Newly Diagnoses

Hello I would love to meet like people who are just beginning the journey that no one wants to be on! I was just diagnosed with TNbC stage 2b. Ultrasound showed no lymph node but having an MRI to confirm as breast surgeon wants to do lumpectomy next week. My tumor is 2.1 cm. I have my first appt with oncologist next week.

Just feeling like I’m in a bad dream. At 63 and just retired to start enjoying my free time. This wasn’t in the plan for fun things to do!

Would love a friend to talk with and share my fears. Thanks.

5 Likes

So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I also have TNBC. So any questions feel free. There is also a UK TNBC Group which I’ve found helpful. Its on facebook.

3 Likes

Hello Rachel. Thanks for responding! You look beautiful at 60! I know I’m not suppose to google but I’m a researcher at heart - but everything seems so doom and gloom. I’m just at the starting line and scared to death.

2 Likes

Hi tammyjo
Have been where you are now, does feel like a bad dream doesn’t it. I got mine on my 60th, last year & i too had given up work. I remember waking up in the mornings & punching my pillow, saying why is this happening to me. You will get through it all & like myself will look back & not believe it. Any queries or fears just ask on here, everyone is so helpful. x

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I love hearing from others who are thriving and doing well. Sure hope you are doing well! I had my MRI last night as my surgeon is wanting to confirm not in my lymph nodes because If not she wants to hurry and do my lumpectomy next week. It’s all so fast. I guess I fear the chemo the most and hope that I can tolerate it. My body freaks out with any type of drug being put into it. And knowing it’s my only option to stay alive brings me so much fear. I read chemo ages you 20+ years. I’m not ready to be 80!

1 Like

You’ll be fine. It’s the unknown, when you’ve had your first lot of chemo you’ll know what to expect. Take the anti-sickness tablets, i did & didn’t feel sick at all. I felt tired & the only side effect i had was my skin hurt & felt sensitive to touch, but that only lasted 2 days. You’ll get to see the same faces too, which is good. Like i say, i’m a year in & feeling so much better. At the end of the day, it affects everyone differently. Like i say, you’ll be fine, if i can do it, so can you. x

1 Like

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis @tammyjo although I am glad that you have reached out here.

Welcome to the forum. It is full of kind, helpful people like those who have already replied here, and I hope you find the support you are looking for.

Please know that our nurses are here for you any time, here on the forum on the Ask our Nurses your questions or over the phone 0808 800 6000.

Thinking of you,
Lucy

1 Like

Hi Tammyjo, I’m the same as you, tnbc one lump stage 2, no lymph nodes involved from MRI. 61, retired a year ago and can’t believe this is happening, having regular meltdowns, but getting through it.
My lumpectomy will be after chemo. I’m now on week 11 of 12 pacitaxel. Followed by 4 EC. You’ll probably be on a different regime if your op is first. Great to hear from others with tnbc doing well further along from us, thanks for letting us know ladies x

1 Like

I had my MRI yesterday so anxiously awaiting the results. Those results will determine if they want to do lumpectomy first or after chemo. Do you mind me asking how big your lump was? I’m confused as to why some do chemo first or surgery first. My lump is 2.1 cm. Btw - I love your user name “little owl”.

1 Like

Happy to share with all the lovely ladies in here :slightly_smiling_face:. It was 2.4 from the mammogram in December. Bigger from the MRI in January, but I had to wait 4 weeks for the MRI and start of chemo so it grew in between. Had a check at week 8 of chemo and it had shrunk to 7mm with the chemo so far. Good luck with your MRI results x

1 Like

Congrats on in shrinking to 7mm! So now I won’t be surprised if I hear mine has grown and they want to so chemo first. Since ours is very close in size. My mammo was on 2/29 and my MRI was on 3/20. So about 3 weeks.

1 Like

I really hated the fact that they didn’t operate before chemo, it really messed with my head over Christmas. Hated the fact the cancer was still growing. But my consultant explained the long term benefits of seeing how the chemo worked on the tumour. I’m sure they’ll advise on the right treatment path for you. Once you know join the chemo monthly tread for when you start. I’ve found it invaluable, these forums are amazing for getting support x

1 Like

MRI on 3/20 results came back lymph node clear! Even though my ultrasound said the same, I felt it was a big win! I met with my breast surgeon on 3/18 and have my first meeting with my oncologist on 3/27 - they have been talking and decided surgery first - and it is now set for 3/29! Things are moving fast!

It makes sense why your doctors waited - to see if the meds were working to shrink the tumor. And definitely looks like they are working!! So awesome! Now I worry how will they know if the meds are working for me? Starting to make my list of questions for my first meeting with the oncologist. I know he will prob be ordering other baseline tests before I get to start chemo. So much worry on if they find anything else?

Happy Friday Ladies!

Thank you for the vote of reassurance! You say you are a year in? Are you finished with your treatments? I haven’t even begun to fight and im hoping I have the fight in me. I have never been a good sick person. :-(.

Hi tammyjo.
Yep, i’m a year in, all treatments done, just had the first of my 6 monthly infusions, next one Sept.
You will have the fight, you’ll surprise yourself.
I’m not good as a sick person either, i never really had proper surgery until all this & wham !! all in one swoop.
You just got to keep thinking it’s all for the good & you will come out the other end.
You’ll even feel proud of yourself.
YOU CAN DO THIS !! x

Thank you so much. That made me cry. However I feel like I’m crying all the time these days. Even over happy things. The only surgery I have ever had before is a c section. And that resulted in a healthy baby! Of course 35 years ago.

You are a champion! I hope I’m like you.

Hi, I’ve been diagnosed last month. I also need someone who I can talk to. Tomorrow it’s my first chemo. I’m terrified.

1 Like

I’m so sorry this is happening to you lu1, chemo is terrifying, I felt the same. I’ve had 13/16 now and you can get through it. The nurses will help you and make sure you are ok. Which one are you having? Make sure you take all the anti sickness meds they give you and drink loads of water to flush everything through your body. Have you got your bag ready, are you cold capping? I’ve found the triple negative Facebook group really amazing for finding out more about tnbc and meeting others for support, plus the chemo threads on here. Hugs for tomorrow x

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your message little_owl. I’m going to have Paclitaxel, EC and Carboplatin tomorrow. It will be 8 cycles. My oncologist asked me today come and speak about my MRI scan. I am so scared have more bad news. I don’t like when they ask to come for a chat. It’s always something bad. I’ve got some bits read for tomorrow. Warm sock, books, charge. Drinking water will be a issue for me, I never drink a lot. How is for you going through? How do you feel?

Hope your chat with your oncologist goes ok. With a tnbc journey at the beginning it does feel as though it’s horrific news followed by more horrific news, I also dreaded what I was being told next. Toughed time of my life for sure, until the treatment plan was sorted out. Try to keep in mind, difficult I know, but they’re just making sure the treatment is the right one for you. Your thoughts will settle once you get started. Up to now my treatment is going well, I had 11/12 pacitaxel and carbo first, it got reduced from 9 as I started to get peripheral neuropathy, thankfully that resolved it’s ok ATM. I got checked halfway through and there’s good shrinkage on the lump so far. Just recovering after my first EC, which was a tough few days, but I’m feeling almost human again today :slightly_smiling_face:.