September 2024 chemo starters

Yes you’ll be able to drive. I had to drive 1 1/2 hours both ways and I was fine. I actually think I could have driven after chemo but I’m not risking it and my husband likes the fact he can do something for me.
I had no issues with the picc line being put in, local anaesthetic and away they go took 30 mins and my thread was 50cm inside 5cm outside. I did have an issue with the dressing I reacted to it, it started to itch and I had blisters so I did start to unstick it but my picc line went in Friday and my first treatment was Monday so I didn’t have long so the chemo nurse changed it to a different dressing and that’s been fine. They also give you a sock thing to go over it I would recommend a slightly bigger one (yellow stripe) my first (blue stripe) was quite tight and I found it quite painful depends on how big/small your arms are. Good luck x

I’ve been told a natural cure for constipation if it comes is grind 2 table Spoons of linseeds in a coffee grinder put into a tumbler and fill with 300ml water and drink it down, don’t leave it it’ll go gloopy. This is from 3 1/2 year BC survivor whose sister is a GP who recommended it. Apparently the linseed holds the water and rather than pushing round the blockage it helps the blockage move. Unlike medical pharmacy portions that don’t move the blockage just go round it. I have some in my cupboard in preparation but like you I’m hoping to god I don’t get constipated.

3 Likes

Thanks @nicnac17. My husband is driving me to chemo sessions but he has to take time off work so if I can minimise that its good. Thanks for the tips on covers… I will remember the yellow thing. I too was hyper nervous about the drugs spread from cannula and also only have one arm to go at with full lymph node clearance on the other side so just makes sense all round for me.
PICC on the 27th and fingers crossed round 2 of EC on the 30th.

1 Like

Aww good luck. I’m exactly the same lymph node clearance on right so they had to use the left. I did get a bit nervous when they said they have to do blood pressure on my lymph node side I am petrified of lymphoedema too… x

They did my BP on my picc line arm - they just used the lower arm instead of the top :slight_smile:

Oh heck. I hadnt thought about blood pressure …me too with lymphodema. I got cording after op so I seem to collect side effects. I will see if i can persuade them to use upper arm?

Day 9 post 1st EC. Day 6 Filgrastim.
Jeez, my hips dont lie, my lower back has its own pulse!!
Anyone relate?

1 Like

Me too, see if they can use picc line side. X

Oh god no I’m about to have my first injection so cannot relay any thoughts yet but I will when they kick in. I didn’t even know I had to have injections until a week before my treatment I was horrified and have to do myself but district nurse coming to show me how thankfully.

1 Like

@nicnac17
lucky you, my nurse showed me one in the box and sent me home with them! My husband has been a star doing them for me, they are preloaded, very fast and not painful really. Youll be fine. :blush:

3 Likes

It stung but not too bad but doing it to myself is a different matter. I think this is my one weak point. We’ll see, district nurse was lovely she said they should be in the fridge which I didn’t know. So now in the fridge. Ha my husband has said NO he has always had a phobia about needles so lucky you. X

2 Likes

Finally completed my first round of chemo this afternoon, 2 x weeks later than it should have been! After my crappy reaction to paclitaxel last week very pleased to have had an uneventful infusion of abraxane (so far haha). After a very thorough “pre” session for paclitaxel I didn’t really get any insights from the nurses as to what to expect from abraxane (I suppose because it’s the same but not the same) so no idea what I’m in for really. Guessing what I’m feeling at the moment (wired & ravenous) is the steroids. Got a bit teary when all the nurses went down the corridor & heard someone ringing the bell & lots of clapping. Just feels so far off that being me! Met some lovely people in the chemo room today - at much later stages of treatment than me who made me feel like I can get through this.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear this, sounds really shit. I’m same age as you, grade 3 ductal carcinoma with lymph involvement, Her2 - / ER+. I hope you are doing okay - the first 6 x weeks getting to grips with everything are pretty dire aren’t they. Is it a different hospital you go to for chemo? I had surgery first & found the transfer to a different hospital for chemo (whilst still under the overarching care of my local hospital) a bit convoluted, various whose done this / whose responsible for that conversations that they didn’t seem to know the answer to.
Hope you got your premeds sorted & hope your first treatment goes well tomorrow x

1 Like

@sunshineandunicorns … I know exactly what you mean re time scales. My 6th cycle would start on the 23rd of December if all went to plan but then as its weekly it wont be finished…another 2 more into the new year. And then radio. I hate wishing time away and maybe after we get a few weeks under our belts it will seem like the end is at least vaguely in sight. Hope you’re doing okay this evening. Xx

1 Like

Glad you got the first one over with! One down :hugs:

1 Like

what are the marigolds for Linda Corinne?

I’ve been told same thing re husband and am gutted. He is going to work remotely from the charity centre next door while he waits for me, hopefully.

To use when washing up as your skin may react as it’s more sensitive.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry you’re having to work for financial reasons. Do you have anyone at work who could advocate on your behalf to see if they could give you some paid time off? My boss did this for me with HR and I was blown away that they actually said yes! It won’t cover the whole treatment but will go a really long way. If not, could you get someone to talk to HR/boss/team about reasonable adjustments as under UK employment law anyone with a cancer diagnosis is considered disabled - so for example, if they can let you work from home, to prevent infection, they should. It’s so much to deal with and the financial stress on top of all this is really awful. I spoke to Macmillan Financial Guides and Macmillan Benefits Advsor and they were brilliant. Good luck!

2 Likes

I don’t know how to reply to the replies, I hope this works. I am switching hospitals but it’s all part of the same group so I hope it will be OK. I think it’s one big umbrella hopspital. The premeds turned out to be steroids, and I had already missed a dose (how did no one mention this? I had no info/education day so I wonder if that’s why?? or because I have this Sat clinic oncologist from another trust??) Anyway I got them and took the 9am dose at about 3.30 or 4pm and am about to take another. Then sleep!!! Ha, let’s hope. Here goes…

2 Likes