January 2019 chemo starters

Thank you xx

Thanks Sunnydaze, it’s brilliant to read such a positive post.  You’re right, it’s fear of the unknown that gets us.

G  - I’m coldcapping too.  The nurse said, with the thickness of my hair, I have an 80% chance of keeping it so fingers crossed.  Just in case, I’ve bought a couple of beanies from a brilliant website called Hats 4 Heads.  Lots of lovely styles and good prices.

I’m still suffering from the cough and cold I developed after the flu jab.  My husband’s just about to go up to stay with his family for the New Year but I’ve decided to stay at home.  I think it’ll do him the world of good to be away from all the stress and my poorlyness (is that a word?)

D

Poorlyness is most def a word D!!! ?
I have thin long hair so think I am clutching at straws but going to give the cold cap a go. I don’t look great in hats but will def take a look at website, thank u! I have a wig appointment for following week after chemo so will see how that goes too.
Hope everyone having a restful few days xx

Hi All,

Just introducing myself as I am new to this group.

I also start my chemo on the 4th of January; 3 x EC and 3 x Taxol.

Starting to get nervous now but that’s to be expected. 

I have had a wonderful Xmas spending it with family and friends. Planning to have a fab New Year and then it’s time to start the 2nd part of my journey.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone when your treatment starts. 

Take care and speak soon xxx

Hi MaMa JuJu, You seem to have a really positive attitude to everything in your post, glad the holiday season has been good to you and enjoy NY Eve ? Looking forward to catching up over the coming months - we are having the same drug combination so this maybe useful going forward. I just want it to start now to be honest, I am better getting on with it than the build up!
Take care xx

Hi MMJJ!  

That makes 5 of us so far going into battle in January.  You’re mostly all starting on 4th but I’m a little behind you on 7th.  I’m lucky that my husband is retired so can run me to and from the hospital.  I didn’t realise, until I was going through all the “bumph” they gave me, that Taxol has alcohol so could make me over the limit for driving.

I hope you all have a fab New Years Eve.  I plan on eating a lot of pate and blue cheese while I still can!

D

Hello Ladies, sorry you find yourselves here but am glad that you found this place… .its invaluable!

I started my chemo in June 2018 and finished my last one on 24 September 2018.  I had 3 x FEC and 3 x T (Docetaxol).   You seem to have found lots of tips and hints already but here’s a few more…

Drink plenty - especially the day prior to chemo, the day of chemo and the day after … this helps to keep the veins nice and plump too!

Eat what you can when you can, I kept a box of ginger biscuits, crackers and boiled sweets with me always, just something to nibble on if you feel nausea.

Pineapple (tinned) is great when you have dodgy taste buds.

Frozen lollies or frozen fruit also good for sore mouths.

When I had a really bad “lard tongue” the nurse suggested getting Vit C tablets (the kind in a tube which you dissolve in water) and let 1/2 of one dissolve on your tongue, certainly gets the mouth buds tingling.

A spoon of Manuka honey a day… lots of ladies swear by this!

Take all the medications given, and if something doesn’t suit you or help at all, don’t hesitate to call your chemo hotline… they have lots of medications in their arsenal and everyone reacts differently.  Never be afraid to call them.

Take your temperature regularly… always take it before taking paracetemol… and call the hotline if it gets too high.

REST… sounds simple, but listen to you body and take it easy.  BUT also if you can exercise a little, just a little walk around the garden will lift your spirits!

Anti sickness travel bands… I used these and didn’t suffer very much with sickness… a bit of “morning sickness” feeling sometimes but not sure if the bands helped or not… but I kept them on incase!

Keep a diary of how you feel each day, the chemo SEs usually follow a pattern so you should see how you will be feeling for the next cycle and can plan some treats around the worst days.

Don’t take your steroids after lunchtime,… they stop you sleeping at night!!

Most importantly… come on here and ask questions, moan, groan and let it all out.   I am on the June Chemo 2018 starters forum and if you go on there you can follow our whole journey through this and out the other side.

Chemo isn’t nice… but it isn’t unbearable either,  some days are down… but you do get good days too… I worked through mine, albeit part time and at home but still managed it.

Take care…

Kip

xxx

Thanks for taking the time to share all of this Kip. I just want to get to Friday and get on with it all but glad I have a few days so I can stock up on some of the useful things u mentioned!
So pleased your are a long way on in your journey and are in such a positive place, well done, Cheers, G x

Thank you so much Kip for the info, I already have a box with bits and bobs in it but I can now add to this with your suggestions. I know everyone is different in how they respond to the drugs but how long did it take for you to get over the main side effects of your first chemo? It’s my birthday on the 13th of January and I am hoping to enjoy a bit of birthday cake ? if my taste buds let me. 

D, welcome to the January club. I hope you had a lovely New Year. 

Like G says, I just want to get the first one over with but it really isn’t long now. 

