What do my bone scan results mean?

bekbek1

19h

Had my primary diagnosis in June 2022 and in January this year I had a bone scan due to some rib pain on the cancer side. After a very anxious 4 weeks today I got the results. They said there was ‘increased uptake’ on the ribs where I have pain and are going to do a repeat bone scan in 3 months. There is also apparently a shadow on my head so they are doing a CT now. They said it could be old but wasnt there in 2022. If these arent bone mets what else could have caused these? Can a shadow be caused my moving in the scan? Should I be worried?

Hi bekbek1

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you on Monday.

In the meantime our helpline is open until 4pm today, and we are open between 9am and 1pm tomorrow (Saturday) if you would like to talk things through.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses Service Co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Hi bekbek1

Thanks for posting.

Experiencing new symptoms, having tests, and waiting for results can be very difficult, particularly when as you describe further tests are needed.

It’s difficult for us to say what the reason for these changes might be. The best people to discuss this with are your treatment team as they have access to your scan reports. You could ask your breast care nurse if she can arrange an appointment for you to discuss this further with a member of your team.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

You are also welcome to call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Val

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.