Periods after chemo? Did they return and when?

Bumping up for Mandy x

Hi diagnosed at 45
periods regular till then
5 rounds of FEC-T
Periods stopped after 2 Chemos (along with hair)
After chemo, hormone tested and was told I was in menopause
Taking arimidex
No sign of periods (been 2.5 years now) but get stabbing ovary pain occasionally and remaining breast achy feeling sometimes
Was told my periods would not come back

I was 42 when had my chemo (FAC 6x), for 2 years I was on zoladex and for 5 years will be on tamoxifen (2,5 years left to have tamoxifen) My periods never stoped. Now I am 45. Everybody is very different.

Hi All, following my earlier post, I can now announce that I am happily pregnant. Please, anyone in a similar position who may have fears about chemo affecting their fertility, know that this is not always the case, and that there is hope for fertility after aggressive treatment and chemo for breast cancer. Best wishes to you all, :slight_smile:

Awwww what lovely news! Huge congratulations to you! Keep is posted on the little bump xx

Hi.

I was 35 when diagnosed 36 when I finished 3 x fec and 3 x docetaxel

My periods came back today, 7 months after my last docetaxel and probably approx 6 months after the chemo left my system. My periods stopped half way through chemo just after the start of docetaxel.

FYI I saw a fertility doc and she said that immature eggs stored deep in your ovaries take 6-9 months to develop and mature at which point they get to the surface of your ovaries. Then they are released, and soon after that you will have a period. She said the developing ones are likely to get damaged by the chemo. Therefore, if all of the developing ones are damaged, it will take 6-9 months after the chemo drugs are out of your system (at least) before any new ones develop and come to the surface. She was exactly right in my case.

So after 2.5 yrs ofnot having a period, mine returned today. Is this normal? Should I be concerned after it being so long? Im not sure what to think about this. I thought I was done. My doctor did tell me that it may or may not return.

Hi girls!!!

i was DG in january 2014 at 36, had 8 cycles of chemo FEC and TAXOTERE;

My period stopped after the second chemo, and still not back :frowning:

i finished chemo in september 2014 so, i’m in chemenopause for 13 Months post chemo …

is there , any one, in the same situation?

did any one, get periods a long time after finished chemo ???

i have no children, and i mariied juste before the diagnose ;( 

i m taking tamoxifen …  and i’am no 37 ;

hope to have some answers

Nath 

Hi! I am 35 years old and an AML (Acute myeloid Leukemia) survivor. I was also pregnant at the time. She is healthy and now 4 years old. I have had chemo and a bone marrow transplant. It’s bone 4 years since transplant, pregnancy and chemotherapy. I thought for sure I was infertile. My periods still haven’t returned but I just had my firat signs of very fertile ovulation. But still no period. Confusing if u ask me. Lol. BUT my message to u is there is always hope. Never give up in what u want or believe is right for u. Good luck and many blessings.

Thank u for sharing your story and giving hope to those who have gone through chemo and cancer. It’s been 4 years since my bone marrow transplant and last period. Two weeks ago out of nowhere, I showed signs of ovulation and like 4-5 days later, just some light pink mucus discharge. Still no period but symptoms of either possible period or possible pregnancy. Can this happen?

And if so, could I this b implantation bleeding? Tests still negative.

i did recieve a cycle afterwards. after i stopped chemo my period came once every 3-5 months. after 2 years it became regular (28 day cycle). i did a video on my journey please check it out:  youtu.be/d13g9Wky4us

Thank u for sharing your beautiful story.

Hello ladies

I’m 36, have been through FEC-T (with Heceptin) and surgery (starting radiotherapy on Monday). I had my last period in December (at that point around the 4th or 5th chemo session), then they stopped. I started again last week and it’s been extremely heavy. Extremely. It’s now also in it’s ninth day. I spoke to one of the Breast Cancer Care workers the other day and she said that the first period back can be heavy, but - as it’s Saturday! - was wondering if anyone has experienced the same, before I can get the GP on Monday?

Hello,

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 31. Started chemo and my periods stopped straight away. Chemo started mid 2013 and ended late 2014. Throughout the treatment i also had a double mastectomy and an axillary clearance. Got my first period after chemo 1.5 years after my last treatment. It seemed fairly normal. Experienced period pain for a few days before hand. Unfortunately its been 2 months since my first period and i havent had one since. Im hoping that its just my body slowly returning back to normal. Im now 34. Overly excited to even have a period as i had dealt with early menopause and the possibility of not having children. Im hoping that due to having my first period that i now have the chance to have my own family.
To all you ladies out there i wish you all the very best that life has to offer. Sending all my strength and love.
Claudia xxxx

Diagnosed TNBC March 2015. 3 rounds of FEC, 3 rounds of T. Last period 5/7/15, last chemo 14/7/15. Been having period symptoms, breast tenderness, cramping etc last few days. Woke this morning to a small show, looks like the unwanted maybe returning. I’m 44 and until treatment periods were normal.

Did you take any estrogen before the spotting began?

Hi I was wondering if you took any estrogen because Idk if in should start it or not. It’s been almost two years and my period hasn’t returned

Hi everyone, i am new to something like this. And it’s the first time i am using this. I hope everyone is doing well with their treatment and life after cancer. I had my treatment around i think June 2015 up to end of December 2015, i had tripple negative breast cancer at age 36. And my chemo treatment was three cycles of Cyclopofosfomide, and Epirubison every fortnight. Then Paclataxin every week. I had a couple of periods during my treatment, my last one was very close to another type of bleeding maybe period again and that was in November 2015, i have not had anymore periods after then. Now i am wondering have i become menaposal? Does anyone know, what type of treatment is more aggresive,and more likely to couse menapousal, the ladies who have the treatment for triple negative or ladies who have hormonal reseptive based cancer treatment? Also, i am wondering, some of you ladies have had a pausing time ( periods have stoped) in your cycle. But then periods have returned and now you know that it was temprory. How did you feel during that tme with no periods? Was there any meneposal symptoms? And did it go after your body returned back to normal? Sory if i am asking lots of silly questions. Thankyou.

Hi Leyla2,
You are sounding a bit like myself, apart mines was her2 positive and on herceptin after the chemo, My period stopped on the 4th chemo, stopped for about 3 & 1/2 years then came back, for few months before that was getting cramp feelings in stomach, but all seems to have stopped, had about 5 periods, not heavy just lasting about 3 days, now have stopped again, hoping it’s a good sign now, I always thought once you started with chemo that would be the end of them, and was thinking of asking the doctor for blood tests because was starting to think I was going through the menopause, but with that happening now, might leave it for a few months to see if they come back or maybe finally have stopped, don’t want to put myself through anymore worry yet! x