Mastectomy with implant and reduction

Hi Everyone, I am recently diagnosed with Er/pr+ Her2- grade 2 ductal cancer. I have growths measuring 5.2cm in total and additional small nodules which are suspicious of cancer. The mri and ultrasound show no lymph node involvement. This means I need a full mastectomy skin sparing with lymph node removal (3) for investigation and implant with reconstruction the other side. There will be 2 surgeons, one on each breast. I’m just a bit scared about the surgery. I’d like some advise from others who have gone through this and what advice I can get? I want to be in the best place I can to get ready for surgery on 6/3. Thank you :pray: xx

2 Likes

Hi. Sorry to hear that you have to go through such an ordeal but it really isn’t as bad as we fear. I was diagnosed with LBC, no lymph node involvement May 2023 and had a mastectomy with reconstructive surgery and a reduction on the other side a few weeks later. Like you 2 surgeons involved. 1 breast surgeon and 1 plastic surgeon who were just amazing. Operation took around 4.5 hours and I had a vacuum type dressing on for 8 days afterwards but recovered very quickly and had no problems. In fact now have a much better size of boobs :joy:. Good luck and please let us know how you get on xx

2 Likes

Hi Kizr,

So sorry to hear your news. I’m new to this forum but in a similar position to you. I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS and Grade II IDC, ER+ HER2-. Mastectomy on left (no reconstruction) & lumpectomy/mammoplasty on right. Surgery booked for 2 weeks time. My breast care team have been wonderful and the Macmillan team have been invaluable with the constant mental struggle. There are so many women on this forum who are going through the same thing, its sad but comforting to know you’re not alone. I hope your surgery goes well & you get the next set of answers quickly. X x

1 Like

Hi @kizr,

We’re really sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but we’re so glad you have found the forum as it really can be such a great means of support.

We’ll be with you every step of the way and we’re sending all of our best for your surgery :heart:

1 Like

Wow you sound like you sailed through it! I wish I could be so confident. I am absolutely terrified. I am overweight too so scared about the anaesthetic. I just want this to be over. Did you have to have any treatment after? Thank you for replying xx

1 Like

So sorry to hear your news too. You must be a few days ahead of me for surgery. How are you feeling about it? Good luck xxx

Thank you so much! :sparkling_heart:

Not sure it’s quite sunk in yet, and the waiting is so difficult. Just trying to stay positive but its hard isn’t it. It’s normal to be terrified, im with you on that. My BCN said they can give you something to help calm things before the surgery, maybe that would help? X

2 Likes

Like you I was terrified of having general anaesthetic. Being a nurse and overweight I knew all the risks. The theatre staff were absolutely amazing and wiped my tears when I got on the theatre bed, telling me they would look after me which meant a lot. Next thing I knew I was awake and the cancer had been cut out. All I felt was relief. I didn’t need chemo as my oncotype score was very low at 3 but did have 5 doses of radiotherapy with no real side effects. The worst bit about that was the 90 journey to the hospital and back as not available at my local hospital. Emotionally at times I have struggled but that seems to be very common in the first year so a good shoulder to cry on is always helpful. I would recommend doing the moving forward course after treatment. That was good to speak to other ladies. I was back at clinic yesterday as developed pain but scan showed it was just a seroma which the consultant drained so all good again. I just kept telling myself that I wasn’t going to let breast cancer beat me so I had to try and be as positive as possible. Good luck and if you have any more questions I am happy to share my experiences xxx

1 Like

Hi Kzir,

Sorry to hear you are going through this situation.
I wish you all the very best for your surgery and treatment.
You will make it through, you have support, and make sure you make the most of the support you can access.
Take care of you.
Anjuli :pray:

1 Like

HI,
Just to say I am in a really similar position to you. I have 10cm area of DCIS in one breast which was found when I identified lump in the other and they also found 2 other suspicious areas, so I am ending up having double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with implants 2 weeks today. I’m terrified. But I have to say that the waiting for all the diagnosis was almost worse than the knowledge that I have to go through this. The breast nurses have been amazing.
Thinking of you. x

