Looking to find like minded BC sufferers

Well like a lot of you I’ve never been on a forum before but then I’ve never had cancer before either.
It’s taken me a while to actually post on here because it makes it all a bit more real so far I’ve coped my making jokes about my predicament (already in an inside joke as my partner can’t bring himself to say Cancer).
As you can see from my username I’m trying to make light of a bad situation - when I first saw my scan I said it looked like a cluster of pretty stars and my friend said I’ll call you twinkle tits!
I’m really looking for support on here from other people with a good sense of humour. I have lots of great friends and a supportive partner and 2 beautiful daughters but I don’t want to give them the extra burden of coping with my lows but I like talking things out.
I’m sorry all you guys are also going through this but grateful for the forum to show I’m not alone in this.
I look forward to chatting with you online.

25 Likes

Hi twinkletits
I know just what you mean about accepting what is happening to your own body, as you can see from my user name. From my post mastectomy pathology report my tumours were also growing in a star shape. I did ask to see a scan but haven’t seen any yet. Plenty more appointments coming up so I’ll try again.
There is lots of support and practical tips from everyone’s personal experiences. You only need to ask x

3 Likes

Well that made me chuckle for a start when it says Hi Twinkletits - but as you know one minute we are laughing the next we are crying.
Thanks for replying as you’re further along do you feel like you have the end in sight? And that you’ll be able to commence your new normal life?
X

2 Likes

Hi Twinkletits

You don’t say in your first post whereabouts you are with regards to treatment. Are you fairly newly diagnosed?

I had a diagnosis of DCIS back in 2020 resulting in a mastectomy. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with DCIS and some invasive cells in the other breast. So far I’ve had surgery and three out of four chemotherapy sessions. Thankfully I’ve remained fairly well throughout treatment. All along I’ve tried to maintain a positive outlook and have a joke where possible. It doesn’t mean that there haven’t been low points or worrying times, but in general I think having a mindset of “this is happening so let’s crack on” is helping me get through it all.

There is lots of good advice available on here, and people who will help you with advice or a space to moan/vent if you need to.

5 Likes

Thanks- I was only diagnosed a couple of weeks ago - grade 2 lobular breast cancer - ignorance was bliss up till this point as I didn’t even know there were different types of breast cancer … I’m still waiting for my MRI and a full body CT scan to rule out anything else and to find out how far it’s spread. I don’t like waiting and everything is happening pretty quickly but as you know it feels like forever when it’s you especially at 2am and then again at 3am….
It’s great to hear that you didn’t feel too ill with the Chemo as I assumed that everyone feels pants with it so that’s already a glimmer of hope.
But seems so unfair you’ve had to go through it twice - I’m 51 I should have learnt by now life isn’t fair!!

2 Likes

Sadly I’ve a way to go yet. I’ve had the 1st of 6 three weekly chemo sessions. Then expecting radiotherapy after that. Then I can think about having a new boob constructed.
It was very scary back in the late summer/early autumn, but now I’m out of the blocks I feel a little more in control.
As far as my 1st chemo I was able to function fairly normally for a couple of days. Then it hit me like a train and I refused to do anything for 2 days. Gradually improved afer that. But now I know what to expect and when though rough days will probably increase, so I can work the important things around them.

1 Like

Hey, it’s my first time having cancer to.
Everyone around me are ok talking about it with met I’m like you they are very sad and get emotional but I’m like if i don’t laugh then I will cry to.
So many people out there in a worse place so I feel lucky.
It’s good to laugh and joke when you are going through something so serious…I will happily laugh with you…:joy:

3 Likes

Hello @twinkletits

Welcome to the forums and what we like to call the club no-one wants to join

You will find lots of lovely ladies (and men!) in breast cancer world who are more than happy to share the laughs (but also the tears!) with you.

I think it’s fair to say that until it happens to you it’s very hard to know or what it’s like to receive a cancer diagnosis, and I think we all have some pre-conceived ideas but chances are it isn’t what you imagined (for better or worse!)

Personally every person I’ve met in breast cancer world has just been so lovely and kind, and it’s restored my faith in human nature.

You will get through this, and we are all here for you for whatever support and laughs you need

AM xxx

PS I know that it’s very hard and scary for many partners to watch their loved ones go through cancer treatment and it’s easy for friends and family to focus support on the patient and forget the impact on those we love.
My husband found his sister phoning him and asking “how are you?” so helpful to him (her husband was previously in intensive care with Covid and she knew how it felt). Cancer support through BCN Maggie’s and MacMillan is available for everyone who is affected not just the patient, but sometimes just a friend who wants to talk “normal” things is just as helpful

3 Likes

Hi @twinkletits

Love the username ! I called myself @naughty_boob but really have two as I had a tumour in both breasts.

The forum is a great place to talk, vent and ask questions. So many lovely people that can make you laugh, give advice or just be there for you.

Welcome to the forum🥰 you can ask question to breast cancer now nurses or call if you need.

I was diagnosed in May 2023, lumpectomy July and just finished 12 weeks of chemotherapy Paclitaxel. Radiotherapy in the new year with Letrozole. As I’m HER+ I’m also having 3 weekly Herceptin injections…

1 Like

So one for the humour: because I had chemo first, they put a flag into my tumour early on. Then before surgery they inserted a magseed to assist the surgeon, but it didn’t end up in the right place. On the day of surgery, they added a guide wire for the surgeon to use instead of the magseed. I’d had a good response to chemo, so I reckon by the time surgery happened it was less about removing the cancer and more about the NHS needing to reclaim the mass of kit that was building up in my boob!

