July 2024 chemo starters

I did the same and stopped for that reason. Had my assessment today and my chemo will be every week for 24 weeks and immunotherapy every three weeks. Much more than I was first told but I’m ready for it now.

1 Like

Hi
I start on 16th on the same treatment. X3 week cycles of Taxal every week for 12 weeks and immunotherapy every week. Then switch to EC and immunotherapy. For the same. I have a 5.5 cm tumour which is growing fast. Mine is triple negative too.

I had my assessment today and saw the unit. PICC line going in on 15th

Just want to get on with it. Wishing you well with your treatment x

2 Likes

Hiya! I’m from Harlow.
I’m doing ok currently. Got sore mouth and a little bit of a funny throat but nothing too terrible.
They prescribed me some lansoprazole for the heartburn so I’m happy lol.
Hope you’re well :heart::heart:

2 Likes

Hi I am from Redhill nice to meet everyone :heart:. I am starting chemo next week on the 17th.

I was wondering about picc lines, as its not been mentioned yet. Does it depend on type of chemo you are on?

Good luck everyonexx

1 Like

Hi @bex1 thanks for your words about seeing the tests as baseline tests. I am going to try and not worry until they come in.

I hope your ALTs are ok now & treatment goes well this week

Good luck xx

1 Like

Good luck @loobyloo1 on the 16th. I can understand just wanting to get going with it. I hope it all goes well for you.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Sorry for the multiple posts! I am still getting the hang of the messageboard whether to hit reply to a message or reply to the thread?? I will get the idea eventually :rofl:

2 Likes

Black nail polish helped preserve my fingernail from the chemo and a good hand cream that helps hands and feet during chemo is udderly smooth with extra urea from Amazon, a tip that was passed down all of us who had chemo in 2017 hope that helps :two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

3 Likes

Hi everyone
I’m from Devon and being treated at Exeter.
I had my first PICC clean yesterday - the nurse said it was a good line - good news I guess!
My hair hasn’t started to fall out yet but i bought a second hand wig in prep from the lovely local cancer charity.
I have weekly chemo and my stomach is not happy after the first set. Besides that, it’s ok so far.
I’m worried about sepsis - I don’t know if this is rational??- and wondering what precautions you were all advised to take?
Xx

2 Likes

I’m from London (but moved here from San Fran back in the mid 90’s)

Can’t remember who asked about cold capping but my nurse said it would be help protect the follicles and mentioned we can go onto surgical caps when I’m :woman_bald: so she was ok for me to do it. It adds 90min to the day but thankfully the hospital is 15 min away

I’m so happy to hear that so far side effects are “ok”

After signing away my life yesterday (literally signing a doc with all the worst that can happen) this has made me feel much more positive in a really shit situ

I’m doing my first cycle with a cannula and if ok will do following 3 with it (if not poss getting a port) I picc would mean a weekly flush/clean and if I can avoid doing to hospital that would be great!

:wink:

1 Like

@cf640 sepsis is my number one worry too!

My nurse said the GSF injection is to help with this & talked to me about avoiding public transport when possible, avoid ppl with colds and rest when my body is asking for it

Just pray none of us have to go through it (my dad had it years ago & v scary experience)

2 Likes

Hi booklover
They only mentioned PICC lines to me when i asksed about having a port so i assume they are standard?
I didn’t get a port because it would mean delays and i wanted to start shrinking these tumours!! Cannula wouldn’t work for me because i have weekly drugs to start with.
Hopefully they will talk it through at your next appt or have you tried Macmillian? I’ve asksed their nurses a few queations.

2 Likes

Hi @booklover1

Are you being treated at Sutton Marsden? I live in Ashtead/Epsom.

X

Thank you @Shi Will give the nail varnish and cream a go. Willing to try anything that might help. x

1 Like

Hope everyone is doing ok. I’m from Carlisle in Cumbria. Getting my PICC line fitted today and start my chemo tomorrow. (3 cycles of EC every 3 weeks then 3 of Docetaxel every 3 weeks). Feeling nervous but also keen to get started. x

I’m from Shropshire! My start date is 17th (3x EC, 3 x docetaxel) I’m avidly reading all on here to see how everyone is going on and getting the hints and tips, not sure what I’m doing really and I keep forgetting who everyone is (sorry!)
Am going to try cold capping if I can but got appointment for wig today and have been ordering various headcoverings as well. Am also scared about sepsis @idcand49 and @cf640 (& allergic reaction to chemo, but hopefully once first one is over I can relax about that).

1 Like

As we are on the same trajectory where is everyone looking for silk bands / bandanas

I’ve grabbed some cheap & cheerful cotton beanies for home but need more

Is there a “go to”?

Re wig , nurse has done my referral xx

Hi :smiling_face: sorry to jump in but thought I’d offer some tips.

For nails, check with your hospital/BCN to see if they can give you polybalm. If not, you can buy it but it’s £50 for 2 tubes. You rub it on the cuticles and it has been fab for myself and a few others in the April chemo starters.

For your Filgrastrim jags you can get aches/bone pain so take a loratadine hay fever tablet an hour before you do the injection and also take it out the fridge at least 30 mins before doing it.

Myself and a couple others are cold capping successfully so far (I’ve done 4 EC and 1 Docetaxel of 4 and the others have done one more cycle than me I think). Take paracetamol about 30 mins before you cold cap as it definitely helps stop a sore head and I also sip on a cup of tea that I take in a flask for the first 15 mins as it counteracts the initial cold head. After that your head goes kind of numb and you don’t really feel it.

Re: sepsis good hygiene is key. Wash hands and think of hygiene like in Covid times. Brush your teeth after meals and use your mouthwash as oral hygiene is also important. The main thing is say is if you have any issues make sure you phone the helpline early as it’s far easier to sort stuff if you phone early :smiling_face:

Another tip is to drink lots of water - helps flush out all the toxins and you’ll feel better for it… I also make sure I do some sort of exercise every day (doesn’t need to be anything mental can be a walk) and I swear I feel better for it and it helps with side effects! Dr Liz O’Riordan is a great resource and has a YouTube channel/instagram and a breast cancer book as well if you’re interested. There are also look good feel better workshops that are fab for preparing yourself (there’s 4 different ones you can book onto). The cancer hair care website has lots of links for hair/eyebrow/eyelash stuff and places to get headscarves/hats etc too if you need help with this. It also has more info about cold capping. Good luck!!

5 Likes

@belle1

Thanks so much they are great tips xxxx

1 Like

Hi angieb1, Sorry to hear about the cording. Ask your breast care nurse to give you helpful tips/exercises. Good luck with your chemo and don’t worry if you can’t raise your arm above your head when you get to radiotheraphy, I couldn’t and the radiologists sorted out a different way to place my arm. Thinking of you and everyone going through chemo. Take care. Sunshine21

2 Likes

Don’t forget there are usually selection of pre loved wigs at your Macmillan’s within your trusts too :heart: take it a treatment at a time and tick them off :heart: hang onto each other, you’ll get each other safely through and believe me when the steroids have you bouncing off the wall at all hours of tge night you’ll be messaging away to each other during the night too :heart: there will be :joy::joy::astonished::astonished:and everything in between but the bond you’ll forge with each other on here is forever :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes