Appointment farce!

I got home from my holiday last night to find I had an appointment at the breast clinic on the 8th of May regarding the strange/unknown thing in my breast. As alot of you know I have been worrying about it along with my mums breast cancer, and my daughters depression. I rang them to find out how long the appointment would take and would any tests be taking place that afternoon. I was told that my appointment had been CANCELLED this morning, and there were no more appointment slots. My doctor made this appointment on the self book appointment service, and they assured me they had not cancelled it. I phoned up quite upset as want this sorted out for peace of mine more than anything else as feel bogged down by all of it. A really lovely lady gave me a cancellation for next Thursday as she could see I was upset. I am wondering has anyone had anything happen like this before and why would someone just cancel it and not reshedule.

Also is the fact that the original appointment that was given was a month away, does that mean the doctor doesn’t class it as urgent?

I must admit one thing confuses me, if my doctor is not worried, why has she referred me at all?

Thanks guys for listening.

Jules xx

“I must admit one thing confuses me, if my doctor is not worried, why has she referred me at all?”

Hi Jules

I don’t no much about your story/history as I rarely visit here nowadays, trying to forget I had BC I think!!

Doctors are duty bound to have lumps checked, particulalry if you fit into one of the catagories they have to fullfill! That could be due to your age? the type of lump, etc. My GP was adamant my lump was a cyst as it was apparently moveable, I thought he was OTT when he referred me to the hospital - boy am I glad he did. If I was you I would be less worried than I would be relieved that they are actually paying your lump some attention (if that makes sense???).

Good luck for your appointment.

Lynn

Thanks Lynn, I am pleased it is being paid attention too, as orginally she dismissed it, but after knowing things were not quite right, I seeked a second opinion and it was then that the other doctor agreed there is something unusual in my breast. I am trying to hold onto the fact that my doctor isn’t worried as with all the other stuff going on I fear I will crack up. I am so lucky being seen next Thursday.

I am glad you are moving on and trying to put bc behind you. Good luck for the future.

My mum was dx with BC first week in March, my daughter severe depression and is under the hospital and then last week I was referred after a lump was found in my breast. (Mum is being so brave, and she told me that sometimes she forgets she even has cancer)!! She is an amazing women.

J x

Sorry if people are fed up with me going on about things, I just feel it helps me to sound off on here.

I know to some people I am worrying for nothing, but having a mum with cancer, a daughter with depression and now having to go through the ordeal of the breast cancer clinic next week, it is all getting a bit too much.

J x

hi jules,
i can reasure u that no one will be getting fed up with u on these forums. we have all been here at sometime in the past. u r not worrying about nothing. u have a genuine concern re yr health. i would be on here moaning at u to get referred if u said u were not going to bother. hope yr mum keeps well during treatment plan,and as someone who has had depression since i was 14 now forty i can relate to yr concerns for yr daughter. please come back and let us all no how u get on. i do hope it is good news. u deserve some. take care and god bless u all.
maria

Hi jules

If you feel you need some additional support please remember you can call our helpline and talk to one of our trained members of staff. Sometimes just sharing your worries and concerns can really help and our helpline staff will be happy to offer you a listening ear. The number to call is free phone 0808 800 6000 and the line is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Sam
BCC Facilitator

Thanks Maria, I have to be honest last couple of times I have posted I have felt like I am almost “invisible”, and have noticed others who have posted especially yesterday about the same subject “have i got breast cancer” being supported. I am on this site because one my mum has cancer and two because I have a lump, and it does all get me down, and I don’t want to keep phoning the helpline. Thanks for taking the time to write to me its greatly appreciated.

J x

Hi Jules

Please don’t feel ‘invisible’ when you post here.
I am sure there are many of us who can relate to how you are feeling at the moment. I was dx in 2005 and had a mastectomy etc. Unfortunately I didn’t know about this forum then, or last year when I had a bone scan to eliminate spread.
After dealing with all that whilst trying to keep things ‘normal’ for my teenage son and battling with other major health problems and had reached an all-time low.
It was only very recently that I found the wonderful support here. Thankfully I did, as I have just had another scare with fear of recurrence or new primary.
I now realise that you can’t deal with these things without support and who better to receive it from than those of us who understand.
Naturally you are going to be weighed down with fear about your lump and forthcoming appointment, plus your Mum and daughter. The waiting is awful and I’m afraid the fear won’t go until you have been checked.
In the meantime please keep writing - it does help to know you are being listened to, as I well know!
Let me know how things go - you are NOT invisible here!

Seren x

Hi there Seren

Thank you for replying to me, I suppose I am feeling very over sensitive at the moment, and felt that maybe some of the people on here felt I don’t have a right to come on here and say how I am feeling because at the moment I don’t have cancer. And yes hopefully I don’t have cancer, I will find out next week when I go to the clinic, but having a mum have it and a daughter so unwell is very draining, but thanks for taking the time to write to me its appreciated.

Jules xx

Hi Jules,

I just wanted to wish you all the best for next Thurs! Doesn’t “next week” feel like an age away? I am too awaiting my appt at the one stop breast clinic next Tues and every day seems to be taking forever.

I am thinking of you and will have my fingers and toes crossed!
Hayley
x

Hi Jules

Sorry you have felt invisible but be assured that no-one here will ever consider that you don’t have a right to be here … you have a worry about your health and you also have other issues with your Mum and daughter’s health so it’s no wonder you are feeling low and stressed. I can’t imagine anyone here would object to you posting or get fed up with your moaning … I think one of the best things about this site is that it allowed you to rant to the great out there and no-one is going to come back and say ‘get a grip’. We all have an outburst at some point.

I will keep my fingers crossed that you are one of the 9 in the 9 out of 10 cases and that when you get seen next week you get the all clear.

Thanks Hayley, I am just feel sorry for myself today. And yes every day seems to drag. I know people say that its probably nothing, but there is still the what if…

One of the receptionists at my doctors has her appointment today and she said to me yesterday although the doctor says its probably nothing, she still keeps getting really upset and keeps crying.

On the positive side, my mum is being really brave and seems to be coping with her b cancer really well and hopefully her tumour is continuing to shrink.

Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday, please let me know how you get on.

J x

And thank you too Lilac, I just read your reply. I am all over the place today, and my poor husband had to put up with me having what I can only describe as a “terrible two’s type tantrum” from me today. I just got really frustrated and took out what I was feeling on him today. I have said I am sorry since and he said he understands.

J x

J,
Your husband sounds gem! My fiance Paul, (we are getting married on 24th Aug) is also feeling the “randomness” of my cry, positive now, what if, its got worse, cry, positive again behaviour! He has taken to topping up my wine glass (twice tonight) and lots of hugs which is doing the trick!

We can be strong together, I’ll keep in touch and let you know how I get on on Tues!
H
x

Awww thanks Hayley please keep in touch I would like that. My other half Mark is good at filling my wine glass up, but I have told him I am having a few days off drinking as have been on holiday last weekend and had more than is healthy to drink lol

Since my mum was dx last month, my sister and mum have told me that I should try and cut down my wine drinking (not that I am a drunk lol) but I admit I was having more than the 14 units amount, and they do say alcohol is linked to breast cancer (it is not fair as I like a drink or two in the evening after work lol)

J xxx

Hi Jules

Im so sorry they are messing you around like this, you have enough to cope with. I also have a daughter who is a depressive bipolar I think they call it now. Hers was caused by drugs and she has tried to take her own life twice, she also used to drink binge, its very hard for us mums but if its any consolation she has gradually got better over the years. She is 33 now and has 2 beautiful daughters of her own.

I hope you are feeling better.

Yvonne xx

hi jules
hows u. any time u need to chat im always around,usually during the wee small hours when everybody else is asleep.
hi yvonne for years i was classed as a manic depressive and im now wot they call bi polar.yr daughter is a credit to u and herself for getting through so much and im sure u have supported her through it all just like jules is doing with her mum and daughter.my depression/bi polar was caused by anorexia first then bullimia. i also blame these past issues for my breast cancer, but have been told that whats wrong with me is a chemical imbalance in the brain(not producing seratonin)medication can be a great thing when needed…just need to stop convincing myself that i dont need it and that then has a knock on effect on everything else.
best wishes to u all
maria

Hi Maria

My daughter suffered from bullimia too, I find I have to be quite hard with her sometimes like today, she has a cleaning obsession too which makes her life very difficult everything has to be done before she goes anywhere so I am trying to help her understand that its not the end of the world if some things are left until she gets back. We did it together and she realised that it didnt ruin her day (the washing up not being done etc) we still had a nice day with the kids. Her eldest one has just started school and she has to have someone take her or look after the baby while she does it because she doesnt have time to do everything. Now she is just going to get her daughter to school and come home to do her work. After a while I will get her to go to have a coffee and do a bit of shopping before going back. Little at a time. I think she will be less stressed about it if she can do that. She is hard work especially as I have 4 other children but we are getting there.

Yvonne xx

Hi Jules , dont worry about sounding off there are always people to listen, i wrote to you on another thread before cos my mum is not well and I understand how stressfull it all is when you want to support others and you are not good yourself and could’nt find where ,and I have been wondering how you got on with your lump. (see you are not invisible honest)

Further to your appointment I was told that on form Gp fills in it is numbered 1-5. 1 and 2 they are more worried about and you should have referral within 2 weeks, ( hope i’ve got it round right way)
3 -5 are not so urgent and you could wait longer, Only prob I have been told with this system is that it relies on GP experience, If like me doc does not think a prob and put me down as a 3 I could of waited ages, some people wait a few weeks, luckily I did not have to and it was cancerous. Also some doc put all patients down for quick urgent app and then that mean non-urgents have to wait even longer and some of them like me could have cancer. I think they prob could do with a better system really.Hopefully yours will be a fibroadenoma or something, my daughter had those when she was about 18 and 19.
Take care
Dawn X

Hi Jules,
Its a hard time for you , but you can sound off as much as you like here,
Good luck with everything,
Mary
x