Portacath experiences please!

I’ve just been in hospital for 8 days with a picc line infection and a blot clot in that arm. It wasn’t in the plan but now I need a new plan! As I can’t have a picc line in the other arm due to lymph node surgery, my oncologist is suggesting a portacath… I have terrible veins and am always very difficult to cannulate. I hate needles and they can never get blood.

I would love to hear other people’s experiences of having one fitted and their experience of it. Tell me all! I gather they do this under a local anaesthetic which is terrifying in itself.

Thanks in advance! xox

1 Like

Hi Sarah, I had a portacath fitted during my treatment. I’d heard various stories of what to expect, some not very nice, and as you say it’s done under a local anaesthetic. The hospital staff were very caring and made sure I was covered and unable to see anything during the procedure. It is a very strange sensation, you can feel what is happening but it wasn’t painful. The nurse spoke to me constantly and held my hand throughout. I’d say it wasn’t as bad as I expected, it’s just an unusual feeling.
Once it’s done make sure to take it easy, I asked about aftercare and was told you use common sense. Unfortunately mine became infected before it was used which meant it had to be taken out. I saw them being used on the chemotherapy suite and once they’re in and working they certainly make things much easier. I wish you all the best with it, the hospital staff will run through everything with you and you’ll have the chance to ask plenty of questions, take care.

1 Like

Hi Sarah, I had a picc when I first had chemo in 2019 and had a portocath fitted in 2022 when I had a recurrence. I LOVE my portocath! I had sedation when they fitted it, so I wasn’t very aware of what was going on, and had no issues (unlike when I had the picc fitted which was more stressful and painful). I can shower and do everything normally without worry, as it’s under the skin so doesn’t need to be kept dry. There’s nothing on the outside, unlike the picc. There is a slight, quick pain when they access it but overall it’s stress-free and easy. Hope this helps.
Lisa x

1 Like

Hey, I had mine fitted as I needed over a year of infusions after chemo too. Going in is a little strange but I didn’t take sedation, just the local. A little sore and stiff at first but just take it easy. A little cushion for your seatbelt for the first few days helps. It soon loosens up though and makes all your future bloods and treatments easier. It’s all out now and just two small scars left but it helped protect my veins which didn’t like cooperating with all those blood draws. Best of luck whatever you decide x

2 Likes

Hi Sarah
I have now had two portacaths - 7 years ago when I first had chemotherapy and the other one inserted two years ago, when I needed more treatment (and that one is still in). I have had very positive experiences.
I echo the comments above about it being a bit strange when it’s fitted and needing to take care of it in that first week or so, in particular to avoid an infection. My experience has been once the port has settled down. It’s really easy to use, much more comfortable than a PICC line and much less prone to infection (I have never had an infection in mine). Also, you can do all your normal daily activities, including swimming. So I am a big fan of my port.
I hope you have a similar experience and all the best
Sandra

2 Likes

I had a prortacath and it was great. I had all my lymph nodes removed in the arm that was previously used for bloods so was stuck with the shoddy veins in the other arm. The portacath meant that this wasnt a problem. As others have said, its a little odd when being put in but your face is covered so you dont see anything and I just had a good chat with the surgical team while they were working away (got some good restaurant recommendations haha). I was actually quite shocked when they said they were booking me in to have it removed pretty quickly after I’d finished chemo. I’m sad I don’t have it anymore if I’m honest because I still have pretty regular blood tests and they’re a pain in the bottom now that they can only use my teeny veins

2 Likes

Hi Sarah
I’ve had 2 ports fitted now (approx 18 months apart as cancer spread). I didn’t feel a thing when they went in as I took the option of sedation with the local. Like others have said , a bit sore for a couple of days but no issues whatsoever and so easy when administering drugs, taking blood etc. I would never have anything else (as long as I have a choice).

2 Likes

It’s been so good! The port fitting was straight forward, I was under general anaesthetic so I knew nothing about it. It felt odd at first but now I don’t notice it. It made chemo so easy and it was nice to be hands free.
I’m just waiting for it to be taken out. I highly recommend a port, a full 5 star review from me.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Nessa, that’s really reassuring. Yes it’s the thought of it but I’ve got 8 more weekly treatments to go so got to be better than cannulas and trying to get blood from terrible veins every week! Thank you! xx

1 Like

Hi Lisa, Thank you so much, that’s really helpful and reassuring. I’m becoming such a baby about all this but I’m pretty sure my veins are shrinking! I had so many painful needles inserted in hospital recently … it’s made me very fearful. xx

1 Like

Hi Hariboqueen, Thank you so much. I’m glad it was a good experience for you. I definitely feel like it is the way forward as I still have 8 weekly treatments to go. xx

Thank you Sandra, another reassuring post… I just need to get it done by the sounds of it! Big girl’s pants on! xx

1 Like

That sounds brilliant KChest (apart from you being sad that it’s gone…) It does sound so much easier that hunt the vein. I ended up in tears on Monday as the district nurse had a couple of attempts and it was sooo painful. I wish they did it under general though. xx

1 Like

Thanks so much for responding JoolsM. Your experience with them sounds really positive. Thank you for taking the time… I hope you are doing okay. xx

1 Like

That’s fantastic to hear - thank you so much! How come yours was done under general thought? I would take that option if offered for sure but don’t think they will! Thank you for sharing your experience. xx

@sarahc_123 I don’t know how come it was done under general. I assumed that was the done thing. I had it done under private healthcare. I don’t know if the NHS do it differently.

1 Like

Ahh okay, yes that’s probably the reason. Thank you. xx

All the very best Sarah. And well done for reaching out for help with those big girl pants. I’ll be gunning for you (to mix metaphors!)

1 Like

Thank you. I think I have my head around it now… I have a date for it which means my next chemo will be a cannula. Aaaargh!! More big girl pants needed! xx

1 Like