June 2024 chemo starters

Thanks guys :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Iā€™m stil sat at home waiting for the call into go up ā€¦ my appointment was at 9.30am but got a call to say stay at home till itā€™s ready :grimacing:

@pat not for today ā€¦ I never feel like eating when I get back ā€¦ always get jammies on and into bed for a sleep. BUT I have ordered a huge slab of cake from a bakery called Get Baked and thatā€™s arriving on Friday :raised_hands:t3::rofl: Iā€™ll send you a pic when it comes ā€¦ itā€™s hiuuuggge!! :rofl:

@alig1961 oh definitely Iā€™ve got plans in place in for this time so I am left well alone so I can rest ā€¦ itā€™s only taken me to the end of my treatments to realise that I need it :grimacing:

Take care all :two_hearts:

4 Likes

It took me a long time to realise that too! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

@pat , Iā€™ve finished chemo and still havenā€™t learnt it!!

But have learnt to treat myself a bitā€¦im just back from a massage and reiki treatmentā€¦i was a bit nervous but was amazing. The knots in my shoulders have been loosened a bit and dare i say it, my hips feel less acheyā€¦! Long may that continue.

@charlie22 , hope youre soon tucked up in your bed and chemo is behind you xxx

5 Likes

So lovely to read all your updates.
5 more paclitaxels for me before surgery in Late Dec (type TBC following next scan)

Some questions;

1. Chemo induced menopause - Iā€™ve had no periods since Jul/Aug - oncologist said due to chemo. Iā€™ve started to read Dr Mindy Pelzā€™s work on eating and exercising differently based on monthly menstrual cycle but now canā€™t work out when my cycle is! Any ideas? So strange not feeling my hormones anymore!

2. Moving house! We are relocating area in spring 25 due to work. Has anyone navigated moving oncology and surgical teams to a new NHS trust during their journeys so far?? Eeek

Xx

@charlie22 hope you got your call up and treatment got done - nothing more frustrating than everything being put on hold!

Thanks all about letrozole - oncologist told me yoga or Pilates may help so @nicd i think sounds like your friend has got good ideas. I went to yoga last night and felt good to go back after 6 months. Apparently I will get vitamin D and Magnesium next month automatically because of bone density loss. @pat you made me laugh - my to do pile just gets bigger and bigger :joy:

Baby steps ā€¦. Off for a walk to the coffee shop which meansā€¦ā€¦ cake :birthday:

5 Likes

@sarahw6 sorry i dont have much advice, i was already menopausal and hadnt reallt had a period for a while, but not fully through it either so hard for my oncologist or me to know where i was at. I suspect your breast care nurse would be a good resource as well as others here.
I havent moved house (weveput that off til later next yearā€¦) but i did have to move between a private treatment regime to NHS as my work finished and with it private medical cover. I was worried but it went very smoothly without any delay. Talk it through with your current team, i suspect they will be very supportive and talk through how it will work and timescale for them to refer you on. Like all things, its probably down to how good the individuals are, but in my experience any oncology people have been so supportive and caring. I hope the same for you, and everyone else.

@collywobbles good on you back to yoga! Im trained as a yoga teacher so ive been lucky to understand my own body and limits to practice at home throughoutā€¦ doesnt stop me being frustrated at how much strength and flexibility i have lost! (And i wasnt amazing beforeā€¦!! :sweat_smile:)

Woken up in an emotional state today, tears already before 8! For no particular reason and everything all at the same timeā€¦ off for a walk in the sun and a couple of hours volunteering, hopefully lift me upā€¦

Wishing everyone a good day xxx :heart:

3 Likes

@charlie22 Ive heard of Get Baked - have you ordered a ā€˜Bruceā€™?:laughing: Hope you got sorted with your treatment.

@sarahw6 I donā€™t really have any answers to your questions but Iā€™ve not had a period either since April time when I had my lumpectomy. I have an appointment with my Oncologist in a couple of weeks to discuss Tamoxifen Iā€™m going onto. So going to ask him for any advice re supplements etc to help with the menopause. (I was perimenopause before all this).

2 Likes

Had to google Get Baked! Wow they look amazing. Youā€™ll have to let us know what itā€™s like @pat!

Hoping @charlie22 chemo went ahead and youā€™re now back home recovering.

I had a mammogram and ultrasound yesterday and my tumour has shrunk by another 1-1.5cm which is great news.

Hope everyone has a great Thursday.

5 Likes

Thank you - good luck with your appt. Hope it goes well

@nicd amazing thank you.
Weā€™re moving to Lichfield. Is anyone under Oncology / cancer services in that area I wonder?

Thanks all ā€¦ I am DONE!!! Felt really emotional ringing that bell and still feel that today!! Just got to ride this week out :grimacing: ā€¦ currently still in bed with absolutely zero plans to move until the kids get home from school!

@wjs ā€¦ itā€™s the updated version ā€¦ the Bertha :rofl::rofl: which is extremely adapt way of describing me right now! :rofl: @jojoh i know I canā€™t wait ā€¦ I got given the book last year and although made a couple of things that beast I couldnā€™t even attemptā€¦ one last treat ā€¦ :crazy_face::rofl::rofl:

Sorry @sarahw6 not much advise either ā€¦ I also started the menopause back in June when starting treatment, only advise I have been offered is to take evening primrose oil ā€¦ but itā€™s definitely something I need to explore more!

