June 2024 chemo starters

Last day of chemo done!!!

Wishing everyone still finishing their treatment lots of love.

Its been very emotional - i feel like the enormity of what has happened is hitting me now. Thankfully I have been referred for counselling now.

Radiotherapy starts mid November but for now I am focusing on getting more engergy back so we can enjoy half term fun!

Thank you all for the support & such lovely words! Xx

8 Likes

Well done @bettyb24. Huge congratulations. Another lovely picture for the June group. Wishing you minimal side effects on this last one :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations! @bettyb24 Lovely photo.x

1 Like

@bettyb24 Hurrah! Well done! Another one of our merry band FINISHED :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

@wjs you look fabulous :heart: eyebrows look super!

@pat great article - 2 weeks today since I finished chemo - expectations from everyone including myself is weird! Worked long hours mon -Wed this week and my husband told me off - I was exhausted and wasnt making time for me. He says Iā€™d managed the chemo very well and therefore people - mainly work think itā€™s hurrah we are back to normal - some say the right thing but actually their actions show otherwise. I guess Iā€™m determined to try to be normal but then beat yourself up for being stupid! Itā€™s trying to keep a balance.

@donna_51 I donā€™t feel very sexy - just a bit of fluff for hair, one dodgy boob, more mascara on my eyelid than eyelashes :crazy_face: might have to try something else false soon :joy:- itā€™s hard to move on ā€¦. The counselling is good that you recommended- not sure how to normalise everything! Baby steps I guessā€¦. The article was useful.

@bettyb24 brought a tear to my eye today - you look wonderful. :muscle:

4 Likes

Congratulations @bettyb24 such a beautiful photo

3 Likes

Whhooo @bettyb24 fantastic news that another one has finished. So glad youā€™re looking forward to half term and having some fun. You deserve it xx

@pat your advice to see light rather than darkness in my CT planning worked!! I forced myself to think positive and not focus on the incredibly noisy machine and the session was ok. Thankyou xx

Yep @collywobbles baby steps indeed but itā€™s sooo hard to remember that when weā€™re itching to get back to normality. I did a little jog with my youngest yesterday, for about 5 minutes, and needed to lie down when I got home. My mind might say ā€˜whooo Iā€™m backā€™ but my body has other ideasā€¦ probably ā€˜sit down and eat more cake womanā€™!!!

4 Likes

Thank you all!

I know a few of us are thinking about when to return to workā€¦

I spoke to my oncologist last week and my radiotherapy will start 13 november & run until mod December. I also need to start my taximā€¦ in november too.

My oncologist wants me to do a phased return from January-i havent spoken to work about this, im worried what this means for Ā£Ā£Ā£

But i also know deep down im not fit to go back now & i want to be in thr best place i can be for radiotherapy so that i can enjoy Christmas with my children as best i can now.

So i just wanted to say please dont feel pressured going back to work - i know cash is tight especially in the run up to Christmas but chemo has been a MASSIVE thing we have had to survive

Xxx

3 Likes

@collywobbles and @bettyb24 I agree with you both totally. Baby steps and be kind to ourselves with everything. Especially with Christmas coming up as we deserve a nice Christmas where we havenā€™t flogged ourselves half too death trying to work as well as do all the Christmas stuff! It will take months to get our former energy back I imagine, so we just have to be patient.

@donna_51 Iā€™m pleased your scan went well and that you could ā€˜visualise the positiveā€™. I now prescribe cake to celebrate :joy::joy:

2 Likes

@charlie22 I hope all goes well for the funeral today and that you manage ok. I will be thinking of you and am sending love and hugs :people_hugging: :hugs: :heart:

4 Likes

Thinking of you @charlie22 I hope everything goes as well as it can today. Big hugs :hugs:

1 Like

@charlie22 sending hugs for today :mending_heart: :hugs: x

1 Like

@charlie22 :two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations on finishing, what a lovely photo x

1 Like

Hi

I normally post in July chemo starters but I too still have some blue on my boob from June surgery. It can take months and months to go apparently x

1 Like

Thank you for the reassurance @kerrylou1. At my planning scan yesterday, the lovely radiographers also confirmed that it can take quite a long time to disappear. I think since finishing chemo Iā€™ve started to really overthink some things. Iā€™ve also noticed that Iā€™ve now got cording in my armpit, so I need to contact the BCN today to find out what I need to do to alleviate that. It feels like the light gets brighter and then dimmer again.

1 Like

I had my final weekly paclitaxel yesterday :partying_face:. Congrats to all those finishing chemo!

Had my picc line out and slept better for that last night.

Still a long way to go as I had chemo first, so surgery next month, followed by radiotherapy and continuing on targeted therapy until august next year as Iā€™m HER2 positive. But part 1 is now done and it feels good to say that.

Anyone recommend any must haves for surgery? Iā€™m having a lumpectomy and ancillary node clearance xx

5 Likes

Hi @rrey. Congratulations on finishing your chemo. Youā€™ve got the hardest part out of the way. I had my lumpectomy first and was dreading it, but it was a walk in the park compared to chemo. Honestly, you donā€™t know itā€™s happening. I didnā€™t suffer with any pain afterwards either. I used rosehip oil to massage the scar area as it was recommended by the physio. Do the exercises religiously and get a heart shaped cushion to prop under your arm whilst sitting and sleeping. I got mine from primark. I took the bandages off myself after a week. Donā€™t worry too much about the shape of your boob straight after as it will fill out again over the next few months and will look better. Hope that helps. Xxxx

1 Like

@rrey well done on finishing your chemo. I had chemo first too and will have single mastectomy next month. I finished the injections last night as well, which feels good.

3 Likes

@alig1961 hope you get some help and answers about the cording.

1 Like