Breast reduction offered

Hi all, new to the forum and just looking for some guidance.

I was diagnosed with HER2- ER/PR+ in February of this year. I am due to have surgery in the next few weeks and have been offered a boob reduction at the same time. My surgeon has explained that after I have radiotherapy it is difficult to have further surgery, so has offered to do a breast reduction at the same time as my lumpectomy.

I am a G cup and had thought about a breast reduction for years, but was surprised this is offered as part of preventative treatment. I have health insurance and the surgery is covered through them.

Has anyone else had this? If so what am I expect for recovery? How long until I can drive etc? I know the recovery will be longer, so how many bras should I buy?

Any and all advice is welcomed! X

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I was bi lateral (both) boobs for my lumpectomy so my situation is not the same as you.
Im 3 months post radiotherapy and i keep being asked by the breast care nurse if my boobs have shrunk as it very common. Unfortunately mine have shrunk (yet).

Hopefully you will get a response from someone in the same situation as you.
Or you could call the BCN nurses who would be able to talk you through this.

• Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I had a therapeutic mammoplasty on 31st January 2024, after a diagnosis in the right breast. I was a H cup before, tettering around a D/DD now. I was discharged from hospital the next day with PICO dressings which were amazing. I travelled to Liverpool by ferry 12 days later for a short break. Was fit for walking and sightseeing.
I dont drive, so cant comment on that.
Just finished a week of radiotherapy last week, feeling exhausted, but that was to be expected. I haven’t bought any new bras, incase the size/shape changes after treatment, other than soft post surgery ones, which I had to wear for 6/8 weeks constantly. Got them in M&S. I am able to go braless for the 1st time since I was a teenager.
Good luck with your surgery.

2 Likes

I saw this post and thought of you @waitingistheworst somebody else had a reduction on the non cancerous boob. They are happy to answer questions.

Hope it helps.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

BCN are running a forum users survey, if you have the time here’s the link Forum evaluation survey

1 Like