Inconclusive bone scan, what could it mean?

Had my primary diagnosis in June 2022 and in January this year I had a bone scan due to some rib pain on the cancer side. After a very anxious 4 weeks today I got the results. They said there was ‘increased uptake’ on the ribs where I have pain and are going to do a repeat bone scan in 3 months. There is also apparently a shadow on my head so they are doing a CT now. They said it could be old but wasnt there in 2022. If these arent bone mets what else could have caused these? Should I be worried?

Hi @bekbek1, and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear of your worries, which I think we all completely understand. I hope you get helpful advice to get you through the weeks before your next scan - it’s just awful waiting :pensive: , but good that they’re being thorough and re-scanning.
Can I ask if you went straight for bone scan after reporting pain, or did they do an X-ray/CT first? And what is your pain like? I have had persistent localised rib pain (opposite side of cancer) for months now, feels like a bruise (nothing visible and no lump). X-ray and CT clear so they said it’s nothing to worry about. But, like you, I don’t know what else it could be.

Thank you, it really is the waiting that is the worst. It has now been 5 weeks and still no appointment for CT let alone results which is really difficult. I had an ultrasound first which was clear and then the bone scan. Because the pain was in the ribs they did a SPECT-CT of that area during the bone scan but as there were no symptoms of my skull thats why they are doing a separate CT. The pain in my ribs is quite similar to you, sort of tender with occasional sharp pains. I hope your pain settles down and you find an answer as to what it is or at least reassurance that it isnt something sinister. X