It was my first ever general anaesthetic and the nosey control freak in me is still a bit disappointed I missed out on the conversation as everything was being removed. Is that weird?

4 Likes

GOODMORNING Twinkletits
Sending lots of love an positive vibes chin up hun an stay strong , I’m Breast her2 positive, my hubby dose not speak the word :rage: calls it bastard quite often :rofl: sorry for language his not mine :crazy_face: well her we are in a club no one wishes to be in yet there are thousands of members, we make the best of our situation because we have no choice, ahhh but WE DO
I chose to shave of my beautiful long dark hair, I took control
To look like eagle eyed action man from the 80s :crazy_face:hair grew my hubby called me Dennis the menace for a few weeks then moved forward with Ken Dodds twin sister ( the cheeky sod)
I’m now looking better an actually feeling better (still get tired) but I’m much kinder to myself hence I don’t do WINDOWS, POTS, BUSES, IRONING OR EMPTY BINS :rofl::rofl::rofl: keep your chin up my lovely an be extra kind to yourself an most of all keep talking it definitely helped me I’ve made some amazing friends whom completely understand as they’re in similar situations, join the moving forward groups an please speak to counselling , I never thought I’d need it but she was brilliant an we laughed hysterically an swore a lot in private, I’m sheffield area , not sure where your based :heart: Take care twinkletits XX

4 Likes

Hi,
I have a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour about all this, I have my ups and downs like anyone but seeing the ‘funny side’ if that’s the right word certainly helps some days. I too have lobular cancer in one breast and had a mastectomy in August this year. My partner has been very supportive but it’s still the elephant in the room!
I am currently on round 3 of 6 having chemo and then I will have radiotherapy followed by the other boob removed and ovaries later on due to a discovered gene mutation! This is the gift that keeps on giving! Hope you are coping as well as can be and I have found this forum very helpful for support and advice right from the beginning! X x

2 Likes

Hi, humour is great as for naming our inners, when i had my Ecocardigram i thought my heart looked like two boxing hares. I named my lump luigi. And when my hair grew stronger and coarser Another friend called it ‘fright wig’, so unexpected of this quiet person she thought she knew.
But we grow stronger because we adapt and have each other to help us through the hard times. i was advised to focus on Wimbledon which was at the end of my treatment, and yes the year stretched out seemd much longer than it actually was.
Find what makes you smile, find fun and share.
I wish you all a wonderful Christmas, as i now focus on my partner going back for treatment, and results before the new year, with bladder C. X x X

2 Likes

It goes on so long doesn’t it - I assumed it would all be over by my birthday in February - very naive. It is a steep learning curve.

I hope you didn’t feel shit after your chemo and it is good to know that you start to feel like you have a bit of control when you get a plan. x

2 Likes

Hi - great we can get through this together (Obviously not great youv’ve got it!!) - cancer is so common now!!
I haven’t worked out what is worse yet people being upset (and you have to be strong for them) or people saying well we don’t have to talk about it (as if then I can forget it is happening) or people saying have Kale Smoothies!!! I have worked out though that it isn’t really them as they are only trying to help.

I think that is the British way isn’t it - it could be worse - when I first got told all I could think is I don’t want to look lopsided and now I am thinking if all they do it take a tit bring it on!!

Keep laughing x

3 Likes

Thank you adoptedmanc,

As long as I don’t get kicked out of Cancer Club for saying the wrong thing it will be fine.

It is hard watching your loved ones go through it as well and them feeling guilty that they are having fun at their Christmas Party.

I did say to my partner have you got upset at all (because he just seemed to be taking it all in his stride) and his face just crumbled - oops - I didn’t mean to set him off and open the floodgatesbut when he replied he has to be strong for me I said it is a fine balance between helping me and looking after himself - Still a bit of me thought thank god he does care then!! x

3 Likes

Hi Naughty-boob (S)

Love the name and I can just picture you telling your boobs off!

It is weird how you soon learn the Cancer language…

2024 will be your year x

Hi Suedot,

Beautifully weird I would say lol - did you ask if they recycled all the wires?

x

1 Like

Hi Nikks,

You sound amazing - I am so not pretty enough to shave off my hair - my 22 year old daughter said if it comes to that I will do it with you and I said NO WAY as you’ll still look gorgeous and make me look even worse! - I need to learn how to bring up the emojis on my laptop.

Your hubby sounds lucky to not have a black eye or two - Ken Doods twin sister lol I am sharing that with my partner as he will be using it!!

Glad to hear you have started feeling a bit better - and yes I have already changed my outlook on life of - no I don’t want to do that.

Unfortunately I am down South.

Have a great Christmas x

2 Likes

Hi Tabby-Lou,

Thanks for sharing - Lobular (or Lobster as my brain wants to say) cancer as I have just discovered only accounts for 15% of breast cancers - so I am not as common as I first thought!!

And yes I also got told yesterday that when I finally have my CT scan they may discover all sorts of stuff as you say the gift that keeps on giving!

x

1 Like