September 2023 Chemo Starters

@annemanc that is fantastic news, you must be so relieved.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Had my call with genetics and yes Iā€™m eligible for testing due to my diagnosis of bilateral breast cancer ( two separate cancers at once). I said yes go ahead as they already had my blood. Now 3/4 month wait.

My daughterā€™s risk is now moderate and would be eligible for mammogram screening from 40 even if the test is negative. If we are both positive she will be eligible for annual MRI from 30-50 years and mammogram from 35-68years.

They have also said if Iā€™m positive they would like me to contact my aunts to see if they would be willing to be tested to see if there was something hereditary before and on which side which would in turn possibly help my cousins.

They also mentioned an Embrace study in which they take your blood and test at regular intervals to see if they can see changes in the blood, which in turn means there could be a blood test for cancer! How great is that! They have been working on this for over 20 years.

Just got to tell a few other people then I will put it in a box until I need to think about it.

Hope everyone is doing ok. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Amazing news!! xx

2 Likes

They removed it yesterday. It think itā€™s too early for show and post op. It feels too early. But will do that over the weekend probably, it will be two weeks post op then and I still have butterfly plasters.
Am slowly slowly being more active and hoping it doesnā€™t bite me in the back. By active I mean, using my right hand for carrying the kettle for example!

Iā€™ve had pembro today so fully excepting a low grade fever.
My thyroid is messed up really badly and whilst my hair started growing back post chemo am loosing more now so something is wrong and Iā€™ve got an appointment with endocrinologist Fridayā€¦I have 0 appetite but like zero. I force myself to eat but am boarder line about to put reminders to eat in my calendar! Itā€™s 8pm and I still havenā€™t had dinner just because I forgot and am genuinely not hungry which is bad.

@annemanc I do feel like an old lady and definitely feel what menaupose could look like. Played Rummikub w mum last week and couldnā€™t remember a combination I wanted to do. My bran can think forward but am struggling to remember/think backwards of a thought I just had.

So GLAD your results went ok :heart::heart::heart:. Hope you celebrate the win :partying_face:. Am still waiting for mine but consultant is on holiday anyway and in a way Iā€™m quite glad so then I know sheā€™ll contact me when sheā€™s back and sheā€™s got them, and itā€™s parked in back of my brain.

3 Likes

What an amazing news tomhear that there could be a blood test for cancer !

Iā€™ve done the genetic testing and awaiting to hear. I suspect there is something at my grandmother level (possibly before thatšŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø) on my dad sideā€¦

3 Likes

Could I ask a favour? Iā€™ve asked my BC nurse but sheā€™s not got back to me yet and Iā€™m starting to worry I wonā€™t have time to get things orderedā€¦

Do you have any post-op bra recommendations? Iā€™m looking online and assume that they suit any sort of post op- both lumpectomies and mastectomies? Some are clearly immediately post op and some are longer term- canā€™t see anyone managing a racer back/crossed straps right after surgery! I assume Iā€™d want something front fastening to avoid having to contort- and wider bands around the side/back so as not to irritate the lymph node wound?

I have an L shaped pillow, button down pjsā€¦ anything else Iā€™m missing? I am calm about the op itself, but I think the prep is the thing that Iā€™m going to stress about a bit :-/

Thanks so much! X

4 Likes

I got a post surgery bra from marks and Spencerā€™s, they have tonnes to choose from. The one I got is nice and soft (no wires) and fastens at the back but they habe front fastening ones too.

They also have them in their bigger stores so you can try them on. They also sell soft inserts in case you neee them. My bra is so comfy I wear it lots (going to wait until after my radiotherapy to buy new bras, so I know what size I am).

A lot of the M&S ones are reasonably pretty tooā€¦ not as hideous as the nursing bras I remember from having kids. Xxx

6 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing news Annemanc, wonderful, you can relax a little now xxx

3 Likes

This would indeed be amazing to have such a test, good you are having genetic testing Naughtyboob
xxx

4 Likes

I had a lumpectomy and used Asda George soft tshirt bras. They pull over head but I found it ok as I could pull the material. A few weeks after surgery I went to M&S for a bra fitting and they recommended a non wired back fastening bra.

If you buy a specific post surgery bra you will be able to get it VAT free. The bra I bought was not eligible.

If youā€™re having a mastectomy I would think a front fastening is definitely preferable, especially if youā€™ve had reconstruction.

The lady at M&S was so lovely and had helped many ladies post surgery.

Is your surgery next week?

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Congratulations @annemanc that is the best news.

2 Likes

Hi @plum1
I bought a post surgery bra from m&s front fastening but it was too small due to fluid build up post surgery.
I wear those 24/7 pre surgery and now post surgery theyā€™re great. I slip them on from the bottom so as not to raise my arm too much and theyā€™re super soft and super stretchy so no sawing in the operated area for me which is key. You could also wash with it as they are really thin and they would dry really easy. You can add more padding. 1st week I had to insert in right boob to give it more support and stop it moving! I sleep in it and very comfortable itā€™s like a second skin.
Am not sure Iā€™ll wear the bras I bought and probably will return them. But if you did bought a front fastening one, in hindsight I would have bought a side up round the bust and one cup up due to swelling.

Hope this helps xx

3 Likes

Hi Ladies I received some good news about the test results. Itā€™s clear, not one cell left of cancer. Am so relieved once I hung up I cried for 5 min and Iā€™ve kept crying throughout the day!! Then I kept calling my mum and she says am in a meeting :joy: sheā€™s retired but still amazes me that she keeps busy (guess I get that from her lol) she knows now and Iā€™ll be calling my family :heart:
I still have to hear on genetics testing. I suspect there is a gene at my grandmother level possibly before that even.

Good luck to those going to surgery @plum1 youā€™ll do great. Sending you massive huge positives vibes and big hugs xxx

7 Likes

Thatā€™s absolutely fantastic news!!! Xxxx

1 Like

Amazing news!! So pleased for you, and yes, you may get your inability to sit still from your mum! :wink:

Thank you for the bra recommendations (and @naughty_boob @annemanc). Iā€™ve ordered a few front zip ones, some
M&S and some from George at Asda too, will see what turns up.

Those M&S flexifit ones look good, I tried a similar moulded one from Uniqlo a couple of months ago as Iā€™m in my comfort era tooā€¦ boobs pretty much fell out of the bottom, there was nothing holding them up (or in!) :rofl: But happy to give M&S the benefit of the doubt, itā€™s more their wheelhouse at least!

Iā€™m so pleased for everyone getting their good news :kissing_heart: xx

4 Likes

@pinklilli3s congratulations. That is the best news. Tears of relief seem entirely appropriate.

3 Likes

You made me laugh :joy: I am in my forties and had no kids so guess I might have had a slight advantage?! :crazy_face:
Theyā€™re useless for sport though I can tell you that :see_no_evil:
It will.be interesting to see once itā€™s healed and not swollen how much room there is left in there and how much padding I needā€¦

5 Likes

Late 30s and no kids hereā€¦ :woman_shrugging:t2::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Fantastic news @pinklilli3s :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

2 Likes