All the best,

MMJJ XXX

Hi MMJJ,

I understand your worries about how quickly you will be back to eating cake… I can assure you even with a lardy mouth and no taste buds I was still eating cake!!

I found with my first FEC treatment, I felt fine for the first 4 days, then on the 5th day I was a bit tired and had a little bit of a sore tongue which stayed around for the next few days.  By day 8 I felt ok again and was fine until the next treatment.  The part I always found difficult was when I finished taking the steroids ( I think that is about day 5 after treatment with FEC).  I would always have a downer as I came off of them and would be a bit weepy and fed up, but after a day or so I’d bounce back.  Look out for the steroid downer!  The FEC treatments pretty much followed the same pattern each time, if you get a sore tongue/mouth the hospital told me to rinse with salt water (I tried to do this regularly throughout the day especially after eating) and they also gave me Difflam mouth wash (you can buy this over the counter) and that helped too.  Nip it in the bud as soon as you can… ring that helplie and they will give you as many meds as you need.  Generally the SEs I had from FEC where on par with pregnancy sickness, I took the as and when sickness pills they give you a couple of times a day for the first couple of days and then it went.  I found I wanted to eat more to stave off the sicky feeling, sausage rolls and salt n vinegar crisps seemed to be what I craved.   Just eat when you can and whatever you feel like, my nurses said its no time to be dieting, just get through it.

I didn’t mention before as its quite a big deal but the hair loss… mine started day 12 after my first chemo, by day 15 it was going big time and I had to brave the shave.   Its a bloody big deal when you are going through it (or was for me anyway) but once its gone, its gone and you move on and deal with it, on a happier note, by chemo 5 my hair was growing back and is now full covering, quite thick and about 1inch long (you can see it on my photo… although it is grey!)  If you feel your head/hair tingling thats the sign is starting to shed.   Lots of us on June chemo thread posted our baldie photos if you fancy a look.

I hope this helps, Im sure you’ll be eating that cake!

take care

Kip

xx

OOoh just remembered… I didn’t mention “constipation”… I found the steroids caused constipation…drink lots, eat fruit (dates/figs on your breakfast) if you can also I took lactulose (recommended by Oncology nurse) in the evenings for the first few days.  Once steroids were over it was back to normal.  Some ladies find the chemo has the oppostie effect, so worth having some Diacalm in ready just in case. 

Kip

x

Hi I start chemo January 10th so am glad to join this thread. Feeling very scared . Will be thinking of you on the 4th x

Just wanted to say hi Rachel and looking forward to sharing etc over coming months x

Hi All, 

Welcome Rachel50…starting to feel nervous now but I just want it to happen. I go for my pre-chemo appointment tomorrow along with my ECG and Echocardiogram. 

I also got my hair cut last Friday, not quite the Pixie look but much shorter than normal just to soften the blow when it actually happens. I am always thinking that it is going to grow back. 

I have ordered the Travel Sickness Bands along with other bits and bobs from Amazon. 

Kip, thanks for your tips about going to the toilet. I shall pop both of them on the shopping list.

Not long to go now girls…I hope you are all doing well. 

Sending lots of love MMJJ xxx

Hi all, just popped over from the December thread to wish you all well. Commenced my chemo Christmas eve and so far ok.

Your probably all caught up in a whirlwind of tests, scans etc, be gentle with yourselves and don’t be afraid to ask if your unsure of anything etc. Your nursing team are always willing to help where they can.

Best wishes to you all x

My first chemo is in 24 hours and my anxiety is now sky high. There are so many things to worry about but top of my list right now are an allergic reaction or leakage out of the vein. I really, really hope it’s an anticlimax.

Deep breaths B74… I remember that feeling, I was beside myself with worry. I actually sobbed for the first hour or so of my chemo but the nurse was so lovely.  If you are having FEC they have to adminster it manually (rather than having a drip fed one) so the nurse sits with you throughout which was really nice as she chatted to me all the time and put me at ease.  They are always checking for leaks or problems so don’t worry nothing untoward will happen.   No 2 chemo onwards I used to take a different friend with me and we would sit and chat, eat and drink and pass the time…

Big hugs to you all this week…

Kip

xxx

Thanks Kip and Fluffysunshinepants for your kind words.

B74, we are in it together as I also have my chemo tomorrow. I wish you all the best and will be thinking about you. Sending you big hugs.

I am anxious too but know that it’s only going to be for approx. 6 months out of my life.

We can all do this.

What time is your chemo? Mine is at 1030.

Will let you know how I get on. 

Wishing everyone else that is getting chemo tomorrow all the best.

xxxx

Thank you everyone. I’m feeling a bit calmer now, wasn’t helped by the fact I’m fasting and was feeling dreadful yesterday - but something must have switched over & I now feel great.

MaMaJuJu - mine’s at 1:30pm but I’m in Australia so I think that’s 2:30am London time.

Hugs to you too - hope it all goes well!!

PS G I think you’re starting on the 4th too - what time is yours?