Sleeping bad

Hi Ive been taking Tamoxifen for about 3 weeks but I’m having trouble sleeping. I wake up and can’t go back to sleep. Is this normal on this medication

Hi Vicky, it could be part of the problem. Lowering oestrogen, whether that be through menopause ( natural or surgical)or blocking the receptors which is what tamoxifen does can play havoc with all sorts of our physiology! The insomnia may be due to anxiety and/or depression too. If it goes on, tell your GP or cancer nurse at the surgery. Sometimes they prescribe a low dose antidepressant to help. In the meantime I guess try lavender, yoga ( helps me no end!) the Calm app when you wake up. I like the sound of rain falling… maybe a chamomile tea. As you get used to the meds it might well improve but if it doesnt, ring the docs! Wishing you well , M x

1 Like

Hi vicky,

Thanks for posting

It can be difficult when you are having problems sleeping.

Experiencing sleep problems after a diagnosis of breast cancer is very common and if not managed effectively can lead to fatigue, otherwise known as extreme tiredness, which doesn’t always go away with rest or sleep and may affect you physically and emotionally.

Side effects, such as the sleep problems you are experiencing, can be worse in the first few weeks after starting tamoxifen. However, many people find that initial symptoms settle and improve as time passes. You may find our Facebook live on sleep useful to help you manage your sleep problems.

If you have not done so already, do discuss how you are feeling with your treatment team, breast care nurse or GP so they can support you. It’s important they are aware of any side effects you are experiencing and if they are affecting your daily life.

It can sometimes help to share your experiences with others who may have been through something similar. You may be interested in our Moving Forward resources that are for people who have had a diagnosis of primary breast cancer and have come to the end of their main hospital treatment within the last 2 years. They include our Moving Forward booklet and Moving Forward courses.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters so if language translation is required you can also call 0808 800 6000

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Natasha

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.