Axillary node clearance recovery times?

Hi
Looking for a bit of advice around recovery times and what to expect. I had full axillary node clearance and ten days later my arm still feels tight and heavy. I am doing the required exercises every day but wonder when my arm will start to feel normal. Worried about lymphedema too and wonder if this heaviness is it or is it too soon after surgery to know? Any advice much appreciated x

Hi sl255

I think mine was a good 6/8 weeks before it started to not feel like I had a lump in my
armpit, make sure you continue with the stretching
exercises as they definitely help.

I had my surgery at the end of November. It definitely took longer to recover from than the
initial surgery I had but I was warned this would happen.

If your worried give your BCN a ring on Monday, I got a seroma with mine that took a while to
go down as well.

Sending hugs
Jackie xx

1 Like

Many thanks Jackie! x

Hi I’m over 12 months beyond this and along with the exercises, combine Acupressure point massage along with TTeam. Google Mosche Feldenkrais for the TTEam. Basically its is utilizing circular massage around a clock face in circles of abt 1 1/2 ". yu start at 6 and move the skin all the way around, then continue to 9.
Only do one circle at once on each part of your arm. then leave for a day or 2. This re-awakens the nerve endings in your brain and subsequently your arm.

There is a pressure point between you thumb and forefinger which can be massaged and helps heal many things, but has the chance also of re-awakening nerves through your arm.
Lastly i suspect visualisation can also benefit this.
i have to admit some sensations are returning, so can definately recommend, once you have researched it for yourself. Moonsox

2 Likes

Thanks yes it’s very slow and feel like I am going backwards maybe that’s just the nerves getting into place - will try BCN tomorrow. X

I know how you feel! I had a full axilla node clearance on the 14th Feb and my arm is still very sore. I’ve been doing the exercises but I still can’t raise my arm very high. Hope you start to feel better soon x

You too! Not a very pleasant Valentine’s Day for you! Slow progress and weird that one day is good and next day bad. I can just about lift my arm up. For me next stop is chemo.

Best with your recovery too!