Hair falling out - had to start the horrible process

Anyone any tips on curing the sore scalp/hot scalp thing? I’ve moisturised it with Sensitive Skin Dermo Protect stuff by Simple.
Even wearing a headscarf feels sore at the mo.

Any tips on it all greatfully received.

We’re a tough old bunch us women!

I get Balneum on prescription - it is a soap free wash that excema sufferers use. I use it for my scalp as well as body and found it relieved the itchyness. The chemo will dehydrate you terribly - drink GALLONS and moisturise including your scalp. Again I use an excema sufferers choice - Diprobase.

Thanks Emma - thats useful to know, I’ve been using Sanex soap/colour/perfume free and simple shampoo and the Simple stuff is also designed for eczema sufferers etc

Sat here now bald but with a cold water soaked flannel over my head - quite a fetching look… :wink: It’s helping a bit!

Thanks Emma - thats useful to know, I’ve been using Sanex soap/colour/perfume free and simple shampoo and the Simple stuff is also designed for eczema sufferers etc

Sat here now bald but with a cold water soaked flannel over my head - quite a fetching look… :wink: It’s helping a bit!

Having paid my taxes all these years, it is without hesitation that I now avail of free prescriptions!

Oh agreed, when I start running out of what I’ve got I’ll be off to the doctors stocking up :wink: I’ve paid PLENTY out even in my short life of working since I was 18 to 34

Mines at the hurting stage, as though I’ve been wearing a pony tail for too long. Numb in areas too. Very weird. I didn’t know my scalp might be sensitive and itchy and painful. I’ll stock up on aloe vera gel as it works for me in other dry sking conditions. Not greasy, cooling, soothing. 99% is best.

Dear El Katrano

Congratulations for taking the plunge and shaving it off. I too did the same thing to day (or rather got OH to do it) I now have a grade four all over as it was thinning and starting to come out. I decided I did not want to wait for the handfalls as most people describe as the Cancer has taken so much from me already so I did it…up your Cancer were the words I said as I sobbed my heart out watching my hair fall on the floor but now I feel totally libertated!!!

Get wig on Wednesday and will wait for the remainder to come out in the coming days.

Well done girl!

Love
Tracy xxxx

YOU ARE ALL AMAZING COURAGEOUS BEAUTIFUL WOMEN AND I WILL BE JOINING YOU ON YOUR BALDY JOURNEY IN THE COMING WEEKS (START FEC ON WED)- YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO TRY TO MAKE AN EVENT OF THE WHOLE THING AND MAKE IT AS LIGHTHEARTED AS IT CAN POSSIBLY BE!. I EXPECT TO BE TOTALLY FREAKED OUT BY WHO LOOKS BACK AT ME IN THE MIRROR AFTER IT ALL GOES AND I AM NERVOUS OF WHAT MY FAMILY & FRIENDS WILL THINK OR MAYBE EVEN MORE THEIR PITTYING LOOKS AS I LIKE TO THINK OF MYSELF AS QUITE A STRONG PERSON BUT I GUESS YOU CANT PLAN FOR HOW YOU WILL FEEL. LONG LIVE THE BALDIES!!!:slight_smile:

PS I HAVE 2 YOUNG CHILDREN DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON WHETHER YOU SHOULD TRY TO KEEP YOU HEAD COVERED SO AS NOT TO FREAK THEM OUT OR HOW THIS SHOULD BE HANDLED (THEY ARE 17 MONTH OLD TWIN GIRLS)XXX

Well, I am sat here looking like my dad - he was bald from being 30. I haven’t had the courage yet to take a razor to my head so it looks horrendous at the moment. I keep brushing it out over the garden and the birds around here will have the comfiest nests in the area! My hair, what is left of it, is snowy white so I look so old. It will probably be better if it was all gone - one good thing about being completely bald, no one can know you are not a brunette any more. My hubby keeps on taking photos of me when I am not looking and laughs like a drain! I have banned him from showing the horror pics around at work.

All the best, Sue. xx.

Boobydoo, could you please not use your caps lock when typing? It makes your post a bit hard to read, seeing as we can’t adjust the settings on this version of the forums. Thanks.

I don’t have young children so can’t speak from personal experience, but I know one lady with littlies, perhaps a bit older than yours though, got them to do facepaints on her head.

It will probably be quite upsetting when the hair goes, whether you just let it fall out or whether you shave it. Even those who appear strong have had their weepy, snotty moments about their hair. Mine was in the shower when nobody else was even in the house, and I bawled and sobbed my heart out. Then I got out of the shower, dried myself off and I don’t think I’ve shed any more tears over my lack of hair.

Whether other people give you “the look” isn’t your problem, it’s theirs. I’ve adopted the attitude that this just happens to be how I look, and if I have to deal with it, then other people jolly well can too. I was chatting with a friend who has loads and loads of hair and she was saying she was having a bad hair day - just part of normal conversations that you have with friends, she wasn’t being thoughtless. I replied, “I know what you mean…” and we both nearly fell off our chairs laughing. Sometimes a large dose of black humour is the only thing that will get you through.

