General Advice

Good Morning. Hoping you are all doing ok.

I finally have a date booked for my 1st Chemo.

Tuesday 23rd Jan. Its at The Christie. I have to be there at 11:00 to go to Maggie’s for a Cycle 1 Talk and then first cycle will be around 14:00. Eeekkk…

Wish it wasn’t happening but it is so we move.

My question… I think i have everything I will need but pls drop me your essentials.

Also what can I expect to happen throughout the time I’m there. My partner will be with me - is he permitted to stay with me whilst I’m being treated?

I’m having 3 x EC (3 weekly), 3 x Paclitaxil (3 weekly), 12 months Herceptin (alongside P), 19 seasions of radiotherapy (random number) and then endocrine blockers.

So any advice, tips and tricks would be much appreciated.

X

3 Likes

Hi :slight_smile:

If you’re not cold capping then stock up on wooly hats! It’s freezing!!

I also have a small emergency bag that I keep stocked with snacks, medication, face masks, anti bac gel, tissues. Moisturiser and lip balm too- you might find your skin and lips get v dehydrated v quickly. I take that bag with me everywhere… you never know what you might need if you’re out and about. It’s also really useful just in case you have a hospital stay then you have everything in one place that your partner can pick up for you.

The only other thing that’s kept me sane during chemo has been skincare routine because it made me feel better.

I think your first day is just long because they’ll be throwing a lot of info at you regarding side effects. Make sure your partner is paying attention! I couldn’t have got through this without asking my partner “what did they say again” a million times :joy: different hospitals have different rules about someone staying with you. At mine we’re only allowed someone to sit with us on our first day, and after you have to go alone to protect us immuno compromised lot. But a lot of people I know at other hospitals are allowed one person to sit with them.

Good luck! I hope it goes well xx

3 Likes

Thanks for this.

I was going to cold cap but have since changed my mind. I’ll deffo pack a hat. X

1 Like

I would recommend joining the chemo starters group

There maybe someone who was at the Christie who could help re your husband staying with you.

I agree with all essentials as above, I also took all my side effects leaflets, chemotherapy diary given in clinic. I had book and iPad, headphones (can be quite noisy and I like to watch a movie or listen to music, phone and chargers ( although some can be funny your charging things not PAT tested, most turns blind eye). Would also have a bag with Pjs, toiletries, towel, change of clothes for a hospital bag, I didn’t think I’d need one but was admitted for an infection/temperature and stayed for 6 days.

I had Paclitaxel only and cold capped and kept nearly all my hair. I know it takes longer and is only uncomfortable for 10/15 minutes. Did you decide not to cold cap for any reason? Have you looked at https://coldcap.com/ or www.cancerhaircare.co.uk they recommend for all if it’s applicable to your chemotherapy as I understand it doesn’t work for all treatments. I didn’t get great advice from my cancer centre, their leaflet recommended cutting my hair and after the above i realised I shouldn’t have. I had a bob but into a pixie cut. Best to have as much information as possible.

I’m also HER+, I’ve finished chemo and yesterday finished radiotherapy, so now on Herceptin 3 weekly with Letrozole starting today! There is also a group for HER+ HER2+ and need some buddies - #95 by mandz1

Thinking of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Delighted for you that your chemo has finished. And that you kept most of your hair. Gives some hope to the rest of us! Thanks for the tips and advice i really appreciate your time and input. Will chexk in again once im up and running (for the hills) x

1 Like