Hanging on

I’ve posted on the waiting list thread already - found out I had BC in my left breast yesterday, consultant thinks its invasive due to MRI findings and pre-cancerous cells found from her unguided biopsies. She told me I would need a masectomy in two weeks ish - she also said I wouldnt be able to have the immediate reconstruction.  The lump is suposedly 3cm but feels bigger to me. Boob is extremely painful and has been discharding a range of different colours from yellow-orange-brown-bloody.  They did a guided biopsy of the lump yesterday and biopsies of the lymph nodes, they also biopsied a few lumps of concern on the right boob. So I guess I will have a full diagnosis and better idea of grade next Friday.

I hink im starting to feel a little angry as I’ve had the day to consider the last few months of treatment - bfore embarking on IVF i asked the advice of my consultant and despite my history, she wrote back to say she could see no reason why the hormones would cause any problems with the breasts.So,  I had three rounds of IVF between 2015-2016 and now I am really worried this lump stems from the hormones - I’'ve had breast probs since my 20’s, dense fibrous breasts, many fibroids removed. But since June 2016 i have been complaining of pain and lumpiness and it has taken this long to finally find I have cancer. I was  told its cysts/fibroadenomas in August 2016 and discharged from breast clinic then had to be re-refered by my GP again in November with this same lump and discharge from nipple. The consultant has never seemed concerned about the discharge even though its big pointer for BC. Even after the mri showed enhancement on both breasts, she still told me it was probably just benign changes “caused by the IVF” ,  but was doing a biopsy just to exclude cancer and it just feels that week after week has dragged on, with something new  - then I get the shock of my life yesterday!!Because  It has taken so long, it worries me. I really fear it will have spread. I feel worried about having a masectomy so quickly at age 43 and wonder why I cant have a immediate reconstruction. I only have small b cup breasts and have read on here that someone has had this done with the same invasive cancer. Should I be seeking a second opinion ???

Sorry for having a moan and a rant - it’s so tough going through so many emotions.

Hope you’re all enjoying your Saturday night xx

hi lilneenz,
The anxiety when going through this is the pits & there is no magic wand in dealing with it. Looking back, I can see how frustrated you feel, but it has been well under a year since you reported problems & thankfully you were persistent in getting a diagnosis.
This stage is always the worst for anxiety, but it does get better when the treatment plan is on place.
Everyone is different in terms of the treatment options, so it maybe best to clarify with your team about your proposed surgery, so that you feel as confident as possible about it.
Do come here & vent whenever you need to, it is such a scary time, we’ve all been through it & also come out the other side.
hugs
ann x

Hi Lilneenz,

So sorry that you find yourself here.

I get it, the wondering about the fertility treatments.  I’ve had three courses of Clomid, three IUI with hormones and one IVF, all unsuccessful.  I had read that this increased the chance of BC, but was still a bit rocked by being diagnosed after being randomly invited for an early mammogram, as part of a trial!

Cant help but wonder about all those hormones!  But, whatever caused it, it has to be dealt with, and that’s not always easy.

i know I feel that my body has really let me down.  I couldn’t have children, I have had constant gynae issues and now BC!  All the female parts of me are rubbish! What that proves is, being a woman is not about the “female” bits, whether they work properly, or whether you’ve still got them! It’s about strength, love, friendship, kindness, support and a state of mind!

You will find all of that here, and elsewhere I am sure.  And I know it’s easy for me to say, but if you can’t have reconstruction immediately, you will continue to be a strong, beautiful and wonderful woman, without it! 

Sending love and positive vibes!

Hi Lilneenz,

So sorry that you find yourself here.

I get it, the wondering about the fertility treatments.  I’ve had three courses of Clomid, three IUI with hormones and one IVF, all unsuccessful.  I had read that this increased the chance of BC, but was still a bit rocked by being diagnosed after being randomly invited for an early mammogram, as part of a trial!

Cant help but wonder about all those hormones!  But, whatever caused it, it has to be dealt with, and that’s not always easy.

i know I feel that my body has really let me down.  I couldn’t have children, I have had constant gynae issues and now BC!  All the female parts of me are rubbish! What that proves is, being a woman is not about the “female” bits, whether they work properly, or whether you’ve still got them! It’s about strength, love, friendship, kindness, support and a state of mind!

You will find all of that here, and elsewhere I am sure.  And I know it’s easy for me to say, but if you can’t have reconstruction immediately, you will continue to be a strong, beautiful and wonderful woman, without it! 

Sending love and positive vibes!

Not sure what happened there, but I seem to have repeated myself! ??

Hi Nina,
How are you feeling? I’ve been thinking about you. I’m seeing my surgeon on 16th for my surgery pathology results. So I’m still waiting.
Big hug.
Xx

Will be with you in spirit on Friday. I’m finding the waiting tough as usual. 9 days to go. I just want to know either way and get on with it.
Keep us posted.
Xx

Results were more positive today - second biopsy showed DCIS and no evidence of invasive cancer. The node they tested was reactive but did not contain cancer…

The lump  is 4cm and very close to chest wall so mastectomy with sentinel node biopsy still required and possible radiotherapy. Still a chance there may be some bloody invasive cancer hiding when they open me up, but all results are looking positive at the moment. 