1 Like

Thanks for this reassurance.x

1 Like

I had the same type of cancer, but grade 3 and 2 lymph nodes involved. Had the exact same surgery except full lymph node clearance. It’s a long surgery but they will have you up and about fairly quickly. My practical advice: The heart shaped cushion for under your arm is a godsend, worth getting, lots on Etsy. Also you can get a cushion for the seatbelt in the car so it cushions your chest. I also used it for the canvas cross body bag I used for carrying the surgical drains around. For surgical bras they gave me the Theya but I switched to macom as I found the longer length didn’t rub as much. A good scar gel/serum ie; boots or dermatix and bio oil. When you move on from surgical bras the M&S crop tops are really good.
I know it’s scary but it wasn’t as horrible as I imagined and it’s such a relief to know the cancer is gone. It didn’t look as bad as I thought and I love having smaller boobs :blush: Remember it’s a process and cosmetically it can be improved over time. If you want to speak to someone I can recommend the Someone Like Me service. They will arrange a phone call with someone who has been through the same surgery and treatment. I wish you all the best with it. Cx

2 Likes

Thanks for all this reassurance and advices. I am just wondering about the heart shaped cushions- aren’t they for use in the car too?

So ladies I am 2 days post op. I’m not feeling too bad. My mastectomy boob and implant feel quite small but my own breast is looking the same so symmetrical at least. I haven’t needed the heart pillow I’ve been moving my arms ok. My surgeon did the lymph node biopsy through my mastectomy incision. All that worry about surgery and it was ok. My son passed his driving test today. A testament that life goes on. We are all amazing and I wish you all love on today international women’s day. Go us! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

It sounds like you are all good. :slight_smile:
I am going to have a mastectomy and implant reconstruction soon, so I was searching about it. I am terrified too at the moment and worried about what’s going to be like after the operation.
But your last comment comforts me.
Is there anything I need to know/prepare before operation?
Hope you recover well :pray:

1 Like

Well done kizr! We made it! I agree, it was not as bad as I expected. It’s such a relief to have it over as I think the preparation is worse- I was a wreck the day before. There is quite a lot of swelling and I do feel quite ‘tight’ and that is mixed with a numbness which is an odd sensation, but the pain hasn’t been too bad and has been controllable with paracetamol and ibuprofen only. I think the thing that I found most difficult was trying to get up off the bed from lying down and sometimes off the sofa- I needed help for the first few days. (but mine was bilateral)

My implants have been really successful. One of them is not quite aligned but apparently should sort itself out or can be sorted out easily with a ‘fat injection’! I do feel a bit like Pamela Anderson at the moment as although they assure me they are not bigger, I think until they settle, they feel quite pert and the swelling makes them seem bigger.

I also had sentinel lymph nodes removed and so now waiting on pathology to see if any further treatment is needed. The drains that I have had fitted haven’t been too bad and I’ve amazed myself with how unsqueamish I’ve managed to be. Apparently they will take them out after one week although they initially said 2. They also told me I’d be in hospital overnight, but I was discharged on the day of the operation which was a bit of a surprise.

Yesterday, I celebrated my 50th birthday with my mum, husband and daughter 4 days after the op which was surreal. I got special permission to have 1 or 2 glasses of prosecco! Life goes on indeed!

Good luck with your surgery aen12- you’ll be on the other side soon!

1 Like

I used the Marks and Spencer post surgery front fastening bra. I had to go up a size in girth and cup. The doctors keep admiring the bra and saying how perfect it’s been- it’s been fine so far and nice and supportive. Also, I used arnica pre and post op to help with the swelling which has not been too bad maybe as a result of the arnica. It might be worth checking with your doctor though as some find it controversial! Good luck! xx

1 Like

Thank you so much. Very helpful.
Hope you recover quickly and all goes well for you.

1 Like

Hi are you getting on? Have you had your surgery yet? Or do you have a date? All I can say is follow your body. You will know what’s right for you, you will also know if you have overdone it. Stay positive is my best advise :heart: