Diagnosed Yesterday Afternoon

Hello Everyone,

I was diagnosed with IDC yesterday afternoon and I am completely and utterly shocked. I knew what to expect from my mammogram but seeing it confirmed via biopsy is different. It’s such a surreal thing to have to go through. I’m feeling so numb right now. I’m in a tough space between being grateful that I caught it (I don’t know my staging yet) but also being terrified of what’s to come. I don’t have a plan in place yet and I feel like I’m experiencing new symptoms that may indicate that things are on the move. I don’t know what else to say and am trying to stay hopeful bit it’s very difficult. Any virtual hugs or words of encouragement/experience would be awesome!

21 Likes

The waiting is always really hard - some of us feel it’s the worst. As regards those symptoms you mentioned , yes that sounds familiar . I remember that although my cancer was diagnosed on the right and lymph nodes were clear on scan I was having twinges of pain and discomfort in both armpits and breasts which miraculously cleared up after surgery.

So sorry that you have found yourself here. Try to take a day at a time talk to a good friend or two , do things that make you happy . Stay busy and stay off Google .

With love
Joanne

4 Likes

Hello Nika16.
I am very sorry that you have been diagnosed with BC, I was in your place 4 months ago and still feel it as surreal.
Now that you have a diagnose, your BC team will be able to work in a plan for you and something will start to change, for instance the initial uncertainty. This might seem very little but it is actually a lot.
This forum is full of wonderful people that understand and share your emotions, so it is already good that you are here.
A super hugh your way.
xx

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your post and kind words! Staying busy is my saving grace right now.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate you reaching out!

2 Likes

I’m probably a day or 2 behind you. I feel your pain. I got p4 p5 m5 on mamagram. I so terrified. They told me there and then that it was cancer. I I wanted a week for the gp appt and she told me it was a cyst. The consultant just said gp was wrong it’s most certainly cancer. I wasn’t expecting it at all. I can’t wait any longer. If you don’t mind me asking how long was it between biopsy and biopsy results coming back

4 Likes

Hi, I’m in exactly the same position as you and a new member of the club no one wants to be a part of.
I’m probably a few weeks ahead in that I’ve had biopsy results - 2 tumours in right breast both around 2cm, no lymph node involvement detected so far. I’ve got my MRI scan tonight (I’m 46 so my breasts are dense apparently) and then back to see the surgeon on Friday. I’ve already been told I will need a mastectomy.
Honestly this period has been hell, everyday seems to go so slowly. I’ve carried on working - although from home - as I do find this helps. I actually work in the same NHS Trust where I will be receiving my treatment. I’ve made the effort to keep doing some kind of exercise every day but it’s so hard mentally.
Talking to friends, family helps.
This forum has been an absolute lifeline as has the nurses helpline 🩷 sending you best wishes and remember how you are feeling is totally normal! x

7 Likes

Good luck tonight. Xxx

2 Likes

Hi nika16,

so sorry to hear your news and sending virtual hugs!

It is the shock of the news and then the wait for what happens next which is the worst thing. I hope that you get results quickly to advise what the staging is so that you have a better idea of what you are dealing with and a treatment plan in place that you can focus on. From my own personal perspective I found having the diagnosis and a plan certainly helped to alleviate some of my worries over what it was doing inside my body, and helped me focus on the realities of my situation.

Best wishes

2 Likes

HI @nika16, the forum is here for you - anytime you need to offload or talk to people who understand, we’ll be here.

If you wish to speak to someone in our nursing team, you can find more details here: Contact our nurses | Breast Cancer Now

Sending our warmest wishes
Bernard

2 Likes

Hello Nika16
I feel just like you, I found a lump New Year’s Eve went to GP, I was referred to breast clinic, my appointment was Jan 16th, at that appointment I had a mammogram, and a ultra sound and two biopsies, I was told on the day by the Doctors who did the ultra sound, and after the Consultant as good as said it’s breast cancer, and I had an appointment for the 25th, it was confirmed breast cancer, the results showed a grade2 invasive ductol carcinoma, on this appointment I was told I needed a CT scan and a MRI, the CT was arranged soon after the 25th but the MRI is Saturday Feb 10th, I just want it done now, but dreading it, the surgeon / consultant is phoning me tomorrow, and hope fully a plan to move forward and a date for surgery, the waiting in between scans has been a nightmare, and I feel I have no plan or idea what’s next, so like you I am in complete limbo, and what next, I can understand needing the scans, but why such large gaps in between.
I also have a squamous cell carcinoma on my leg I need plastic surgery it has to be cut out, I am meeting with the plastic surgeon on Friday. I don’t think the two cancers are linked, I had the place on my leg scraped of and two biopsies beginning of Jan, yesterday call from hospital to see plastic surgeon on Friday, so not sure what will be done first, the breast lump is the most worrying.
I will be interested to know if you have scans CT & MRI, it seems that most areas push for the scans.
I know just how you are feeling, it’s horrid the waiting game.
Ann

3 Likes

Try and take things just as they come. you’ll soon be on this strangely surreal journey. turn to us as you need to. always a virtual hug to hand.

2 Likes

I got diagnosed at beginning of October and was taken to the “room of tissues”. It is very very common to feel that cancer is suddenly all over you. It plays on a loop in your head. Some cancers are fast but others take years. You didn’t mention if it was in your lymph nodes? However the likelihood is it’s breast cancer which is highly treatable and can be dealt with xx

2 Likes

Some places do both. Remember that an MRI scan shows up absolutely everything including tiny fibroids, benign lesions etc etc. I got called back after mine but it was shown to be nothing so don’t panic. 2 weeks between scans is not a particularly long wait so don’t worry that the cancer is on the move. X

2 Likes

@poppy21 I’m at a very similar stage to you, initial appointment on the 17th Jan, told there and then after mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies that it was cancer. Met with the surgeon the following Friday 26th who confirmed Grade 2 ductal carcinoma, 2 tumours both around 2cm in the right breast, so far no lymph node involvement. I had a CT last week and then MRI yesterday - if you get to listen to music each scan lasts 1-2 songs that’s how I worked out the time - it might help?
I’m back to see the surgeon on Friday for the results and hopefully a date for surgery although am aware it will still be 4-6 weeks away :grimacing:.

3 Likes

Hello Jayne1210
Thank you so much for your message, it’s nice to hear from someone that’s going through much the same time as me.
Was your scan a full body scan, and it’s interesting to know the time the scan takes, I will close my eyes before entering and they will remain closed until I am out, I just dread it, so how long do you think you were in the scanner, my appointment time is 70 mins, the last time I had a MRI I opened my eyes and I could just see light past my head, it wasn’t recent.
I will be interested to see what my consultant/surgeon has to say tomorrow he is phoning me.
Will see if I have a plan.moving forward.
Have they mentioned what type of surgery you will have, my lump is big 44mm and part attached is 17mm.
When I first met the surgeon on my first visit he said on your next appointment we should have a date, but no date was mentioned only about the CT scan and the MRI, so it was a bit like a change of plan, so I will see tomorrow what he says.
The waiting is just awful, once I now what’s next it helps you settle a bit more, just want this lump gone, it’s horrible.
Please keep in touch and update me on your next plan, I will also keep you informed.
Take care
Ann

1 Like

My CT was chest, abdomen and pelvis but the MRI was just my boobs, you lay face down with your boobs in a support frame - sounds weird when I describe it :joy:. I was in the department for about an hour but only in the MRI machine for about 30 mins. Oh forgot to mention my boyfriend was allowed to come in the room with me and hold my hand which I was very grateful for.
I’m having a mastectomy with reconstruction hopefully an implant but will be guided by the surgeon on what’s best in my situation. I have 2 tumours both around 2cm on opposite sides of my right breast - so far no lymph node involvement but aware that could also change.

3 Likes

Im sorry that you have been diagnosed with this, i was diagnosed with grade 3 stage 2b triple negative 17 years ago and i know how scary it is. Try as hard as you can to stay positive its easier said than done i know but there is light at the end of the tunnell i wish you all the best with your treatment xx

2 Likes

I think that’s the biggest part for me. Feeling a lump, thinking it’s something benign, and then being smacked in the face with cancer. I’m still in disbelief! I received my results about 4 days after my biopsy was completed.

Dear Nika16, First of all, a Big Virtual Hug. I am so sorry you have “joined the club nobody wants to join.” It’s tough, but, as other people have said, you’re doing the right thing by talking about it on this forum.

People here have an idea of what you’re going through, which many of our family and friends don’t. That’s what I struggled with most, at the start.

I was lucky. My breast cancer was caught early through a routine mammogram. Grade 2, Stage 2. But I had no idea what that meant, or what lay ahead, and I was frightened. I had a lumpectomy a year ago, and it went well. But I’d never had a general anaesthetic before, and I was afraid I wouldn’t wake up or would wake up too soon.

Part of me knew that was crazy. Anaesthetists are very clever people, and mine was very reassuring. He said he’d done this a few times before, and he would pump me full of Class A drugs !

My friends and family told me everything would be fine. My prognosis was good, and loads of people have lived a long and happy life after cancer treatment. True - but at times I didn’t want to hear that. I didn’t want to be told to be hopeful. I wanted the space to express my fears and to cry if I needed to. When I didn’t get that space, I withdrew from my friends and felt very isolated.

That’s when Maggie’s came to the rescue. Do you live near a Maggie’s Centre ? I regularly made a 100-mile round trip to the original Maggie’s Centre in Edinburgh. They are superb. It’s a bright, cheerful building full of soft chairs and sofas. Volunteers welcome you as you come in, offering you an endless supply of tea and biscuits.

You can talk to a trained member of staff. Most of them in Edinburgh are former oncology nurses. They listen and they do not tell you how to feel. One of their mantras is that every emotion is valid. You do not have to put on a brave face. Being told you have cancer is shocking and life-changing. No wonder we get upset ! All the plans we had for the year ahead are suddenly put on hold, and we enter a strange new world which we don’t want to be in.

As the saying goes, it’s okay to not be okay.

I found the Macmillan Online Community another good source of support and information.

Please be gentle with yourself. Take care xxx

1 Like