Diagnosed yesterday 19 Jan 24

Hello are you in the U.K. if so M & S they do softies and natural, black or white insert so you can wear your own bra then you don’t need to have the bras with built in pockets you also get your VAT off which is good.
If outside the U.K. then don’t know, good luck

Thank you I am in the uk so will give M&S a visit :+1:t2:

Hello. My experience seems very similar to yours, and I am also having a ct scan on Sunday, and an MRI next Wednesday. I have a follow up face-to-face appointment with the consultant in 2 weeks time and understand that I will probably be given a date then for surgery.
Although it has come out of the blue for me, I was reassured by the consultant that I would get through this, and I’m focusing on remaining positive. I’m not ready to give in, or give up and I’m in my 70s……

Hello
Yes this is such a shock, I only noticed the lump when I was putting on my nightdress, it was difficult as it was New Year’s Eve, so I had to wait before I could contact my Doctor until the Tues, but everything after that happened pretty fast.
Yesterday I saw consultant and my breast care nurse, I didn’t feel rushed, he explained that I have a grade 2 invasive carcinoma, then it says ER8-positive and a PR8- positive, 1 result hasn’t come back yet, he did say it was slow growing, and I have a big lump with a smaller one coming off it, but lymp nodes are clear, he said after the results from MRI and CT scan he would decide on what surgery is best for me, and also if I need chemo.
I have just received a call from the hospital the date for CT is 31st Jan, I haven’t had a call from MRI appointment yet.
Did you ask why you needed CT AND MRI scans, I understand it’s incase it’s some where else, so I will be glad to get it sorted.
I am a bit black and blue where I had biopsies, but it’s nice to shower again.
I am in Taunton Somerset, keep chatting to me I find it helps a lot, I am 81 and trying to keep positive.
Annx

Hello Anne
I hope the funeral went to plan, I lost a Sister last year with bowel cancer, it was so sad.
Just wanted to ask you if you had a CT scan and a MRI, I have the date for CT scan 31st Jan, but waiting for a call from hospital for date for MRI, the consultant said I needed both it’s the next stage of the journey, once he has results he will phone me for a date to see him.
Look forward to hearing from you when you have time, no rush.
Love
Ann

H
I think you meant to contact coralmary who was going to a funeral.
I, personally, didn’t get a CT scan or an MRI. I had mammogram and ultra sound and biopsies. My cancer was lobular ER+ PR-. The sentinal lymph node was removed during surgery and tested. It may be because I chose a mastectomy without reconstruction and did not want the option of a lumpectomy. That meant I went on to hormone therapy after surgery. Are they considering a lumpectomy for you?
Regards
Anne

Hello again Ann and thank you for your reply.
Your experiences sound just like mine!
After seeing the consultant yesterday, I had a call from the hospital in the afternoon, with an appointment for a CT scan on Sunday. Then, today, I’ve had another call from the hospital with an appointment for my MRI scan on Wednesday.
I have a grade 2 lobular cancer, which doesn’t seem to have spread to my lymph nodes, but the consultant wants me to have the CT and MRI to rule out any doubt. I was given loads of information which I am reading and trying to digest. It all seems a bit surreal at the moment, and I know I’m only at the start of my “journey”, but so far I am amazed at how lovely the breast clinic team at my hospital have been, and how quickly things are moving along. I live in Suffolk, and feel very fortunate to have such a caring team looking after me.
I hope you get your MRI scan date through soon. In the meantime, take care.
Lynne xx

Hi Ann

I have been thinking back to my appointments at the beginning. At first appointment with a surgeon she described a lumpectomy to me. I then received a letter from her confirming the discussion and suggesting that it might be good to reduce the size of the tumour before a lumpectomy which I assumed would be done with chemo. She was going to be off work so I had an appointment a week later with the surgeon who ultimately carried out the surgery. I told him then that I had given it a great deal of consideration and wanted a mastectomy without reconstruction and I was given my date for surgery about two weeks later. My breast was small so the thickened area was easily felt and the tumour was tethered to the nipple which was inverted. Once I decided on the mastectomy the size did not matter as it was all removed. They obviously want to give you as much information as they can before you decide on the type of surgery.

1 Like

Dear Poppy,

I only read your post now. How’s everything with you?

I am in my 60s. Bc 3 years ago. Both of my hormones were very high, 5cm tumour and a small satellite nearby, HERS seemed positive but another test said it was negative. I had chemo (EC and Taxol). Then 5 high doses radiotherapies and Letrozol for 5 years. I am halfway through with this pill.

Please keep us updated. We are here for you. Ok?

Best wishes!

Hello Smiley
I will message you later, I am just off to breast clinic to see my consultant/surgeon
Ann

1 Like

Thank you for contacting me, every story helps me and makes me more positive,.
On Saturday 10th Feb had a MRI when I woke on Sat morning I noticed my face was drooping and my eye was strange, but I just wanted this 50 minute scan done my worst nightmare, had them before for back surgery, and just hated them.
Anyhow I stuck it out and got it done, I went home and through out the evening my face was worst but not in any pain other than couldn’t close my eye, so on Sunday phoned 111 but I hung on for almost 1 hour, and gave up, sent message and photo of my face to GP, on Monday morning I was sent straight to hospital, they were concerned it was a stroke but after all the tests blood pressure and bloods taken they realised I had bells pulsey, so I am on 50mg of steriods for 10 days.
Today I was due to see my consultant / surgeon but he rang me to say my ct scan and mri are clear, so I nearly fell to the ground, I am also waiting for a squamous cell carcinoma to be cut out of my lag with skin graft, due to the steroids the wound doesn’t heal so well, so he wants to wait until I stop the steriods, but I am meeting with him on Monday to talk about what surgery is best for me, but I am starting on tablets while I am waiting to shrink the lump, my cancer lump is fed by estrogen so it’s good that I am getting action, I was diagnosed on Jan 16th with 44mm and adjoining 17mm lump, I spotted it on New Year’s Eve, I was so scared, I am 81 and still enjoying life together with my Husband.
I am hoping it will be sorted before the summer.
Kind regards
Ann
It was lovely hearing your story please keep in touch.

