April 2024 chemo starters

This topic is for anyone starting chemo in April 2024 to share thoughts and feelings in a supportive environment.

You can find more info on chemo on our pages Chemotherapy for breast cancer | Breast Cancer Now

7 Likes

I’m due to start my chemo on March 27th, so hope it’s okay to be on here as I’m thinking most of my sessions will overlap with this group?
I’m hoping that people can give me some suggestions about what to pack for #1 chemo session - am aware about conditioner for cold cap, book /magazine and a blanket but what else are others planning to bring along? Thank you x

5 Likes

Hi im starting in april did have a date for the 10th but will be a little later now as i need a colonoscopy due to a flare up of my UC on the 19th and will be high risk of infection so cant have it during.
If your using a cooling cap take warm socks and a blanket. Also your favorite hard boiled sweets. Ive heard that the tast isnt very nice x

1 Like

Thank you for those tips…. I picked up a bargain in the M&S sale today - thermal arm/leg warmers reduced to £1.50 :sweat_smile: I’ll look a sight!

2 Likes

Hey,
I had a chemo bag which had sweets, a bottle,of water, a puzzle book, and my iPad (I took pictures of each chemo session for a memory box I’ve put together) , they provided lunch if I was there at the right time.and hot drinks throughout with biscuits.
I never had the cold cap so wasnt cold.
It’s just boring sat there for so long.
I wish you luck on your journey…you know where we all are if need support.x

2 Likes

Hi altoan, i also have my first infusion on Wednesday 27th, and would love to hear any tips on what to take. Will you be cold capping? Scared for it to start but also scared for it not to start ! X

1 Like

Hi I’m starting chemo on 4th April- had my pre assessment today. Having the PICC line that morning, and then chemo. I’m going to try cold capping, they suggested taking paracetamol beforehand as may cause headache. And they also said warm socks and clothing and I’ve bought myself a fleece blanket. Was surprised that no visitors - is that the same everywhere? Very nervous but just want to get on with it now

1 Like

Hi steph1969, I’m giving the cold cap a go too. It’s confusing my brain to think about a blanket to keep warm and a T shirt to make access easier…. And in the midst of hot sweats too!
Can certainly relate to the scared for it comment - I’ve no appointment for either PICC insertion or echocardiogram and now I’m worrying that the date might be put back because of that.

1 Like

Thanks for that tip, makes sense. No visitors at my hospital either - kept that way since covid. I’ve got a very busy weekend ahead, planned because I expected to be at my fittest since my surgery. I’m hoping to distract myself and suddenly it will be Wednesday :wink:

1 Like

I’m having the PICC inserted the morning of first chemo session

1 Like

Hi,

I have a provisional start date for chemo for 19th April. Just had my oncotype results and I have a score of 36 for a grade 3 bc no nodes involved.

Actually feeling relieved that the wait for my next steps is finally here as my 1st operation was on 7th Feb, however I’ve also just had my 3rd operation today (2nd op to get clear margins) so todays been a total rollercoaster of emotions, but glad to say am home.

Going to read all the information I’ve been given but have been told I will have 8 cycles in total (4 cycles with 2 drugs & 4 cycles with another drug) names are in my information pack and this will be done every 2 weeks. I will then move onto 7 sessions of radiotherapy, followed by tamoxifen & also hormone injections to surpass these hormones.

Any tips on cold cap & what I need to do before hand, during & after is appreciated. Am based in Edinburgh & getting treatment in the Westen General, all staff have been amazing with me.

Good luck to all also starting chemo :sparkles::sparkles::heart_hands::heart_hands:

3 Likes

PICC would be done at a different hospital, so I’m not sure that’s an option for me, but I’m glad that’s being done for you as it minimises the time it’s in place too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

@ivegotthis0220 I was told to bring hair conditioner to help with the cold cap (putting it on I assume?) I’m planning to watch some of the videos from scalp cooling kit to prepare your hair fully - Cancer Hair Care which have been recommended on other posts too

3 Likes

I was told to look at Paxman site as they make the caps. I was told 50% chance of not losing all hair, but if I did lose all hair it protects hair follicles so hair grows back quicker. Feel it’s worth a try. Off to hairdressers now to arrange to get it cut really short before I start! :scream:

2 Likes

Thank you I will have a look & bring some along. Just got my letters through this morning (really quick as was only there yesterday morning) theres a new patient meeting on 9th then 1st chemo now 18th.

I will be writing my to do list & work my way through this, from dentist appointments, bloods, hair getting cut to shoulder length then all other appointments along the way.

But, the end results will be all worth it.

Positive vibes & best wishes :sparkles::sparkles:

3 Likes

Hiya, I downloaded films from Netflix onto my phone to watch with headphones. I took magazines to read but couldn’t really concentrate. I took films I’d already watched for the first few sessions so I didn’t need to concentrate. I also took water and some food, I didn’t feel hungry though. All chemo is different but my first 4 sessions, I had to take a cocktail of tablets beforehand so the water I took came in handy! Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

@altoan @steph1969, I also start on the 27th March. I’m not a candidate for cold cap as I already suffer with neuropathy and they advised against it. Got my wig yesterday and was pleasantly surprised as it’s very like my own hair( curly hair) got them to buzz my own shoulder length of. I’m starting to feel a bit anxious today, had echo scan last week. I had lumpectomy 6 weeks ago. Grade 3 stage 2, no lymph nodes involved but Onco came back at 31.lots of mixed emotions today x

3 Likes

Wishing you all the best @pollyanna1 - emotions are all over the place aren’t they? We can only focus on what’s ahead of us each day and work on turning the anxiety into something positive - tick each session off one at a time, until it’s done x

2 Likes

Hi. I am due to start chemo in April (tbc). I’m 47 and had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy in January. Clear margins on Grade 3 24mm tumour and clear lymph nodes ER+ HER2 - Oncotype score came back as 28 so it’s x4 EC and x4 Paclitaxel fortnightly. As I am sure everyone is I’m pretty anxious but hopefully won’t be as bad as we fear. Good Luck all x

3 Likes