Diagnosed yesterday 19 Jan 24

Thank you, I’m not amazing just a survivor. I’m not ashamed of having no breasts although the pockets are fluid like still. They did 4 biopsies at once and after the surgery I saw the constant who said they removed everything but couldn’t find the cancer so suggested going in to take a bit me off to make sure a few cells were not left I agreed and had that done on 11 jan my mastectomies was done 30th November last year. I go tomorrow to see if any was left. It is possible to have got it all during the biopsies. Mr consultant was worried he removed my breasts for nothing as the didn’t see the cancer after checking but I wasn’t sorry. My right breast after reconstructive surgery was left with lots of oily cysts which were painful. You would often see me with my hand up or down on my boob massaging it, so no regrets of having them removed. I was originally a 38-40 E bra depending where I purchased the bra from.
Everyone handles the cancer news differently like me Iv never had an issue with my cancers except the last time because they said ‘we don’t know how you got it again’ these words stuck in my brain waiting to go for scans to waiting for the results I cried when I was on my own and constantly smile in public.
In 2014 I had just seen my doctor re medication check the next month when I had gone back to see her she looked at me in shock, within that month I had been diagnosed with cancer and had, had the op I was going to get a certificate for work from her. This last cancer was the longest waiting got results then my op got cancelled because my surgeon got covid so all ops were cancelled and re booked it was just one of those things.
My aunt was 55 when we lost her she was in denial about going to see the doctor and although she got the all clear later she got secondary cancer. My nan was 81 when she got it, my aunt was in her mid 40’s. She is still with us at 76 last November
I lost 2 cousins both 40 but one was a smoker and one was not cancelling her holiday and needed to do this and that. My other cousin got cancer last July 62 she is doing ok. My other cousin had it she is good I was the only one who needed a mastectomy the other has lumpectomies just a small part of the breast removed.
Yes Iv been through the mill with infections in my breast hospitalisation for 5 days due to IV drugs but I’m still here and still have a smile on my face and I’m always happy to chat to anyone about my cancer, feelings and emotions and happy to show my breast such as they are to anyone if I think it will make them think and check them yourself.
I don’t know where you live but in the U.K. Iv noticed that they don’t show you how to examine yourself in the 80’s it was always on tv but not now, not enough advertising is done to support people’s knowledge on breast cancer in women and men.
Sorry to have gone on and on.
Good luck with your results, medication if they haven’t started you on anything yet and most of all you have the final decision that only you can decide. Sadly I don’t have children lost 3 during miscarriages but I have 3 cats and a supportive husband we have been together since I was 15 next year will be our 40th sadly Iv lost both my parents now but my aunt, my mums baby sister is my aunt /mum to me we chat Monday-Friday and weekends if my cousin is available as she lives with them so I’m never lonely as I still can’t do much until Iv healed
Please let me know how you get on. Alison

1 Like

Alison it’s lovely speaking with you, I love hearing about other people’s journey, it would never bore me.
Like you I met my Husband at 15, got married in 1960I had my first Daughter in 62 then a son in 64, and in 71 I had another Daughter.
I had a full hysterectomy before the change of life, as I had fibroids and active cells, and had hormone implants for several years. I like you have had a lot of surgery including major back surgery,
My Husband and I have been married for 63 years, I was only 17 and my Husband 19, he is amazing looks after me well, he has had major surgery he had a heart attack and a triple bypass, and he has problems with his eyes, glaucoma, macular degeneration and dry eye, but we keep going.
I live in Taunton Somerset, in a small village just outside of the town.
It’s good that you are taking steps to make sure you heal properly, keep me up to date with scan etc, and please keep chatting it probably helps us both.
Love to you and your Husband
Ann xx

@poppy21 our paths could well have crossed at MPH!

Hello
It was my first appointment last Friday 19th Jan, I was so scared but I found everyone so supportive, the experience wasn’t so bad, I have an appointment on Thursday to discuss the plan and a date for surgery.
Have you written on this forum, I find it pretty hard to read some of my posts, it’s not the easiest of sites.
Look forward to speaking with you
Annxx

I have written several times. I should have been been at Beacon Centre last Friday for my 3rd chemo, but I discovered in the morning that I had picked up covid so I had to stay away.
The staff are always very kind. It might seem frustratingly slow at times, but they have to get all the information before they can treat you. I think the majority of us here have discovered that there are many forms of breast cancer, which need different treatments.
I am sorry that you have found yourself here, but they will look after you x

I am 80 now. I was diagnosed with invasive lobular cancer in my left breast last June and had surgery on 7 July. I had a mammogram, ultrasound and two biopsys and it appeared not to have spread which proved to be the case. I wasn’t shocked as I had an inverted nipple so was sure beforehand that it was cancer. I thought about how this was going to affect my life and what I could cope with given that my husband who is 84 has health issues. I knew my son would do what he could and his former partner offered help. I was given information about lumpectomy after which I would need radiation therapy. After much consideration, I decided that the correct course for me was a mastectomy. I had wonderful support from the hospital team but the choice was mine. I had the surgery and lymph nodes were taken during the operation to be tested. I was in a day ward. I got there for 7.30 am and was back home by about 7 pm. About 10 days later when the dressing was removed I was told that the cancer had gone. The lymph nodes were as predicted clear. I am now on hormone therapy which has been good so far with very little side effects. I can understand how you felt and coping with the shock would shake you but at the end of the day you have to decide what is best for you. I have not regretted my decision as I chose what was best for me. You need to consider your options. I expect you have a breast cancer nurse you can contact so, if necessary, ask questions. It helps to feel that you have some control over what is going to happen.

