January 2024 chemo starters

This topic is for anyone starting chemo in January 2024 to share thoughts and feelings in a supportive environment.

You can find more info on chemo on our pages: Chemotherapy for breast cancer.

7 Likes

Just bumping this thread up in case any January starters havent spotted it .

5 Likes

Im starting chemo on the 12th for her2 positive BC. 12 weekly treatments a Taxol and terrified. Some discussion and support for each other would be great. Such a strange new world.

5 Likes

I’m sorry you find yourself here, I am also triple positive BC, had first chemo 5 days ago (on dec starter thread) and just want you to know, as terrifying as it is, this forum is a great support. :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you MrsBee2. All the best to you going forward. I am ER/PR negative but having 12 wks chemo, radio, herceptin x 9 and a bone infusion every 6 mths for 3 years. Sounds like A LOT.

4 Likes

@Shi @Sue_C

1 Like

January 2024 chemo starters this thread is for you if you wanted to ask any questions or join and support each other along the way as you will see from previous threads, you’ll all help each other through and believe it or not share :joy: as you navigate your way through :heart: BCN and everyone is here as much or as little as you need, there’s no right or wrongs just do what’s right for you :heart: you are in control even if it feels like you are not :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

9 Likes

Hi fellow Jan 2024 starters!

Started the New Year in style with my first chemo session yesterday (after surgery last year, now having 4 cycles of EC then 4 of paclitaxel, every two weeks). Cold cap and session itself was very straightforward and slept well last night. Some nausea today as expected…will see how the next few days go, but is a relief to have finally got started.

7 Likes

Well done mks! I have my first a week on Friday. I’m having 12 x weekly Paclitaxel. Are you her2 positive? I’m also cold capping but have a wig appointment on Monday… all very surreal. I’m glad you found relief getting started and hope your symptoms stay mild. I’m going to try fasting before to mitigate the side effects. My oncologist had never heard of people doing this which I was surprised about. Worth a try hey? xx

2 Likes

Thanks sarahc! Still doing okay…side effects manageable so far, but am on constant alert for things changing…

Definitely no harm in giving the fasting beforehand a go. I’ve started to fancy a little bit more to eat today and it is actually helping with the nausea, but less was certainly better for me for the first day or so.

Hope the wig appointment goes well! Mine was much better than expected - ended up with the first one I tried, but good to have a go at a few styles and helps to know I’ve got it if cold cap doesn’t work out.

I’m ER positive, so will start monthly injections for ovary suppression soon. They’re for 5years, plus a daily tablet for 8-10years…as you said, it all feels like a lot…guess we just have to focus on one step at a time for now!

Hope you’re able to have a good week before you get started! Xx

3 Likes

Hi - can’t quite believe I am here and absolutely terrified about what lies ahead. I had a single mastectomy in Nov and at the time was given the impression that would be it, radiotherapy probably the only further treatment I’d need. Unfortunately got my results just before Xmas and chemo advised due to signs in 2 lymph nodes plus my tumour being Grade 3.

I’m ER positive and got the call yesterday saying my start date is 16th Jan. Going to try cold capping but I’ve not seen many encouraging stories of success

Still not even told my 3 kids - didn’t want to wreck their Xmas and the longer I leave it, the worse it’s getting :frowning:

Anyway hoping this chat with help me through the ordeal ahead!

8 Likes

@laura75 sorry to hear that you find yourself having to suddenly face chemo at this point. The very word chemo is terrifying and I’m sure you’re wondering, as I did, if you will be able to cope with it and worse again ‘what if I can’t?’ I started weekly chemo on the 14th of November and was absolutely terrified of the unknown, with so many side effects having to be spelt out to you by your BC team (they have no choice but to do so) you can get your mind into a very dark and negative place. Once I started chemo I took it one day at a time and I’ve got to say that other than not feeling great (for me feels like a bad hangover that doesn’t get better after 2 paracetamol and a nap!) I’m coping ok as I’m sure you will. Side effects all have counteracting meds that can deal successfully with most. If you’re struggling to cope your oncologist can adjust the dosage to suit. Be sure you have the direct number to your cancer centre help line. All ladies here have been through and are going through this journey so you will be in good hands. I didn’t try the cold capping as I just couldn’t face it as I’m a bit of a coward with things like that but you could talk to your BC nurse as I believe the effectiveness can depend on the type of chemo to some degree :thinking: I wish you well and always remember it’s the fear of the unknown that is worse in most cases than the actual treatment! Big :people_hugging: hugs xx

5 Likes

Hi I have my 1st chemo session tomorrow and am wondering whether to try the cold cap. I’m having Docetaxel (3 cycles) followed by EC (3 cycles). Is it worth giving it a go??

4 Likes

:heart:speak to your team, you don’t usually loose hair with docetaxol (maybe eyebrows and eyelashes) with ec you might need to coldcap. If you do take jumper and blanket to keep warm, I know lots who have good success with coldcap, think first 10-15 mins can be like a fridge on your head but once they get through that bit can get through, I’m sure others will pop on and share their experience :heart: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

5 Likes

Hi Sarah, interested to read your post about fasting beforehand. How soon before your chemo do you intend to fast? I had read something about this a while back but now I’m nearing my first chemo on Wednesday - its all getting a little terrifying!
Thanks

3 Likes

Hi Mks,

Sounds like you’re coping well. I hope I can too once I get started on the EC on Wednesday. Can I ask how you went about getting a wig? It’s all come about quite quickly and I just haven’t had time to look into it all.
Thanks X

2 Likes

Alex2, you should get a wig voucher from your trust so do ask your team if not been advised and you should get list of places where you can use the voucher. Also your trust might have pre loved wigs at the Macmillan within your trust and you can try and then if you find one or two you can purchase for a donation :heart: hope that helps. Anyone who has long enough hair please do consider donating your hair to little princes trust that makes wigs for children :heart: a lot of us have over the years :heart: so even though chemo was going to take hair, we decided what would happen to our hair :heart: :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Thank you, that’s really useful advice -I feel it’s all been a bit quick in terms of having my oncology appointment last week and then having the first cycle of EC this Wednesday. I have to find things out for myself rather than being offered the information and no real advice!

XX

3 Likes

Hi Alex, I hear you… My first chemo is Friday. I have been reading a lot and, as always, the opinions differ! Most people who have fasted before/after chemo have done so for 72 hours. However, I’m on a weekly regime for 12 weeks at a lower dose. I think to fast 3 days out of 7 would be hard and I dont have any spare weight to lose. My BC is her2 positive but it was 8mm and no lymph node involvement so my treatment is preventative with curative intent. SO I will fast for 24 hours before treatment and either 12 or 24 hours after… not decided/need to read more! It’s an absolute minefield of confusion and limited human studies but this seems to protect healthy cells, make unhealthy cells more vulnerable, reduce side effects and improve efficacy of the chemo. Let me know if you decide to do it and good luck on Weds. How many cycles are you having? xx

3 Likes

Definitely! I’m trying it… but read today that my regime causes worst hair loss (Paclitaxel)

1 Like