3 Likes

Dear Ann,

Wow, you have had quite a case since your diagnose. I admire your great attitude and you will see it will help you a lot. :smiling_face::heart::pray:t3:

Best wishes,
Olga

Hello Olga
Thank you for your hind reply, did you have surgery, or were you just treated with tablets.
While I am on steriods it slows the healing so I spoke with breast consultant/ surgeon, yesterday, I am seeing him on Monday, he is going to talk about the best surgery for me, and maybe start on tablets to shrink the cancer, I was so pleased to hear from him yesterday, he rang me and said my scans were clear all good, so that was a step in the right direction.
Keep in touch
Best wishes Ann

1 Like

Hi Ann,

Mine tumour/s were reproducing very fast so surgery (mastectomy) took place quite soon. From the beginning of all hospital tests due to suspicious mammogram and echocardiogram it only took 3 weeks.

Before that, a routine mamo/echo had taken place 1 month before the hospital tests. As the follow up results were BI-RADS 5, then everything went fast with hospital tests and appointments.

Each case is so different and, at this moment, you need to take care with that infection as treatments, especially chemo, deplete our immune system. But we do recover! :smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Olga

Mine is the slower growing cancer, it’s fed by estrogen from the body, I am ER8 positive and PR8 positive, waiting for HER results, should get them on Monday.
It is hard to believe something this size growing in your breast and not noticing it before, I am not certain how long it took to get to this size without me seeing it before very strange.
Although I have this bells Pulsey and face drooping and eye very dry and sore, I feel ok in myself thank goodness.
I hope you are doing ok, keep up with the tablets, I am sure it’s going to make sure you are cancer free, how did you find the operation, did you have one or both removed.
Thinking of you. Xx

1 Like

Dear Ann,

The mastectomy was only for my right breast, lymph nodes were fine, thank God. The pain took around 5 -6 weeks, I think normal recovery time. It was good timing before starting chemo.:+1:t3:

Each case is different so remain positive.:smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Olga

Hello Jlshopper
Did you get the scans sorted, and have you had any news.
My scans came back clear, thank goodness.
After the MRI, I have now got bells pulsey, been on steroids for ten days, just finished them, I couldn’t have any surgery while on steroids.
I saw my consultant last Monday, he told me no surgery until I am off them, but he has put me on letrezole to shrink the lump, stop me making any estrogen, so at least it’s a start.
I am having a squamous cell cut out from my lower leg first with a skin graft, pre med on 4th March, so should be soon after that date, then the breast cancer surgeon has said I will have a lumpectomy, so I am hoping all this will be sorted before the summer.
I believe you said you were in your 70s and I am 81 and will be 82 in October.
At the moment with all that’s been thrown at me I feel mentally strong thank goodness.
Please let me know how you are getting on, look forward to hearing from you
Ann

1 Like

Hello Smiley
How are you.
I can’t remember if Iold you, I have now got bells Pulsey, been on 10 days of steroids, just finished them, I can’t have any surgery until the steroids are out of my system, so my surgeon has put me on Letrozole to shrink the lump,
I am due to have a squamous cell carcinoma cut out of my lower leg and a skin graft, my pre med is the 4th March for my leg so should have a date soon after, will be glad to get one thing sorted.
Look forward to hearing from you
Ann

1 Like

Dear Ann,

I am glad that things are moving forward and that your Drs are seeing for your particular needs and wellbeing. Yes, you mentioned the steroids. One thing less!:smiley::tada: You will see, one day at a time, step by step.:+1:t3: Maybe, if you see it as a positive thing that could help you, you could make a list of the procedures and tick off each time one is done. That helped me. Like trining as athletes and aiming for the goal. You can do this, Ann​:blush::ribbon::muscle:t3:!

Do you have other family members and friends nearby that are supporting you when needed? I hope so.:pray:t3:

The nurses here in Brest Cancer Now might also give you some tips and orientation, if you wish, apart from your bc nurse at your BC Clinic. Anyway, we are always here to support you.

Sending you a big hug with a big smile. Okay?

Best wishes,
Olga

Hello Ann and thanks for your message. I’m glad that you are mentally strong and I’m convinced that a positive attitude is really important, so stay strong.
A lot has happened in the last week or so, and I’ve now had a mastectomy (last Thursday). I’m at home now, being looked after by my husband of almost 55 years, so feel very blessed. I have a chest drain in and the district nurse comes in every day to check things like blood pressure, wound dressing etc. I felt very tired initially but am feeling stronger with each day that passes. I have an appointment at the breast clinic on 4 March and then an appt with oncology in 3 weeks time (no date yet). We’ll see what that brings but I’m expecting radiotherapy and hormone therapy treatment ongoing. I entered into a clinical trial and started taking Letrozole but as my surgery was brought forward (cancellation arose), and I had only been on Letrozole for 6 days, my surgeon told me to stop. Apparently, the minimum length of time for taking Letrozole and continuing in the trial is 10 days……so, I believe I will be on that medication as part of my ongoing treatment, but I have to wait to find out. I understand that I also had a couple of lymph nodes removed but, again, I have to wait until my follow-up appt to find out what the situation is. Meanwhile. I have lots of support from family, for which I’m thankful, and feel I’m getting stronger every day. Looking forward to the spring and summer, longer days and better weather.
Take care of yourself Ann, and let me know how things are for you. Lynne xx