Love to all x 

Hi. As you say, abit more positive. How do you feel now? Do you have a date for surgery?
Best wishes.
Xx

Hello everyone
Sorry I’ve not been on here for the last week. Hope everyone is doing well. I’m having my masectomy without reconstruction on Wednesday. They’ve advised me to have delayed reconstruction as it’s likely I’ll have radiotherapy as it’s close to chest wall. I’m going to another hospital tomorrow to have the nuclear injection for the sentinel nodes. I’m feeling quite scared now. I’ve every reason to believe it’s DCIS (high grade), the one lymph node that was tested was reactive but cancer free. Not really sure what reactive means. They’ve said there may be some invasive there. But fingers crossed. They didn’t find any on the biopsies but the area is 4cm, so quite large.
I’m still having lower back ache and rib pain so that’s playing tricks with my mind.
I’m not sure how I feel about the mastectomy. I don’t feel like I’ve had much time to think about it. I’m only just getting over the shock of the diagnosis. I know I just want whatever is in there out and am hopeful I can have a good reconstruction when I am healed.
I just can’t help thinking there’s something else there. Feeling rotallly under the weather too.
Sorry for having a moan up !!
Big hugs to all xxx

Thank you so much Helena xxz

Will be thinking about you tmw. Hope it all goes OK. Big hug.
PF. Xx

Hi Lilneenz

just been reading through your thread - I’m playing a waiting game for results at the moment and it helps to remember others are getting through difficult situations, its not just me panicking or whatever. It does sound hopeful re your initial results - when I was first diagnosed with high grade DCIS I was told it was 50:50 whether it had started to spread - I had mx and SNL and they found a large area (about 7cm) but all DCIS and no invasion. Obviously you / they will only know for sure once you’ve had the results after surgery but fingers crossed it has all stayed contained.

As others have said, I could feel all sorts of twinges and aches and pains in various places while going through the whole process - your brain will naturally be on high alert for anything ‘wrong’ and therefore much more sensitive to stuff. I hope your surgery goes well and fingers crossed for ‘good’ results x

Hi Nina,
Good to hear from you. Glad to hear you are sitting up and doing a little better today. Take it easy and don’t expect too much from yourself. I took a pain killer before sleeping at night and I think it helped as I didn’t wake up at all in pain.

With regards to drains, I keep reading about this problem with what to do with them in uk! In Spain they have a little plastic clip above the balloon so you can clip it on your waist band. With a long loose top on it can’t be seen and is very manageable.

Anyway that was by the by!
Best wishes and big hug Nina. Hope you can go home soon to your own bed.
Xx

Hello … thanks lizred and poppyfields. I’m home on the sofa watching rubbish tv, eating ferro Roche and being waited on by the hubby.

I feel woozy and emotional but I’m ok. Just tried doing some of the exercises. Bit painful but do-able. Have a super heightened sense of smell too, think that’s related to the nausea.

I haven’t got a drain !! I asked why and they said it was because I was slim so hopefully all will be ok. I have a tight pressure bandage on until tomorrow - so I will see the scar for the first time, which is scary. It was strange looking down last night in the hospital and only seeing one bump and going home lopsided felt odd. Too painful for a bra and softy.

Found out on op morning I have a UTI which explains the back pain and maybe the rib pain - they gave me Iv antibiotics and some for home and the pain has gone !!! The antibiotics will be good for healing too so all good x

Love to you all xxxx

Hello everyone - I was home yesterday morning. I don’t have a drain just a huge pressure bandage which comes off today.
I asked why and they said it’s because I’m slim…hopefully all will be well. I was looked after so well.
I felt woozy all day yesterday but I feel ok today, a little bit of pain but nothing paracetamol can’t handle. The pressure bandages come off today so I will see the scar for the first time. I’m a little scared, but once I’ve seen it, I can move forward. It feels odd having one boob :frowning:
I still have the numbness in the armpit and back of arm and hope the sensation will return as only had two sentinel nodes removed.
So now it’s two week wait again !!! All I know so far is that the operation went well. Nothing else. Is this usually what happens ??
Love to all xxxx

Oh and I forgot to say, they found I had a uti just before the op so I’ve they gave me Iv antuobuotics and some to take home. And guess what, the backaches gone !!! Xxx

Hi Lizred
Hope you’re feeling ok with all the waiting - any news yet ??
Nina xxxx

Thank you Helena
Yes they’ve said about 2 weeks for results…wow 5 weeks is a long wait !!
Yes I’m keeping as positive as I can, it is helping…I will get to the end of this one day and with the help and support of all you lovely ladies, the journey won’t be as hard.
Thank you xxxxx

Hi Nina, Glad you are home and can start to recuperate. I had what I guess was a pressure bandage. I felt I had been mummified! I’m very slim too.
I hope it goes OK when the bandages come off, as you know I had a different op to you (only a quadrantectomy) and for me the shock came 2 weeks later when the swelling had subsided alot seemingly overnight and looking in the mirror that morning seeing my much shrunken boob was abit upsetting but over the next week or so I have accepted the changes and moved on as I’m sure you will do.
When I was feeling much better after the op I found myself focused back on “waiting” again and I hope it is only 2 weeks to wait and no more.

I hope you can get some good rest to aid your recovery and ill be thinking of you today.
Big hug and best wishes.
Xx