50something, you need to get him back, that’s terribly insensitive of your OH. I suggest you take a picture of him when he’s fallen asleep on the sofa and is dribbling. Or sneak into the loo and take a picture when he’s sat on the pan. Or some other inappropriate moment when he’s “not looking at his best”. I’m sure you’ll be able to get some goodies! Then threaten him, or at least show him that he’s not being terribly kind and can he please NOT take photos of you any more without asking your permission.

hi

my 6yr old is fine with the baldy look but he does like me to wear my wig when i get him from school. This us fine- hes got enough on his plate without a “your mums a baldy” comment from another child.

BC is rotten in the way it batters at your whole feminity but you will find you get used to it. I got a wig that is the hair i always wanted! and a fringe is good, it disguises the lack of eyebrowd.
best of luck x

50Something, I realise we’re all different and it might not suit you, but when my hair was falling out I found that the messy stage made me look far worse than I felt and even looking at myself in the mirror made me feel ill.

When I shaved it off it looked far better that the scratty mess that had been there and I felt quite relieved. I very soon got used to seeing myself in the mirror and actually felt quite liberated. I’m 45 and my hair had been long for 27 years - it was waist length and very curly until I had it cut short a few days before starting chemo.

I’ve never worn my wig, just hats and headscarves when it was cold and I’ve gone commando most of the time, although I know that’s not for everyone and is very much a personal choice. I’m of the same opinion as CM - if anyone has an issue with it it’s their problem, not mine. I’m not out for sympathy but I don’t have problems with people knowing I’m being treated for cancer. It’s not as if it’s my fault so I’ve got nothing to be ashamed of.

For a lot of people it helps to take charge even in whichever way we can as so much of this stuff is totally out of our control.

Jane xxx

As SCACO says my seven year old is now fine with my lack of hair although was very upset by it at the start. She asks me to wear my wig when her friends are round or when going out but is now ok with me being bald at home. She likes my wig and can occasionally be found wearing it usually in fits of giggles. She did find the whole idea of me losing my hair terribly upsetting but I found when it actually happened she was fine with it.

As with Jo - my 1st (‘Bob’ for obvious reasons) was tried on by all members of my family and friends at new year. I found it one day on the living room, floor piled with cars, “Don’t do that honey - you can play with it when i’ve finished with it,” said I (!) - things you never think you’ll say!

I didn’t like Bob much so i got another from the NHS (Bob was an emergency purchase) ‘Jordan’ is fab. Anyhoo, my DD played a blinder on her dad when she went to stay with him, she phoned and said she’d had her long ringlets cut and coloured, she did a great job sobbing down the phone and then turned up in Bob - he wasn’t happy!

• Made my day!!

Oh, the fun we have… (!!!)

PS - Pre Jordan I went Commando as Bob felt too wiggy, it’s a really personal choice and one that needs to suit you not everyone else. I decided a while back that being as it’s my BC i’ll deal with it in my way, some people can be quite unnerved if you don’t act in the way they expect - bothered?
x

Hi again Ladies and THANKS! After reading your posts I raced upstairs into the bathroom and Voila, I am now an egg head. Jane, you were dead right, I feel So much better now it has all gone. I really looked like an old woman of 90 and now I look years younger. As I said, no one now knows how grey I really am. Of course my hubby has yet to see the results - I am going to hide his camera!

Actually, at the moment I am more upset because they are cutting down the trees that I could see outside the back of my house. They were beautiful, especially in the winter, full of snow. Now all I see is the main road.

Sue xx.

I’m EC1 +12 and me hair started falling last night, despite using the electric scalp cooling thing. This morning, I’ve had the ‘taken a bun out and hair’s hurting’ feeling and lost more hair.

I had my shoulder-length hair cut into a shortish bob before starting chemo but I’m toying with taking the clippers to it today. The most annoying thing at the moment is the itching on my back where the loose hairs keep sneaking inside me T-shirt!

I got Sid last week (Sid-Wig) and have a few scarves and a couple of buffs from skiing so I’m braced for action if necessary. I’ve warned OH that he may be coming home to a new woman…not ‘new & improved’, but certainly different.

Hi Ninja,

Just a quick comment i have used the electric hair cooling one and lost hair the most on EC 1 and was ready for giving up but i persevered and now after EC 5 i have probably lost maybe 50 per cent but no one who does not know me would notice, i know its a personal thing but just wanted to say that it was after number one that i lost the most and it did get better.

Sal

Well done Sue - I’m really glad you feel better for it.

Isn’t it strange how hard it is to tell our age once we’re bald - no distracting hairstyles and grey hairs. I might feel 110 at the moment but at least I don’t look it.

All those things women do to try to make themselves look younger, and all they ever had to do was shave off their hair - problem solved!

Jane xxx