DIEP flap surgery experiences

Hi everyone, I am looking for general feedback about how people have found the experience of going through a DIEP flap reconstruction, the recovery and follow on surgery or issues.

In 2020 I was diagnosed with a large area of high grade DCIS in my left breast which was successfully removed with a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. My annual mammogram in Sept showed a small area of DCIS in my right breast unfortunately this is being more troublesome to treat, having had a lumpectomy in January and re-excision in February, I have now been advised to have a mastectomy rather than a 3rd re-excision as the area of DCIS is much larger than showed on the mammogram due to it not being calcified and indeterminate in size. I asked about further investigation which my consultant was happy to explore but she did say that the end result was likely to be the same and it would take 4 to 6 weeks which I donā€™t want to do.

I have opted for the DIEP flap reconstruction but I am now starting to wind myself up about the scale of the surgery and would like to hear from others who have gone through it. Waiting as we all know is often the worst part of the experience as it gives you time to over think things!

Thank you

2 Likes

I went through it to reconstruct my breasts after a double mastectomy. I wonā€™t lie. It is brutal surgery and for the first week especially you feel like you got run over by a truck and move around like it, too. But it was very short lived. Medication controlled my pain very well, incisions healed (although it took longer with me since my skin despises all things used during surgery), and once the drains came out (three weeks) I went back to a normal life. In the great big scheme of things? Itā€™s a blip.

1 Like

Hi
I went through DIEP flap surgery in October 2022, after high grade DCIS covering large area of my left breast and also lost my nipple. (I was 52 years old at the time and pretty fit)

It was a long operation, however after everything that was said before I seemed to sail through it and my recovery was very good.

I was very positive and keen to get up and about straight away, so not sure if my mind set helped me through it all.

I was like a banana walking to start with and had to sleep sitting up, but all in all I wasnā€™t too bad. I took all the pain relief I was offered (had terrible constipation though).
But please do listen to the doctors and donā€™t over do it as your body has been really pulled about.

Everyone is very different, but hopefully by hearing a positive journey it will help you with your journey.

Thinking of you and sending lots of positive wishes xx

2 Likes

Go flat! The best thing for your body if having to remove the breasts. Your body will thank you. Went thru deip flap 10 yrs ago-my body is still reeling. 5 surgeries & still so painful. The scar tissue is so awful. So much stress is put on the body when you are surgically removing and adding from another part of your body. My body has been in distress ever since. The 1st year was a piece of cake but the surgery(s) are so taxing on your body. Not worth it. Also they need to remove lymph nodes and the scar tissue just taxes your lymph system because it can block the flow. It is an awful procedure. Grateful to be alive but in so much pain from the decision. If you already have stomach issues def not a good procedure it redirects some of the nerves & can wreck havoc even more. GO FLAT!!! I just want them removed at this point but dreading another surgery. GO FLAT !! it is okay! You wonā€™t regret it.

1 Like

No personal experience as I have to wait till after radiotherapy but there is a lot of information on line. I had a single mastectomy and Iā€™ve more or less decided to stay flat on that side.
Iā€™m quite sporty and I want to be able to exercise, play tennis without having issues with the muscles in my abdominals, shoulder/back/thighs.
I wonā€™t have any feeling anyway and thatā€™s the main reason I wanted reconstruction as my breasts are a top erogenous zone for me but with no or little feeling in the reconstructed breast and potential longterm complications from the other areas where tissue will be removed it is not worth it for my quality of life. Also donā€™t want silicone in my body after toxicity of cancer, chemo and radiotherapy.

Wishing you lots of grace and compassion in your healing journey and as you make the right decision for you and your situation xx

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had a fairly recent skin sparring mastectomy with immediate DIEP reconstruction-5 months ago in Sept 23.

Iā€™d had a lumpectomy 15 years ago, same breast but different cancer. Iā€™d also had all lymph nodes removed then. At that time I lost about 1/4 of the breast.

Yes the DIEP surgery is long, I think mine was about 9 hours. I was in hospital 2 nights. The first few days especially & fIrst week were very hard. It was painful moving as stomach tight. Painkillers helped & I took something the hospital gave me to stop constipation.

I started with short walks after about 10 days & built them up. I returned to Pilates (very gently), driving & work (part time from home) on a phased return at 6 weeks. I do suffer now with fatigue but I suspect thatā€™s from the Letrozole.

5 months on Iā€™m so pleased I had the diep. Iā€™m ready pleased with the scars, recon ā€œbelly boobā€. I quite like my disk of skin where my nipple used to be! In clothes I still have a normal cleavage! Iā€™m lopsided as right side a cup bigger (has been since lumpectomy) & right boob droopy whereas left nice & ā€œpertā€!

Later this year Iā€™ll have symmetry surgery, Iā€™m told itā€™s a 90 min operation. Iā€™m looking forward to being even for the first time in 15 years.

I certainly donā€™t regret having the DIEP surgery, my scars healed well, they are flat & fading. Iā€™m proud of my ā€œbattle scarsā€

Having typed this Ive now forgotten the original posters name - sorry! But I wish you & anyone else considering this operation lots of luck!

Laura x

2 Likes

Hi @sassycat, thank you for sharing your experience and so sorry to hear that it hasnā€™t been a positive experience for you, it is useful to hear and I will bear in mind what you say.

I wish you all the best with your future surgeries and that you get the outcome you are dreaming of xx

Hi @Kay0987, thank you for sharing and it is great to hear that you had a good recovery once you had got through the first few weeks, and were able to return to normal life x

Hi everyone, thank you all for your replies they are so helpful and encouraging, that the decision I have made for myself is the right one, which is to have the DIEP reconstruction on my right breast. @Dawnado24 I will bear in mind the

its useful to know and I will invest in some pillows. With the constipation, I have been through 2 surgeries already this year and now know to eat lots and lots of fibre, drink plenty of water and take the laxative when needed!

@healing24 I wish you all the best with your decision you sound like you know what is best for you. I am not so sporty but I am active so do a lot of allotment digging, swimming, and attempts at jogging (very badly!), since I have a fair amount of stomach fat, I believe the DIEP will be fine but any other option I am like you not so sure of and would consider staying flat like yourself.

@looby1 great to hear about your recent positive experience and that you are pleased with the results, it is so reassuring.

Once again thank you all for your responses and I hope this thread helps others with their decision, I will let you all know how I get on and wish you all the best on your journies :two_hearts: xx

1 Like

I also have a, what I call my ā€˜belly boobā€™ which is nine years old, after diep immediate reconstruction. DCIS in a few areas.

I would say I went into it with the mind that I just wanted it off and rid of the devil so I didnā€™t focus on pain outcome etc. just had to make the decision of to do or not.

Itā€™s a long op but you know nothing about it so thatā€™s not a deal. First of all after surgery itā€™s an ā€˜uncomfortableā€™ recovery, but with pain relief. I wore a belly binder for a while which is uncomfortable especially at night, (donā€™t know if all have that) but again itā€™s not forever and not painful, just uncomfortable.

Once u go home get yourself a triangular cushion to keep your arm on cos you r not allowed to move, get used to using other arm to lever yourself up and down from settee and let others do things for u.

Definitely do your physio exercises they really do work to get your arm working again, itā€™s not a fibšŸ™‚. I had no problems. Banana walking is not for long and you stretch back into shape eventually. I know itā€™s not the same for everyone and there can be complications, same as any surgery, but it went well for me and I had a tattoo nipple which is a bit faded now.

Through all of it I just wanted the ā€˜devilā€™ gone so thatā€™s where my focus was.

You will have made the right decision for you, youā€™ll see. It is hard though, but made easier by people on here. I only had advice from consultants and asking close friends what they thought I would do when I could think straight.

Happy ā€˜belly boobā€™:purple_heart:

2 Likes

Hi I had the flap surgery in June and lymph nods removed under arm and tbh the worst part was my under arm my tummy scar and boob have heeled so well. It isnā€™t as bad as u think xxx

2 Likes

Also I donā€™t have the nipple they offered me tattoo one but Iā€™m going to get a proper tatto over my boob but tbh Iā€™m used to no nipple there now lol xx

2 Likes

Iā€™m 3 weeks post DIEP surgery - right breast only. Thereā€™s no doubt, itā€™s huge surgery and has a massive effect on your body. For me it has been absolutely the right thing to do. The first week was dreadful for sure, but the hospital care (4 nights) was excellent and the amount of info I was given on discharge was a bit over whelming. But 3 weeks on, Iā€™m walking a couple of km at a time, and yesterday went on the tube to the theatre - so there is life beyond! I followed to the letter the physio advice I was given and mobility is good. I stopped taking painkillers after a couple of weeks and now the whole area feels sensitive but not painful. The result is fantastic (though Iā€™m nippleless!). The shape is great and it feels like my own breast - which it is!
Sleeping was an issue for the first two weeks as I had to sleep on my back sitting up at 45 degrees, which I found impossible. Not Iā€™m side sleeping again and itā€™s fine. The wound on my abdomen is huge, about 42cm but itā€™s healed and Iā€™m moisturising it daily.
All our experiences are different, this is just mine, but I hope all goes well for you.

1 Like

Dear jaxre

I had my diep surgery at Guyā€™s and I was looked after really well. I now do 45 minute and longer walks with our dog, I also joined a local gym to swim and do circuit training in the gym. I am 68 and had the operation on 8 Sept 2022, the day the dear Queen Elizabeth died. I was in hospital from 7 Sept 2022 so one night before the op and then three nights after. Getting home to East Sussex on Sundayt proved quite a chore as I went home on Sunday morning as there were so many mourners coming into central London. Hospital transport was great, I felt pretty tired and ill for a few days but I kept doing the exercises three times a day. Two years later I am still taking the letrozole, Adcal, and a lot of other medicine, and every six months I have infusions of Zoledronic Acid to strengthen my bones and in theory keep cancer from recurring. I donā€™t believe it will. I also donā€™t want to have any further surgery for cosmetic reasons as I canā€™t see how the reconstruction will ever resemble my other one except in clothes. I also donā€™t think I will escape secondary breast cancer so I think it will come backā€¦No way of knowing, but I am preparing for the worst.

I have some pains in my elbow and foot which I am not bothering to get checked out. I donā€™t want to be given any more unpleasant treatments to extend my life, mainly because I have relatives that have lived into their 90s and died miserably from Alzheimers and heart disease.

I am 70 next year but I know how difficult it is for people to finding NHS dentists, get an appointment at a GP surgery or get a diagnosis from a hospital. The events going on in many communities round the world are also so dreadful I feel I donā€™t want to live that much longer. I was born after the Second World War at a time when a lot of families were having children, and it was a society not as obsessed with the internet. And it was the early days of the NHS and everyone loved it.

We had far less information about medical matters at our disposal in those days, but maybe that saved us from learning as much as we now know about cancer and its treatment.

I had seen a black and white photo in a book showing a woman with only one breast which was pretty unpleasant, Sheā€™d had her muscles removed as well as her breast as that is what they did in those days.

There was no such thing as reconstruction and they would make you sign to say you would agree to a mastectomy if they found cancer after you went into the operating theatre. They would test for cancer while you were out cold and then you would wake up one breasted.

A friend of mine refused to sign, and was bullied and not allowed to leave the hospital until they eventually gave up. She didnā€™t go back and sheā€™s still alive at 85 or so.

That was why I was pretty wary when I found a lump in 2003. That turned out to be breast cancer so I had partial mastectomy and radiotherapy.

When I found another lump in the same breast in 2022 I was pretty much sure it would be cancer and it was. It is a very variable and unpredictable illness and I have to die of something. I canā€™t decide whether Iā€™d rather die of breast cancer or of the results of treatment, or alternatively go on a dignitas trip.

Shame we donā€™t have the right to a pleasant end in the UK but we did have Shipman so I can see why there is resistance to assisted dying. He was only too keen to assist the deaths of his older patientsā€¦

1 Like

Dear Seagulls
Iā€™m sorry you are not feeling positive about your future - you are still young and have done well recovering from your surgery, going to the gym and walking etc. It sounds like maybe you donā€™t have a lot of support around you, is that right? Have you tried the local hospital / macmillan / Maggieā€™s centres if there are any near you? Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m not far into the process so canā€™t offer much in the way of suggestions but donā€™t give up! Are your pains in elbow and foot connected to the medication maybe? Do get them checked out, it may not involve surgery. Sending you some positive strength x

1 Like

thank you jaxre. Maybe I am thinking negatively as I have other problems in my life which are perhaps warping my view of life at the moment. I went to see my 96 year old mother this lunchtime and she was happily eating what I considered to be a revolting meal of minced up meat, pureed carrot, pea and potato. The pureed potato had been piped into a tiny round castle with a path round the outside. I could say it was a triumph of presentation of soft food someone without many teeth would thoroughly enjoy. My mother was eating it on her own propped up slightly below the level of the wheeled tray which the food had been placed on. She was delighted to see me, and I encouraged her to eat the food with the help of a smaller spoon than the one provided. Twice in an hour someone came and looked in on her. Then they left. I went into the dining room and a lot of the residents were there eating together. I go unannounced so I know they canā€™t prepare for me. The cost of this service is Ā£1661 a week, the staff are really nice, there are 65 rooms there so itā€™s not huge. They have music therapy, relaxation sessions brought to peopleā€™s rooms with night light candles (fake) giving a relaxing atmosphere. Thereā€™s also a chapel for church services and a minister who visits people on sundays. Itā€™s much better than the last home she was in which cost Ā£1741 a week, but itā€™s still not giving mum a lot of care. I would rather look after her myself if it wasnā€™t for my inability to provide an air mattress bed to stop the bed sore she developed in the last care home she was in. She was also sexually assaulted in the previous home by another male resident so I didnā€™t like that either. Luckily she has a bad short term memory. She does know me and thatā€™s lovely but I feel old people are abandoned. The local hospital lead geriatric consultant has decided that my mother is ā€œend of lifeā€ and is not to be admitted back into hospital again. Itā€™s like her life isnā€™t as valuable as a younger person because sheā€™s now a dead loss. She isnā€™t.
Seagulls

1 Like

Gosh you are going through a lot arenā€™t you? Sounds like you are doing the best you can for your mother. I have a 92 yr old father and a 95 yr old mother in law both living independently and that is challenging too as my Dad lives 200 miles away. I canā€™t offer you any helpful advice Iā€™m afraid but I can understand why you struggle to be positive about your own position. I hope you can get some support for yourself.

1 Like

I was absolutely terrified of hosiptals, surgery & how id cope. I am so relieved im through it & am pleasantly surprised at how manageable it was.
I wasnt in nearly as much pain as i thoight i would be as hospital kwpt on top of it & gave me meds for home. I took things slowly but managed at home on my own; microwave baked potatoes etc. For dinner the first week as standing for too long was tricky. Bought a step to get in the bath as my shower is over the bath. I slept lots!! Started walking to the end of the street when friends came to visit & built it up from there. Was back at work within 8/9 weeks.
This is by far the scariest thing i have ever done but you can absolutely do it. Take one day at a time, dont have big expectations of yourself.
Good luck x

2 Likes

@Luskentyre1 thanks for the answer and that you found the whole experience manageable.

I have a shower in the bath too so might us your tip of getting a step for it, so that I can have a shower. Itā€™s useful to know time-scales as well regarding work and milestones of what will be achievable, so pleased to hear that everything has worked out well for you.

thank you for sharing x

1 Like

Things are going to work out for you tooā€¦you can do this.
Wee tip for hospital. I had my phone, phone charger, water bottle, pyjamas,snacks in a rucksack outside my suitcase of clothes. When i got on the ward i asked the nurse to get it for me & i kept it beside me on my bed so i didnt need to keep asking for help. A ling charging cable is handy too as you can keep it plugged in to charge your phone.
I got a litter picking stick too from amazon & used it to get my washing in & out the washing machine fir the first few weeks.

This is scary but youve got this. Update us when youre all done

1 Like