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear that, my husband and I had it last Feb, it wasn’t to bad, just cough and cold, but it took a while for the all clear.
I don’t want you tell me if you don’t want to, but have you had surgery, I should get a date tomorrow, just would like it gone, it’s horrid thinking you have something inside your breast and it’s cancer, I don’t feel so bad in myself, just get a strange temperature every afternoon for about an hour, then it goes.
This afternoon I have got to have two stitches out, had a place on my leg so they scraped it off and did two biopsies, so I am waiting on the results, just hope it’s ok.
How do you have chemo, is it a drip, or something else.
I hope you are well enough to get your chemo treatment soon
Keep in touch
Annxx

1 Like

Hi Ann
I’m clear this morning so will be able to have bloods and picc line check this afternoon.
I think we’ve both avoided covid for nearly 18 months, so probably due another dose.
I had single mastectomy last September. Mr Gill was my surgeon. If he is yours you are in very capable hands. He also did mastectomy for a friend 13 years ago, so as she said he’s probably got the hang of it by now!
Chemo for me is by picc line, which stays in my upper arm for whole 5 or so months, being checked weekly. They infuse drugs through picc every 3rd week, unless I catch covid like I did last week.
Good luck for tomorrow. Hopefully you won’t need chemo or any further treatment after surgery x

1 Like

I am under Mr Sidia, and my nurse is Tina, he told me last week that it hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes, but I will no more tomorrow, when I get the results and a plan of action.
It was such a shock when I found this walnut sized lump, it felt very hard, the Doctor who did the biopsy said I have a big one and a smaller one, if it means having my breast off, well I can live without it, not so certain about the operation, how long did you stay in hospital, did you have a pre operation assessment.
You are very good, you have been through it, I was in hospital in October, and had a pick line for antibiotics and fluids, they tried 5-6 times for a catheter, it was ok at first but then it started leaking so they changed to pick line,
When I was at the clinic last Friday, I was surprised at the elderly people and some very young, it’s so scary, but I want to feel positive.
I hope if you have your chemo you are ok, bless you
Thank you for sharing with me your journey.
Love
Annxx

It wasn’t such a surprise to me. I noticed a lump about 2.5cm on hols last summer. Went to gp when I got home, who referred me. I was surprised when ultrasound showed at least 2 similar size tumours at opposite sides, so mastectomy only real option. I just wanted them gone. I was surprised after surgery that there were several growing in a star shape. Four lymph nodes removed. All clear. I was in hospital at 7.30am and home by 7pm. Would have been earlier but my bp was very low.
Pre op was a week earlier, where they injected some sort of dye into the breast, which finds it’s way to the sentinal node by surgery day so surgeon can find it and remove it.
Whatever you find out tomorow you will be ok x

Thank you so much for sharing with me.
I noticed a lump it felt big, it’s to the right of my nipple and pretty hard, I had a mammogram and ultra sound during this they also took two biopsies, the Doctor doing the ultra sound said it looks like cancer, after I saw the consultant/surgeon who also told me he is pretty certain it’s cancer, he had a talk with me along with the nurse, he said an appointment for next Thursday (today) they would draw up a plan, give me a date for surgery, I did feel a bit relieved at that point.
Like you my Husband is 83 and has lots of medical problems, he had a heart attack and bypass, and has glaucoma, dry eye, and macular degeneration, lots of eye drops, but I am grateful to have spent 60+ years together, we even think the same.
I live in Taunton Somerset.
It’s good that you go in and come home on the same day, that suits me, I am not good with being totally knocked out, I am generally sick and get a collection of mucus back my throat, but I think they can give you a anti sick injection.
I will know more today, and hopefully not worry so much.
If they do a total mastectomy, I will look a bit strange as I have fairly large breasts, but can get something to look similar.
What are you able to do after the operation, and is it painful, I would assume no showers.
I am so pleased to talk with you, I am 81, not the fittest of people, we have a camper so try to go away in the summer, last year my Husband had his cataracts sorted so we didn’t get away as much as we would like, and now this problem with me.
I am grateful for everyday, and my three children all live close, they often pop in when not working.
It’s lovely to talk with you.
Annxx

I also do not like being knocked out. I was treated at RUH Bath so I don’t know if other hospitals have the same way of dealing with surgery, etc. I was checked by the aneasthetist prior to the op and I told him I was nervous. When I got to the theatre area I was with staff in a neighbouring room(I think) where I was prepared for the operatiton. The nurse chatted to me while I was being prepared and kept me relaxed until I was anaesthetised. Next thing I knew I was back in a bed on the Day Ward. A nurse who looked after me all day kept me going throughout. They like to get you up as soon as possible and eventually you get dressed in your own clothes. You have to be able to eat and drink before you leave. They give you pain killers before the operation and advise you to take paracetomol, ibruprofen every four to six hours and they give you a stronger pain killer to take if you need it. You are advised to take the pain killers. Do not wait until you feel pain. I don’t remember being bothered by pain at any time. The operation area tends to be numb because nerves have been disturbed. You eventually get maybe a little stab which lets you know that the nerves are recovering. You have to take things easy as you recover over the first weeks. My dressing was on for about 10 days. The stitches dissolve. I was worried about showering and getting the dressing wet so I ordered adult wet wipes from Amazon which I used for the first week or so. I also bought five shower and conditioner packs from Amazon which I used to freshen up my hair. Once I had the dressing off I was able to shower and I used only clean towelling face cloths to dry the scar area. You will also want either scar oil or a scent free skin lotion to look after your scar. I used Aveena skin relief and Bio Oil still on the scar area.
I was about to have cataracts removed when the cancer was diagnosed so had to postpone that. I have now had both eyes done, the second one being two weeks ago.
I hope this is not too much information. I had a wonderful team at RUH Bath and they made what was a nightmare situation so much easier. I had complete confidence in them. If you want to know anything specific, please contact me if you want. It is a strange situation when you are our age no matter how fit we are but it is not impossible to deal with. I was dealing with it very much on my own but I am a bit of an introvert so it suited me to just get on with it.
I hope you feel reassured by your support team and that you get your surgery soon without having too much time to worry about.
Best wishes
Anne

Sorry I referred to ‘shower and conditioner packs’ That should have been shampoo and conditioner caps

Anne

Hi Ann

I understand almost feeling relieved that there is a plan for you. As we are at the same hospital I can confirm mastectomy for me in Surgical Admission, just beyond the Breastcare Clinic at 7.30am, home by 7pm. I was a little sick after they had got me to drink my way through a jug of water and eat a sandwich, and again in the evening after having a small meal. They give you anti sickness meds and pain meds, and more to take home.
I’ve just had my prosthesis, so after not bothering with the softie for the last few months as I’m all wrapped up for winter and nobody can notice, it seems strange having something there again.
I hope you don’t have to wait long for your surgery. From my initial gp referral to surgery was just under 2 months, with the various tests and scans on between, so hopefully you won’t have long to wait x

Hi
I wanted to get back to you to say what happened today.
When we arrived at the breast clinic my named nurse took me and my Husband into a room, then Mr Sidia came in, he explained to us that I have a big lump with a smaller lump coming off it, they haven’t had all the results, but he told me I have a grade 2 invadine carcinoma, but slow growing so he told me the plan so far, I have to have a MRI scan and a CT scan, should get an appointment soon, maybe over the weekend or beginning of next week, then they will decide if I need chemo or not, and as soon as the results from scans are back he will phone me and see me again to discuss the plans for operation,
I suppose all these things take time, the Nurse said do everything as normal, so I will try.
Did you have your chemo today.
Yes it must be strange not having a boob and then suddenly you have something there, to be honest, like you said it’s Winter and nobody would notice anyway, to be honest as long as you are comfortable it doesn’t matter.
Love
Annxx

Hi Ann
I also had mri and ct with contrast before surgery. I guess to check if any cells have broken away. After those scans everything seemed to happen pretty quickly.
My chemo is tomorrow, depending on blood results from yesterday. Hopefully they’ve sorted themselves out after my bout of covid stopped last week’s treatment.
I hope you don’t have to wait long x

Just an update, went to hospital breast clinic today, saw my consultant and my named breast nurse, he explained I have a big lump and a smaller one coming off it, the biopsies confirmed I have a grade 2 invadine carcinoma, a few other numbers written underneath that I can’t understand, he told me it’s slow growing, but the next plan is for me to have a MRI and a CT scan, hopefully over the weekend or beginning of next week, then he will decide if I need chemo, and after he has seen the results, he will make an appointment to tell me and talk about the next stage and surgery.
So it’s a bit of a waiting game, but at least they are very kind and explain everything.
I will get some of those shampoos, can’t stand not washing my hair or showering, I buy lots from Amazon prime.
Most people I have spoken to say you go in at 7ish and come home the same day.
Love talking with you
Love
Ann

1 Like

Dear Poppy I was so pleased to hear from you. I am sure things will turn out well. I am now in a hotel with my daughter as we are going to my brothers funeral tomorrow. I am afraid we have been drowning our sorrows after a six hour drive to Wales. Tomorrow I will read your post fully and reply in full. I just wish you all the best wishes in the world. Love xxxx

Oh you have reassured me, as I had not heard anyone who had an MRI and CT scan, so that concerned me a bit, will I need anything else, they did think the scan would be the weekend or beginning of next week, it would appear that how he was talking it would most probably be a lumpectomy,
I hope all goes well for you tomorrow, I did have lots of blood tests at the Doctors surgery, most looked ok just two that said abnormal, but by a very low margin.
Lovely hearing from you.
Love
Ann

Hi just wondering where you got your softies from hospital gave me one but would like a couple more in different sizes
Thanks