Severe vomiting after Chemo

My Partner had her 1st round of EC chemo this morning. After a horrific day of retching and vomitting, including having an ambulance sent out, we are currently in A&E and she is receiving IV Cyclazine and fluids.

I’ve asked for her next dose of Ondansatron to be given via IV as well. That’s due at 1:30am.

The Marsden say they can’t do anything re her meds until Monday. And I know she will leave here feeling better BUT what the hell do we do when it all wears off, and the home meds don’t help her?

What’s the strongest home meds we can ask for? What do I do this weekend?

2 Likes

Hi Im not sure whether the nurses on the forum will be able to respond today ,maybe you could ring the breast cancer now helpline and speak to one of the nurses tel 0808 800 6000 - it’s open til 1pm today .

2 Likes

There’s a buccal (around the gums) version of ondansetron, ask for that. She won’t actually have to swallow it, it’s absorbed via the buccal membrane in your mouth.
Cyclizine also comes in suppositories, not the nicest I know, but works really well. Good luck xx

3 Likes

:heart: her team will tweak her meds till they get right combination that will work for her :heart:sorry to hear she is struggling like this, it will be sorted they’ve seen it all before and know what to do, sorry it’s happened over a weekend, you have rung her rapid response number so the teams aware she is in. Do ring the number on here too bcn’s here for both of you :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

Hi, I was also very sick for 2-3 days after my first EC, despite the meds. Then it started to wear off and I just had a week of mild nausea. I told the nurses and I was prescribed aprepitant (Emend) for my subsequent EC sessions. That was really effective - I won’t say I never felt nauseous but I didn’t vomit again and I did feel a thousand times better than after my first session. Best of luck with getting the meds sorted.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. It was pretty hideous. X

1 Like

Hello nipj,

Thanks for posting.

This sounds very distressing for you both. We are unable to respond to forum posts over the weekend, but it looks like you had some support and helpful information from our forum community.

Hopefully when your partner was discharged from A and E, she was given information about what to do over the remainder of the weekend.

As you will have seen, different anti-sickness medications are available. One of these or an alternative combination can be more effective than another in controlling nausea and vomiting in an individual. Hopefully you or your partner will be able to get some advice from her chemotherapy team today so any ongoing nausea can be controlled and something different given for her next cycle of EC.

Your partner may be interested in the range of services we offer. This includes our monthly chemotherapy threads where people can support each other as they go through chemotherapy at the same time.

You are both welcome to call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.