October 2023 chemo starters

It’s happened to me recently week 2 after EC round, the hospital was awesome at sorting me out. Did 11 weekly chemo a break at Christmas and then started first EC on 2nd Jan plus carried w pembro and GCSE injections.
It sounds more terrifying than it is as long as you’re treated for it ASAP . You should get your temperature every day and maybe twice a day. That’s the 4 months of data that saved me knowing something wasn’t quite right me because I am like clockwork at 36.2/36.4 occasionally and at 36.9 (not officially temperature) I yet still knew something wasn’t quite right. Two paracetamol later I was 37.1 so defo a free trip to A&E was necessary :joy:

Going for 2nd EC tomorrow hopefully all goes well. You’re body is a wonderful thing. I am asking one to work wonder tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

Take care and hope you’re all recovered! Make sure to have a celebratory dance!!!

2 Likes

Thanks all, I had the second round of docetaxyl yesterday so am at the ready temperature checking to make sure I get it early this time! I have a small uti which I am picking antibiotics for today as they said that could trigger the neutropenia again so here’s hoping it doesn’t!!! And if it does a daytime admission would be preferable to 3am :rofl:
Hope you are all doing well, I guess we are all coming to the end of chemo over the next few weeks? X x

2 Likes

I had a small UTI at beginning of cycle of chemo which felt like insult to injury on top of it all!! Drink plenty rest, eat small and often, and hopefully that will go away and no neutropenia!!
Am back for treatment today after 4 weeks off. Shock to the system to say the least!!

2 Likes

Wishing you all the best! Is that more chemo or onto something else?
I have radiotherapy scheduled to take place after a chemo break and am hoping they don’t say….more chemo first! :scream:

1 Like

So am triple negative, I’ve had 12 weekly chemo before Christmas and now ECx 4. Done two, second one today. Then op then radiotherathy. Then hopefully if all goes well I carry on with immunotherapy Pembro for another 8 months every 3 weeks

3 Likes

Wishing you all the best with your treatment xx

1 Like

I had my Herceptin injection last week at home. It was done by a nurse from a company called Sciensus. Their paperwork says it will mostly be the same nurse, but she said probably not, not will it always be at the same time of day. Shame on both counts, because I liked here and the appointment was during my lunch break from work.

Anyway this week I haven’t had the usual aching joints. So that’s one good thing. However I have been quite itchy. I thought it was just dry skin, but there are one or two spotty patches, so I am trying to decide what to do about it.

I have an appointment next week to see my surgeon to get him to look at the eczema on my aureola. Sometimes it nearly clears up and other times it is really itchy and a bit weepy. I just want to make sure there is nothing more sinister going on.

1 Like

Hi @scientistamafier. It must be a relief to have your first Herceptin over and done. Hope you get some answers about the itching . There’s so much to look out for isn’t there?

Thanks. It wasn’t my first Herceptin, I have been having it alongside my chemo in the hospital, but chemo has now finished. It was just the first time at home. The nurse seemed nice, there is just no guarantee it will be the same nurse again. Plus they will only message the day before with the appointment time. Slightly annoying for me as the next one is during half term so I won’t be able to plan anything for that day.

Hope everyone else is getting along ok.

1 Like

I saw the surgeon who did my lumpectomy today so he could check the area of eczema I have. He is pretty certain it is only eczema but took two samples via punch biopsy just to be sure. I should get a phone call with the results next Thursday.

I also found a lump in my armpit (other side) right on the skin surface really. He said this is some kind of cyst, so now I need to work out how to clear it.

In other news the hair loss clinic called. The wig I ordered back in December has been discontinued. Good job I only wanted it for “fun”. I might try a shop in the nearby city that I just heard about.

2 Likes

Sorry you have these things to deal with. We hope to be able to get on after treatment without these other things cropping up. Hope all well with the results next week . Have they suggested how you get rid of the cyst. I had a cyst burst by the radiographer when he did my biopsy originally.

What a palaver about the wig! Hope you get another sorted soon. I got one just after Christmas and thought I wouldnt use it much but actually I’ve found I quite like wearing it where no one knows me, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Unfortunately the doctor didn’t say what to do about the cyst. I have had what was probably a cyst in this armpit a few times over the years. Previously though it has always been more like an open pore and has cleared up by itself. This time it is completely underneath the skin.
I am thinking about going to the GP as I am off work next week.

1 Like

A letter came from the hospital today. The area is definitely eczema not anything more sinister. So hydrocortisone cream and possibly a different body wash. So that’s one less worry.

2 Likes

Those who have lost eyelashes. Is there anything I should watch out for? Anything I could buy to keep my eyes healthy?

One eye is just generally thinner lashes across both lids, the other is going bald top and bottom, starting at the outer edge.

1 Like

Not pleasant @scientistamafier to have eczema but glad it’s not more serious.

I use tea tree eyelid wipes for my eyes . Also I have a warm eye mask that heats up in the microwave - it releases impurities and cleans the eyes. It’s very soothing to use too as you sit for 10-15 minutes with your eyes closed as it’s quite relaxing :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips @copperycat. I think I have an eye mask in the bag of goodies I had from my Morris dancing group. I shall go and rummage.

2 Likes

Visceral tears can help a lot of us used those during chemo might be worth a try :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Thanks Shi. My eyes don’t feel too bad at the moment, but I will call the chemo suite and ask about something if I feel they are getting dry

1 Like

Hiya @scientistamafier definitely use viscotears, or hycosan if your eyes get dry. I suffered from blepharitis and it came back during chemo. Optase heat mask really help, it’s like a soothing heat mask for your eyes, bliss :heart_eyes: try to keep your eyes clean and careful when you using your hands and washing your face etc… I worked w horses and the dust was a nightmare for me. Eyelashes do grow back pretty quickly, 2/3 weeks maybe post chemo (mine started growing back during chemo :woman_shrugging:t3:)
Then for regrowth everyone I talked to swore by UK eyelash serum. I am not very good at using it every night :sweat_smile: but I have noticed a difference xxx

2 Likes

Don’t forget to get putting mascara on as they grow back it helps train the lashes to curl rather than grow straight out :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes