Any one in or around County Durham / Cleveland Area

Hi Ladies,

For you who are in Hartlepool or being treated in Hartlepool, does your breast care nurse keep in touch with you? On here I hear the ladies always saying they are always speaking to there nurse and quite frankly my nurse is useless…I can honestly say I have never spoken to her more than 5 times.

When I was dx I had a nurse from North Tees and she was wonderful, but she was only filling in as the one from Hartlepool was on holiday.

Just like to hear your thoughts…
Thanks

Lynne

“Def will arrange something for cofee when Judy gets back. Im due my 3rd EC next Wed I just want this over with! then ive been told RADS at James Cook, however I have been told your not allowed to drive when you have RADS so not too sure how im gonna work around that one!”

Lynne you will be perfectly fine to drive. I drove from Hartlepool for all of mine. I had 15 and 4 booster sessions. When you go for planning, ask for form to apply for season ticket in car park. You fill it in and take it to the travel office near the cafe in the Mall bit. I think it costs about £13 to park for 3 months. Also check out the Holistic centre. They usually offer free two different types of treatment. I had reflexology and homeopathy. I asked for early rads apps as I worked. Lied a bit here but there were faults on all the machines in the first week and I was waiting for 4 and 5 hours some days. I gather it was worse than it had ever been before. It was sorted by the second week bar the odd glitch. I got 8.30 am apps which meant I could park easily as the car park is full by 10 oclock. If you can’t park, drive as though you are leaving the hosp then go into the staff car park where a little cabin is. It is an overflow car park and no one tells you about it.

Sorry for the long posting but I got really stressed over my rads treatment and travel etc and if I can stop someone else going through the same, I am a happy bunny.

Re bc nurse. I thought if you rang wtih a problem and they suggested something, they would follow it up with a phone call but they don’t. For some reason, my bc nurse, probably same on you have, is always on holiday when I need her. My typical bad luck. I then ring Jan at North Tees.

Love
Debbie
ps aches and pains better but hot flushes and night sweats worse. I can’t win…

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the advice! I want to work around my Rads if I can too. Im not sure how many Rads I will need as only at chemo stage at min.

The BC nurse the one from North Tees was called Geraldine she was lovely, but I know what you mean about the one in Hartlepool - alwasy on holiday. I think her memory was on holiday the day I came out of my op as she advised she would send out exercises…went I went back to get my wound checked I said I didnt receive the exercises and she said oh i forgot to send them but hey you should be at this stage for Rads and held her arm abover her head - so i did exactly the same and she said wow, yeah just like that!!!

id rather cope on my own to be honest as she is no help whatsoever.

I take it with the hot flushes your on Tamoxifen?

oh also meant to ask, did you have EC treatment?

Hi Lynne

No, I didn’t need chemo. I asked her if I was ok on my usual herbal pills ie St John’s Wort, Evening primrose etc. She said yes then later said no as St John’s Wort would affect Tamoxifen. As I was leaving the room after Tamoxifen chat, I said that at least I could still take soya supplements and drink soya milk to which she replied that I musn’t, under any circumstances, eat soya because of phyto oestrogens. My mum in law, who was diagnosed 6 months before me and has had same treatment as me but less rads, was told nothing about soya and is happily consuming it in large quantities. She doesn’t believe anything I tell her anyway so I have given up warning her. Why don’t they tell you things like this. It was only because I read everything in the media that I can that I realised.

Just thought of something else about rads to tell. I felt really thirsty all the time and the water coolers were often empty so I took water with me. I also felt very tired at times. It came over me in waves but I can remember quite often going shopping ( it was december at the time ) and having to sit down or go home. I often went food shopping with my husband and would have to sit down at Tesco checkout and let him do the packing and paying. It didn’t last long but can take you by surprise.

Love and best wishes
debbie

Wow, didnt realise it could knock you so tired!!

I havent been advised to stay away from anything, ive just picked up alot from this site but my chemo nurse advised to stay away from takeaway foods as you dont know how they have been cooked/prepared etc.

Thanks for the tip about the Rads. Ive heard alot about tamoxifen, more so bad than good. He(my onc) said I may need it but will have to see after Rads.
Thanks again for the advice, its really nice of you to offer it as sometimes you can be frightened of the unknown and if someone has been thru it its good to give advice back I think.

Love Lynne.x

Hi Lynne,

You will be fine to drive through rads as Debbie said. I have had my treatment scattered all over the place and had my rads at the General in Newcastle, so had a 2 hour round drive everyday. I did get a bit tired near the end of treatment, but thought it was all the travelling more than anything else, so just take it easy and see how you go :slight_smile: The only slight problem I had with rads was that I burnt near the end of treatment, but they gave me cream to use after rads ended (it had silver in it)! and within a week or so I was fine.
Compared to chemo, its a walk in the park!

Hope to meet you all soon :slight_smile:

Yeah the burning is not nice. Not everyone gets it. My m in law didn’t. I was given graneodin ointment to apply but by Boxing Day the top layer of skin under my breast had gone and I oozed disgusting discharge for weeks. All radiotherapy dept could suggest was letting air get to it as much as possible. I tried to see a dressings nurse at the doctors but couldn’t. I saw a doctor who gave me mepore dressings which were useless as thay were self adhesive and I had no healthy skin to stick them to. Aloe Vera gel from Holland and Barratt helped. Then I got ring worm brought on by the area of moist dead skin on my breast. I rang bc nurse who said that I should have been getting visits and dressings every day from the district nurse. How I would love the benefit of foresight. Anyway…you will probably be fine so don’t worry. If it does happen try not to stress too much. You have to keep the area moist as, if it dries, the skin cracks so just slap on the aqueous cream they give you and use it as an excuse to not load washing machine etc. Lol… If you have any queries just ask

Love
Debbie

Hi Lynne

BC is grade 2 ductal carcinoma (3 out of 5 ly nodes affected). I am having six chemo, just think I phrased the sentence a bit confusingly what I meant was the last one I had (meaning previous) was number five. The last one is next Wednesday morning yee ha !! There is a bus which takes you right through to James Cook you know, runs very regularly too. You can get on at the town centre, Seaton Carew, etc there are lots of stops. When my sis had her treatment she said there is a lot of great shops in the hospital too. She has very kindly volunteered to drive me through for my rads so I’m really lucky.

Have a good weekend girls.

Diane x

I bet you cant wait!!! Im due mine next Wed morning too, but its only my 3rd - wish it was my last! I bet you cant wait? (how sad is that getting excited about chemo)!!!

Oh well, another few months of wearing this bloody bandana!

Are you on EC? How many Rads are you getting? Is your sis ok now?

As the ladies above said I will be able to drive so think im gonna do that, save me waiting around for buses but thank you for the advice.
Have a good weekend.

Lynne.x

Hi Lynne

I am on EC yeah. I am having 20 rads. My sis is okay now, she only had 15 rads cause there was just a trace in one of her ly nodes (and no chemo). Taking tamoxifen for 5 years which I will get also.

She is back to her old self out partying big time !!

Diane x

Hi Diane,

Glad your sister is out partying, cant wait to go out again and feel feminine!

Bet you cant wait for your last treatment 2morow!!

Ive got my 3rd in morning too - half way mark for me but still 3 to go - hey ho!

Hope it goes well, and hope all you other ladies are fine also.

Lynne.x

Hi girls,
Just back off my little holiday this afternoon so thought I better come and catch up with the gossip. Had a lovely time and met some really nice people. worn out now with doing nothing for a week :slight_smile: I really hope we can find a way to meet up for coffee cos there is getting to be quite a nice group here now.

Lynne & Diane hope you Ladies are feeling OK after your chemo today. Remember think positive and don’t allow the blooming poison to make you feel ill. I’m sure that’s what got me through mine so well. I had 6 cycles of EC. Just had a thought, maybe you two have already met if both having chemo at H/Pool you have probably already shared that coffee without knowing it Lol.

Suzee, I’m from Peterlee, I often go for look around market at Stockton on a Saturday. We all quite close really, only 15-20 Min’s max in car away from anyone or you. How did you arrange to meet others from this site?

I take Tamoxifen now too & nobody told me about soya either. Its sickening really how little information we are all given about anything. Its seems your only told things if you ask over and over again.

Lynne I can hardly believe we must have the same BC nurse, I had all my treatment at Hartlepool except for RADS. I find her very nice. Saying that the only time I speak to her is if I ring her with a problem, which isn’t that often now. But she has followed them up for me. She actually arranged for me to have a bone scan too, which I will be having on Friday. All Docs I asked about having any further tests brushed the idea off so I’m quite happy with her. I may need to ask about other tests now, found a lump on back of my neck this morning which is quite worrying, I hope to God its not Cancer in another lymph node. Any idea what type of scan I would need to find out? Would it be an MRI?

nicgum, if we can all work out a way of arranging a get together I would be happy to car share for any forums that we could go to. I know what you mean about public transport, I couldn’t survive without my car.

cally, I didn’t know there was a support group held at James Cook. What days & times do they meet?

Wow this is a big one bet you Ladies wish I never went away for a week, at least then this would of been broken down, Lol :slight_smile:

Take care Ladies It’s been a really long day for me so I better sign off now. Catch you all very soon.
JudyG X

Hi girls, I am in the older age group, but feel like a teenager…:-)) Live around the same area as Suzee, nice to see you posting again Suzee. Treated at NT with with rads at James Cook last year. I know Geraldine, she is lovely. I have had much contact with any of the BC nurses either. I think it is a case of if you want me, ring me. Good luck with all your treatments girls

Marge
xx

Hi Girls,

I am from just outside Peterlee, so close to Judy :slight_smile:
I will be away for a few weeks - more ops! But hopefully will get a chance to meet up when i get back!

Have fun

Hi Jossie,
Hope you get on your feet soon after your ops, hope they are a great success too what ever you having done. Good to hear your so close to me, its quite comforting in a strange way to know we are all fairly close.

Well I’m going for bone scan tomorrow fingers crossed its OK. I’m not really worried about that I am worried about this lump on my neck though. Going to call into breast clinic while I’m at the hospital & hopefully someone will see me & put my mind at rest.

Lynne and Diane hope you both doing well after Wednesday’s chemo.

Hope you all well & keeping your spirits up :slight_smile:

Take care, be back soon,
Love Judy X

Hi Judy

The support group is actually at the Holistic Centre on the James Cook site and meets the first Wednesday of each month.

love to you all

cally

Hi Judy,

Firstly, thanx for the message, Im doing fine after third chemo, it hasnt been as bad as the last one beleive it or not. Was at a resteraunt on Thursday night and at the pub yesterday for a quick drink with a friend. Just going to take it easy this weekend though before I go back to work on Monday.

As for meeting Diane, there are so many people on the chemo unit, plus I have mine done on a bed with curtains closed - not sure why as some sit in a circle and read papers…anyhow, im just glad that Dianne has finished hers now, thats the main thing.

Im sure the lump will be nothing to worry about however its best to get it checked out.

Jossie - I hope your ops go ok and do come back to chat soon.

Love to you all

Lynne.x

Hello Girls,

Hope all is well with you all. I’m from Middlesbrough…about 10 mins drive from James cook hospital. Dx on 9/01/07 age 38…IDC, grade 3, triple negative. Count me in for Coffee.

Cally - What time does the support group at james cook begin on wednesday? Can’t beleive I live 10 mins away and it never occured to me to check it out.

Love to you all

Carol x

Hi Carol

The group starts at 7 o clock on Wednesday.
Are you thinking of joining us?

love cally