air!  Thank you for letting me know what you know about the egg freezing.  I was thinking it would be a longer process and maybe delay chemo.  I am planning to ring my breast nurse on wed as she has been away and get some sense and the ball rolling!  Im also confused about the hormone tablets that they have meantioned that il be on for 5 - 10yrs - meaning il be 38+ by the end of it all!  So much to deal with eh?! xxx

Hi I was diagnosed in oct 2010 aged 22. I had a mastectomy, chemo, herceptin and now 2 and a half into my 5 years on tamoxifen. Any question u have I will be will to answer x

Hi no side effects with herceptin it was a walk in the park compared to chemo. How you doing? X