July 2024 chemo starters

Thank you @belle1 Some great tips there. It’s also good to find somebody having success with the cold cap. I’ve got my first chemo (EC) in the morning and I’m going to give the cold cap a go so your tips about the paracetamol and flask of tea are good to know. x

4 Likes

Good luck tomorrow, angieb1.
My main gripe with cold capping is that you have to be unhooked and rehooked to go to the loo!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips @belle1 and @Shi I am slowly putting together a list of things to get! I am also getting obsessed with headscarfs & beanie hats @idcand49

@bex1 I am at the Marsden/Sutton too :slightly_smiling_face:

@cf640 thanks for the information about PICC lines I will ask as I think I am on the same weekly treatment schedule. Devon is a lovely part of the world, my sister lived in North Tawnton for a while :heart:

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences of chemo so far, it really helps xx

3 Likes

Thanks I have been ready the April May and June threads to get my tips lol and posting on here

2 Likes

@lilo1973 i have too and a Facebook Paxman cooling group

I’ve spent a fortune but needs must & if I can be armed with things to help it makes me feel good.

X

1 Like

What beanies / scarves website can you recommend (I may even go Joan Collins with a turban!)

1 Like

Thank you @cf640 Got PICC line fitted today. Bit uncomfortable but ok. Feeling a bit nervous about the morning but will be good to get started. x

6 Likes

So far I have got a slouch jersey beanie Slouch beanie and wide yoga style headbands both on amazon and a couple of headbands from seasalt (on sale atm) & lots of colours & patterns.Seasalt headbands

Have you found any ones you like? I am not very good with scarfs, think I will need to sign myself up for a course!

1 Like

Sign up for the look good feel good online. I’ve just signed up for one next Tuesday xx

1 Like

@kerrylou1 im signed up for the one on Tuesday too - virtual at 1030!

And a hair makeup one this Fri (figured take adv of post chemo steroids !)
:smile:

2 Likes

@booklover1 love these headbands!

I also bought the slouchie beanie - hope they do the job xxx

1 Like

See you there! Will have to find a scarf to practice with

1 Like

Thanks @kerrylou1 I will sign myself up for one!

1 Like

Thanks for your message @lilo1973. I have not started chemo yet, I have my heart scan on Tuesday and I would imagine it will be as soon as the results are back so probably the week after.
For info, I had a really bad day on Monday and therefore booked myself on the Look Good Feel Better course where I met some lovely ladies all at different stages of the journey. It really helped as I was feeling quite isolated but we all talked about our experiences to date and you realise how many others are in the same boat :roll_eyes:
I would definitely recommend it, also get a fab goody bag!

6 Likes

Just home after chemo - 1 of 4.

Feel exhausted but no dramas. Everyone super nice & calming

Not sure my cap was the right fit (went medium inner, smaller outer) but what can I do.

Now I just play the waiting game of what side effects hit me. Nurses packed me with anti sickness , anti runny tummy and the fun GSF infections and told me to live my life within reason (I said, so no festivals then? :rofl:)

I had a horrid metal taste in my mouth during Docetaxel but did chew on ice so hope that helps it!

Hope you’re all faring well! Xx

7 Likes

Ah thanks for the update! Very helpful @idcand49
Mine starts this time next week :see_no_evil: so will be interesting to see how you get on before me x

2 Likes

Great news it went well. I had my 2nd session of pax and carbo. I feel 10/10. I have been busy since I got home. Hoovered the car, done washing, packed for our holiday to Devon tomorrow and cooked the family dinner.

I think it’s the steroids! I was chatting to everyone on my ward.

I know it gets worse but this is very manageable right now. My mantra, live to for now, not tomorrow.

I will be honest I promise, so when it’s hard, I’ll say it’s hard.

If there is anyone in the Surrey area, who would like to meet face to face for a coffee or at Maggies in Sutton let me know. It would be lovely to meet some local people. X

4 Likes

Had my first chemo today (EC) Took just under an hour but had cold cap on for 30 mins before and 90 mins after. Cold cap was ok, it wasn’t as cold as I thought it would be, first 15 mins were the worst. I took 2 paracetamol half hour before. I did have a headache start half way through treatment which has lingered for most of the day. Thought it might have been from the cold cap but apparently it’s also a side effect of the EC so maybe a bit of both. Got anti sickness and steroid tablets before starting and more to take at home as well as the injections that I need to give myself from day 3 for 7 days. Felt very tired and slept for a couple of hours when I got home but overall a lot better than I thought I would be. First one down :blush:

5 Likes

I’m in Staffs/Shrop border and starting on 16th . I’m going to try a cold cap as I’m always banging on about the benefits of cold water therapy and my friends say it’ll be the same as putting my head in a bucket of ice! :rofl:

I’m having 12 taxol and 12 EC plus carbo and Pembro.

Nervous of the side effects but I’ll be cleaning the house this weekend in prep and have hibi scrub, masks etc for visitors.

Looking forward to getting rid of it and planning the rest of my life. Best wishes to all.

6 Likes

So pleased it was ok @angieb1 and you sharing will reassure others starting this week or next.

I hope you have a good night.

4 Likes