Along with some exercise now (other than short walks) A lot of you mention Yoga so I was going to look into some local classes ā€¦ that or Pilates, complete novice here not sure whatā€™s best? I feel so weak so main focus for now is to build strength rather than loose loads of weight ā€¦ although that needs addressing too! However with surgery looming I think I probable need to be realistic in my limitations and expectations :grimacing::weary:

@nicd i hope your ok? Itā€™s so strange how our emotions just present ā€¦ roll with it and enjoy your walk :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Take care everyone :two_hearts::two_hearts:

4 Likes

Well done @charlie22 itā€™s an amazing feeling :bell: and emotional too. Now rest that body. Love your skirt btw.

2 Likes

@charlie22 Iā€™d not heard about Bertha. Look forward to seeing your pic :laughing: Great photos and congrats on finishing.x

1 Like

Well done @charlie22 YOU DID IT!! I am now extremely jealous of your cakeā€¦ need to hunt out the equivalent down here on the south coast. Half term next week and I am sooo looking forward to a few days away with lots of cafes and restaurants and ALCOHOLā€¦ YES, I am going to indulge in everything for the week!!!

Iā€™m all up and down this week ā€¦ like you @nicd I seem to have been crying more this weekā€¦ not sure why! Maybe itā€™s that classic ā€˜downā€™ after the euphoria of finishing chemo or maybe itā€™s the fact that everyone, including hubby and kids seem to have forgotten what Iā€™ve just been throughā€¦ not sure. Iā€™m going with it ā€¦ but really want to move towards more contentment. Maybe that takes timeā€¦ ahhhā€¦

Iā€™ve been doing some stretching as I played a friendly short game of netball this week and omg, I was stiff as anything. I feel like I need to throw wd40 all over myself. Even yoga seems too much at the moment as I donā€™t think Iā€™d be able to get up and down that much!! Again, this will take timeā€¦ arrghhhhhā€¦

@sarahw6 I donā€™t really understand what happens after chemo with regards to periods/menopause. Some women go back to having periods again but depending on your age, it might be permanent menopause. I was right in the middle, happily taking HRT so this is all an adjustment. Maybe thatā€™s affecting my mood tooā€¦ no oestrogen = moodiness!!! Will talk to my onc in a few weeks when we discuss tax medication etcā€¦

Anyone else had their flu/covid jabs? Do we have to have these forever now do you think or is it just this year? Not sure Iā€™m up for always being in that ā€˜vulnerableā€™ group!!!

Happy days team June xx

@jojoh fab news on the shrinkage!!!
@charlie22 fab pics and so glad youā€™re through and being kind to yourself. IMO, yoga is good for increasing flexibility, being mindful/meditative amd pilates for strength building and coreā€¦both are great and low impact. A lot will depend on the teacher/class and what you enjoy.
I thoroughly recommend reformer pilates. Im not quite up to it yet, but cant wait to get back to it!
@donna_51 def an emotional dayā€¦and am trying to ride ot out and be gentler/kinder to myself. I keep getting so frustrated at my limitations/tiredness, but i know im only a month post chemo, logically i know all this and how to take care of myself emotionally and physically, but just cant help how you feel and when those tears want to fallā€¦
My lovely neighbours told me crying is healing and good for usā€¦ill take that right now!

Happy healing!!! x

Ps @donna_51 , ive been having a glass of wine or two here or there when ive fancied itā€¦
Enjoy!!

Also, im not having any covid or flu jabs, vulnerable or not i just dont want them personallyā€¦

OMG Get Baked looks amazing, thank you for bringing that to our attention @charlie22 and huge congrats on ringing that bell and completing your chemo.
I think Iā€™ll be placing an order to celebrate being done in two weeks time.

I was asking my oncologist about my period having stopped and if that meant I was in menopause on Tuesday and he couldnā€™t really give me an answerā€¦he said they may start again, weā€™ll see! Helpful!

@donna_51 I also asked him if I should have the Covid and flu jabs, given Iā€™m coming to the end of treatmentā€¦.I said to him that I probably wouldnā€™t have had either if I wasnā€™t having chemo, and as Iā€™m coming to an end asked if there any point in having them & asked what would he do if he was me. He didnā€™t want to tell me what to do, but in a very circular way he did say he didnā€™t disagree with my opinion-so Iā€™m probably not going to have them. But each to their own!

@jojoh good news about the shrinkage.
Iā€™m off for an MRI tomorrow to see how my tumour has reacted to the chemo, to help with the surgery planning, although i wonā€™t get my results until 5th November so will be having to wait patientlyā€¦
I hate the thought of having to lie face down with my boobs in the holes for 45 minutes with all that clanging going on, so glad they only arranged it today so I donā€™t have to dwell on it for too long!

Hope your day got better as it went on @nicd

Hope everyone else is doing ok :two_hearts: