Drain not working

Hi everybody, I had a mastectomy and lymph node clearance yesterday. I’ve come home with a Reddax drain in. The district nurse came this morning and said it wasn’t working. It isn’t draining! The fluid seems to be going down the tube okay but isn’t going into the bottle. It’s a Bellow type bottle with a big spring inside it. The nurse phoned the hospital and the doctor on duty said they couldn’t do anything until Monday. My husband, who is very good fixing things, has been unable to fix it. I am worried I will get an infection. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have tried to attach a photo of the drain.

2 Likes

Thats really frustrating they can’t do anything till Monday. I’m presuming the district nurse didn’t think it was a risk to leave it til then or she would have pushed for it to be sorted out . You could maybe ring 111 tomorrow am and see if they get you seen by someone tomorrow rather than wait ?

2 Likes

Hi Biro
I had similar problem , mine happened on a Sunday could of gone to A&E but I phoned breast nurse on the Monday morning went straight up to clinic must admit it was scary but no infection it did pump out loads of fluid when they removed it good luck you will be fine x

2 Likes

Yes. Might do that if district nurse hasn’t come up with a better plan. Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s reassuring! Apart from that I feel fine so far!

1 Like

Forgive me if you already know this and have closed it deliberately /been told to keep it closed ( in which case you should do that ) but in the picture the white slider clamp between the bellows section and the bag has been closed off . It’s obviously been open at some time because there’s some drainage in the bag but it’s closed now so nothing will drain below the bellows until its opened again and might be causing it to be backed up ? The bellows still look as though they should be working otherwise because they are still looking like a concertina which means there’s no leak / loss of suction which sometimes happens if a drain isn’t sited deep enough . There might be a blockage at the entrance to the bellows .

If it remains blocked you might get some leakage around the drain tube - so hopefully the District Nurse has given you some extra dressings if not and it continues to be blocked it might be worth buying some . Provided it’s dealt with on Monday I doubt you would get an infection. Keep an eye on it and if you’re desperate you could contact NHS 111 online they may be able to arrange for you to be seen . Xx

1 Like

I agree with JoanneN I am surprised at district nurse not been able to do anything
I was worried when mine closed off as I said it was fine , if you need extra reassurance ring 111 x

1 Like

I forgot to ask if you have been given the number of a ward to ring a d if that is the number that the District Nurse used ? The nurses on some of the surgical wards are used to dealing with those drains all the time whereas the District Nurses probably see them only every so often and they will have more equipment in the Hospital as well . If you were able to go there it might be possible for the nurses to clamp the tube so that the suction isn’t lost and change it from the bellows down which might get it going again without having to see a Dr. We use a slightly different system where I work but it’s similar - from your picture I can’t see where all the connections are to be completely sure. .

1 Like

Thank you so much Joanne. I was told to keep the bottom clamp closed but to open it when I was emptying the fluid and close the top one. My husband has had another go at fixing it but so far no improvement. So I think I will ring the ward later because I am getting a seroma under my arm.

1 Like

I hope that they are able to help you with this - as a last resort you could turn up at A+E xx

1 Like

Well I went to the water I’d been discharged from. But they said they couldn’t help because my notes had gone back to the secretary. So they told me to come to A&E. I have been here since 12.30! Waiting for a doctor to see me :sob:

1 Like

Oh no - I’m sorry different areas seem to have different policies . I work for the NHS but it’s at times like this that that can feel a bit embarrassing. I hope you get seen soon and that it gets sorted . Xx

1 Like

I’m in Wrexham in North Wales. The Welsh do things their own way!! Anyway I’ve just been called in. I am going to award to see a surgeon. Thank you so much for your help.

2 Likes

I was finally seen at about midnight by two doctors. They said my drain was working fine - there just wasn’t much coming out of it! So I was allowed to go home.

I slept well but woke up to find I was drenched in blood down one side. The drain hole must be a bit big as blood is leaking from it as well as going down the tube!

Peter (hubby) cleaned me up and I had a quick wash. Then I had to get back into bed quickly because I felt faint!

I have had my breakfast and I feel fine now.

2 Likes

Do please let your team know what’s happened so they can monitor for any possible infections :heart:please keep safe :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

1 Like

Oh bless you - sounds like the tube is blocked somehow inside and the blood has leaked around it which I did think was a possibility but at least it’s not collecting inside you . I hope it settles down and that your team are making time to assess you now that we are back in the normal working week . Xx

The district nurses have been this afternoon. The emptied my drain and confirmed it is working properly, and re -dressed the drain wound. They think they may be able to take it out tomorrow. :smile:

1 Like

What a carry on , glad it seems to be resolved now . Hopefully you will be rid of it tomorrow .

1 Like

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that they do take it out tomorrow xx

Thank you so much Joanne. I was told to keep the bottom clamp closed but to open it when I was emptying the fluid and close the top one. My husband has had another go at fixing it but so far no improvement. So I think I will ring the ward later because I am getting a seroma under my arm.