Radiotherapy - NHS or Private?

Hi, I was wondering how long the wait is for NHS versus private treatment. I’ve had private so far through my work health insurance but am thinking of transferring it as the hospital is too far away from where I live to go there every day.

Does anyone know how long you wait with a private hospital, once referred, compared to the NHS? I don’t want to leave it too late - as I’m told this makes radiotherapy less effective.

Thanks!

hello GB, not sure where you are but i was told that in my area (brighton & hove)i will wait 6 weeks for radiotherapy. that will give me plenty of time to recover from the further surgery i am having post chemo.
no idea about private waits though sorry…

Thanks redcell,

I am also in Brighton - gosh, it’s already 5 weeks since surgery so I can’t wait that long! I will have to check the private hospitals like the Nuffield I think.

Hi GB

I’m in a similar situation to you. I’m currently having my chemotherapy privately which involves me travelling to london each time. Obviously this will be too much for me when I start radiotherapy every day for six weeks. I’ve already mentioned this to my oncologyst in London and she said she will write to my local hospital and try to get me transferred to the NHS for this part of the treatment (she will however still be my oncologist).

Also, just for your info, if you move from having treatment privately to on the NHS, my insurance company said they will pay me £50 per day for having my radiotherapy on the NHS - so quite a tidy sum, every day for six weeks!!

I’m seeing my oncologist on 1 October for next chemo cycle and hope to have an update by then - so I can let you know what the position is. I’d like to hear of other peoples experiences with this kind of thing though. I’m worried it won’t run smoothly etc!!

I thought I was jumping the gun a bit as my chemotherapy doesn’t finish until the second week in december, but my oncologist said that gives the NHS ample time sort this out - so hopefully should be any delay!

Loopy xxx

Hi everyone,

I am a private patient (thanks to husband’s job) but was treated in a NHS hospital. The only difference in the treatment i received was that I had a private room. The radiotherapy was delivered in exactly the same place and way as NHS patients. (Waiting around, ill-fitting hospital gowns, uncomfortable table… me waving around like a stranded whale trying to get off said table.) My radiotherapy was delayed because a previous problem with shingles and also because I could not hold my arm up straight. I honestly do not think they would delay treatment for NHS patients on any other than medical grounds.

Good luck, and don’t let the beggars grind you down,
AlexG

Thanks Alex & Loopy,

That’s really interesting what you both said. I had heard rumours also that it might be the same hospital, but that you get paid on the NHS.
£50 a day would be very handy as having private insurance doesn’t mean I’m rich - my policy was paid for by my employer!

I have tried to get the London medical team to transfer me to Brighton for a couple of things, don’t know if it’s my imagination but they seem a little slow on the uptake. I’m worried they can’t be bothered as there’s nothing in it for them if I take my money elsewhere! My GP has suggested a second opinion from an NHS consultant, but I still haven’t heard anything back - and time’s ticking on.

I had all of my treatment privately including radiotherapy, but the rads were at the NHS hospital. The only difference was that I was able to start the rads 2 weeks earlier than the original date I was given. Also twice when all the appts were running nearly two hours late because one of the machines had broken down, I was taken to a separate room and seen immediately without waiting. But the rest of the time there didn’t seem to be any difference at all.

Hi there,
i had my rads at Brighton 2 yrs ago. I did have private medical insurance but was told for rads everyone was treated in the same place and in the same way. I had to wait eight weeks before treatment started - just due to the number of people being seen. There were nearly always long waits in the hospital (and for the car park), no gowns to change into and very little choice as to time of day for appointments. Still the staff were very nice. Hope you get seen soon
cheers
Caroline

Just spoke to a BCN at the private hospital in Brighton and was told 8-10 weeks, NHS or private - it’s the same. Eek!

Hi
I am living in Worthing and will be gaving my radiation tratment at brighton, through October. I waited for about 8 weeks and will be attending planning meeting Tuesday 22nd anone else in brigton starting at the same time?

Shenay

Hiya

I had all my treatment privately at a private hospital - apart from radiotherapy which they didn’t have the facilities for. For that I had to go to the nearest NHS hospital and although my health insurance paid I was treated just like an NHS patient.

I was told I would have to wait until there was a space before I could start - luckily this wasn’t too long. I was given no preferential treatment at all - not even choosing times of appointments.

The only thing I did have was access to my own oncologist when he was at the hospital rather than the duty one. I only had to ask and could see hime without much of a wait.

Staff were lovely but I hated every minute of it!

Lynn

Just read through this read and now I panicking. My Onc hasn’t referred me to Brighton yet and I am supposed to be starting radiotherapy in about 6 week’s time! He has kept saying we’ve got plenty of time and I’ll do it next time - since July when we first raised it. Last time he was on leave and said his registrar would sort it out but she said he needed to do it!
I’ve had delays all the way through my treatment and getting worried what this will do to my outcome.
Good job I read this as I’m going to chase up straight away.
Elinda

Has anyone been told how effective radiotherapy is following WLE? A percentage perhaps, like they give for chemotherapy?

I have asked several BCNs and the Onc. now and everyone is very vague.

I am worried that if it’s left very late, maybe it’s not worth doing at all? I was told that it is most effective within 4-6 weeks of surgery - but how much does the benefit go down later on I wonder?

Don’t know about percentages, but my onc said that radiotherapy with WLE was “a complete package”. Perhaps because I turned down the chemo he thought I was about to refuse the rads - but I had no intention of doing that. I had op on 16th. June last year and started radiotherapy on 1st.August - which was about 6 weeks. My sister in law had to wait 12 weeks four years ago, but she is still here without further problems.

Thanks all,

Yes I’ve heard it is considered a package with WLE, which amounts to same protection as mastectomy.

I also turned down chemo - feels a bit like because I did this the onc. has just lost interest. Maybe there isn’t so much money to be made from radiotherapy patients! Think I’m going to ask the BCN how long the wait is at the London hospital on Monday, and decide based on that. Even though this would mean travelling up every day I’d rather get it done ASAP if possible.

Hi gardenbeetle,
Might be worth checking what the NICE guidelines are on time spent waiting for rads. I remember I waited about six weeks and then started to kick up a fuss because nothing seemed to be happening - then things started to move. cheers Caroline

I am due to have radiotherapy in November but haven’t heard of WLE. Can anybody tell me what that is?

Sorry - it’s Wide Local Excision - basically a lumpectomy!

Hi Canalily,

A WLE is an abbreviation for Wide Local Excision, the name given to the operation to remove a breast cancer with a small amount of surrounding healthy tissue. Sometimes called breast conserving surgery, or lumpectomy

I have also put the link to BCC’s publication ‘Your operation and recovery’ which I hope you find useful.

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/100

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Finally got an appointment for radiotherapy planning on Monday. Had to give up on Brighton due to the long wait, however London hospital said they can start it within 10 days, which should be within 8 weeks of my surgery. Will just have to commute. They said it’s likely to be 4 weeks treatment though so need to get a months season ticket!