Atezolizumab and Nab-paclitaxel (Abraxane) experience

Hi, I’m curious to hear of pples experience of this treatment. I had breast cancer 7 years ago age 38, chemo, surgery, radiation, tamaxofine, reoccurrence 12 months later, mastectomy, zolodex and exemestemene which I tolerated well living full happy life. 

I was Diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in Feb due to a pleural effusion which is currently really well managed with a drain. The cancer though has changed to triple negative. 

I’ve been offered this combo of weekly IV Immuno and chemo which I’m told is quite new. 

I wondered if people who have experience of this would mind sharing, and also if they used cold cap, which I didn’t first time round, but would be interested in if I do this treatment. 

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi welcome to the forum , you might find some people with experience of this treatment in the triple negative secondary section too so may be worth posting there . I hope this treatment works well for you x 

forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Triple-negative-secondary-breast/bd-p/Triple_negative_secondary_breast_cancer

Hi. I am 68 years old and was diagnosed with triple negative secondary BC in March. No primary was found but I have secondaries in lymph nodes in left armpit and many tiny suspicious nodules in my lungs. I started with Abraxane - 3 weeks on and one week off for 6 - 8 months and Atezolizumab every other week for as long as I need it on 12th June. During the first cycle I had a few side effects but nothing serious apart from severe acid reflux (I have a leaky valve) so have had to go back on full meds for that. I had first treatment of my second cycle on Monday and so for the only side effect is hair loss and constipation.

I hope this helps. 

I am on a different immunotherapy: Pembrolizumab, but which like Atezolizumab breaks the PD-1 - PD-L1 pathway.  I am also on NAB-Paclitaxel. My treatment is for PD-1 positive metastatic TNBC that has spread to my liver. I have pembro once every 3 weeks, and NAB-Paclitaxel 3 weeks on, one week off. I have been on this treatment for 7 weeks, so have had 3 doses of pembro and 2 full cycles of chemo, and have had no particular issues so far.  I cold capped during the first session when I had chemo for my primary cancer last year, but gave up because I lost a significant amount of hair. That was on EC, which is harsh on hair. After my 7 weeks of current treatment, I have hair loss but am not bald. I don’t think my oncologist lets people with metastatic cancer cold cap in case they have new mets popping up in the brain area. 

Hi @Sedona i thought I’d see how you’re doing? I’m on this treatment plan: 3 weeks on and 1 week off. Immuno day 1 and 15 and then chemo all 3 weeks.

I’ve found it to be ok, main side effect are gastric issues and fatigue. Just finished my first 3 months in treatment and my scan shows that things are the same/stable which I guess is better than progression!

Hope to hear back from you

:mirror_ball:

Have you started Abraxane straight away or did they try you on Paclitaxel first? I tried Paclitaxel twice: once at normal speed, second one on slow release but both times the treatment had to be stopped straight away due to allergic reaction. Now it’s up to my oncologist to give the go ahead at what’s next. I am petrified. I hope she gets me on to Abraxane as soon as.

I was on a clinical trial to begin with which worked for 6 months, then moved onto Capecitabine which didn’t work at all. Tolerated all these with no major issuses. And now this - BOOM with Paclitaxel. I tolerated docetaxel 4 years ago with no allergy issues.

I was diagnosed with ER/PR+/HER- (in December 2016, had a local recurrence in 2020, liver mets diagnosed in March 2023) although it has now slightly changed into low HER+. I am also BRCA2 positive (had double mastectomy with reconstruction, ovaries removed as a precaution).