Travel Insurance

I had a very good annual travel insurance policy last year provided by AIS but this year they have changed their underwriters and will not cover me at all for BC.

The only reason this worries me is the slight possibility of something happening to my ‘bad’ arm - not directly with the BC. I haven’t got lymphoedema in my arm and am very careful but it’s still possible to get stung or bitten. I’ve actually got lymphoedema in my breast.

I have called all the other numbers I could find on this site and companies will not do an annual cover - only single trip policies. I’ve got 3 little holidays coming up this summer so it works out very expensive.
Has anyone managed to get an annual travel policy (Europe) recently?

I’ve finished all my treatment except for Aromasin.
Many thanks
Anthi

Hi Anthi

Whilst you await replies you can use the ‘search’ facility at the top of the page to look through recent discussions on this subject which may provide you with more information.

Best wishes
Lucy

Many thanks Lucy
Anthi

Hi Anthi

Have posted a reply under “After Treatment has Finished” category!

Jo

Thanks Josie
Anthi x

Hi Anthi

I was turned down this week by Freedom Insurance for a 12 night cruise to Portugal, the Canaries and Madeira, over New Year. Thos. Cook gave me their name and said they even cover a 95 yr old client each year for a cruise. Obviously he must be fit and healthy. I am NED after stage 2 idc 5 yrs ago, but am awaiting surgery for strictures in my intestines. Apparently P & O won’t take bookings from people who don’t have private travel insurance because: “they can’t turn the ship round if you are ill”. What a facile response - are they going to turn it round if I get ill and HAVE travel insurance? Methinks not, so why can’t we fund our own medical problems? This was to be our first cruise, with elderly friends (he is 85 yrs, she is 83 yrs and had bc 2 yrs ago) to celebrate my husband’s 80th birthday. I am really disappointed, husband relieved he doesn’t have to go and my husband’s offer to take me anywhere I want in England over New Year is not quite in the same league. They also turned down my husband as he isawaiting diagnosis of numb feet and unable to walk more than 50 yds. Don’t they have wheelchairs on ships? Guess we have joined the untouchables club.

Liz.

Hi Liz,
Have you tried AllClear (all one word)? It’s really disappointing for you to miss such a special trip. I suspect the waiting for op thing might be a bigger problem to them than the BC.
As an alternative could you go somewhere in Europe using the reciprocal health care? Don’t let the b-------rds grind you down.

Lots of hugs
Jojoxxx

Hello Liz

I’m sorry you’ve been turned down for your cruise.

I eventually got a very good deal from AllClear who have given me an annual multi trip insurance for £87 which includes cover for BC. You have to pay £100 excess but that’s no problem.

AllClear seem very good. I passed their details on to my next door neighbour who is 65 and has angina and asthma and he managed to get a policy more than £100 cheaper than he had been quoted elsewhere.

Best wishes everyone
Anthi x

Hi,
Is there anyone out there with secondaries who has managed to get travel insurance?

I have liver mets and would like to go to Turkey for two weeks in September.
Alli x

Bumping up.

Hi Alli

Try miaonline (01268 783383). I’ve also got secondaries and have used them for the past 3 years (whilst still on chemo). They don’t ask for a letter from your oncologist, only that you’ve spoken to them and that it’s been recorded on your file that they think you’re fit to travel.

I’ve just come back from the South of France (going again in 3 weeks time!) and it costs me £44.50 each fortnight which is really good as none of the other companies will touch me because of secondaries except if you pay an extortionate premium.

Good luck!

Hi pinkdove,
Thanks, just rang them and they’ve quoted me £63.50 for two weeks in Turkey which is great!
Alli x

Hi Alli

Really pleased about that! They’re the only company that I’ve found that offers a realistic premium which includes b.c.

Enjoy Turkey!

xxx

I thought i would add my results into the mix as i was going to the USA and my annual £55 jobby from AIS runs out the week before!!!

Obviously everyone has different circumstances but im now just on regular medication ( tamoxifen, zoladex and alendronic acid) , no spread and just regular check ups

AIS will no longer insure me for pre- existing conditions
Insure pink- seemed to be excluding pre- existing conditions also
Allclear - was £963!! It is £68 to Europe for the year once you are 2 years clear but USA is a no no
Medicover - no longer trading
Freespirit £369
Its so easy was £88 including all pre existing conditions for one trip and £180 annual Travel insurance- 0845 222 4205
Towergate £48.80 for my pre existing conditions

I have to say you have to shop and one does not suit all as for Towergate i had to be out of hospital 12 months around as i went last year without pre existing until i found AIS as i had just had chemo and not yet had the op

Happy hunting

Hannah

xx

Hi,
I am looking for some advice here.I had BC diagnosed 30 June 2008 and have had Mastectomy and immediate recon 23 July 2008.
I do not need chemo or rads just tamoxifen for 5 years.
I had to cancel a holiday and I have a claim in with my travel insurance.This should be settled without problems hopefully but we had only paid a deposit so not too much at stake.
When I told them I had BC and they said oh we will add that to your policy for the future and there seemed to be no problem.However when the updated policy has arrived BC is actually excluded from cover!
We hope to take a winter break to the Canaries to make up for the cancelled holiday.
My question is will I be covered by the European health card or should I take further travel insurance?
Will I get travel insurance so close to diagnosis/surgery?

Also , we would love to travel to the USA,are we better to wait 2 years post diagnosis?

Thanks in advance for any info/experiences,

Love
Dot
x

I had insurance with mainline yesterday one week to Majorca £39.50p

I have secondaries with bone mets.

Previously had insurance with Leisurecare for £100.00 per Policy.

Really pleased with Mainline quote you have to confirm that Onc is happy for you to travel and must ask for it to be recorded on your records. Also excess much lower than Leisurecare £150.00 as opposed to £400.00.

Counting down to 6th September, can’t wait.

Denio x

Sorry for any confusion by my above post its Mia Online!

Denio x

Hi Denio

I think Mia are great for those of us with secondaries as I haven’t found another company who will give me a realistic premium because of still being on chemo.

For others who don’t know about Mia they cover the following countries:
UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Continent of Europe, West of the Ural Mountains, Madeira, Canary Islands, Iceland, Azores, Mediterranean Islands, Australia, New Zealand and the Cook Islands, Barbados, Martinique, Guadeloupe, St Martin, St Marteen, Aruba, Fr. Polynesia, Greenland, Reunion, Fr. New Caledonia, Turkey, Northern Cyprus, Egypt, Morocco and Tunisia plus they will also cover on board cruise ships.

These are split into five categories with different prices but they can’t get a reasonable premium to offer us yet for USA. They also cover older people (81+) which does have a much higher premium but at least they cover this age group.

Hi Pinkdove,

Thanks for the info regarding the countries that Mia cover very useful.

I was really pleased with the premium as have previously paid £100.00 to a firm called Leisurecare with a £400.00 excess and I was quite happy with that. Obviously Mia much better.

Am hoping at some point to go to USA perhaps by then a premium will be available.

Best wishes,

Denio

Before I developed mets earlier this year I used It’s so Easy and had an annual premium with them that included ski-ing and USA, I think it was in the £100 range rather than £200 plus and I don’t recall the excess being too high. This was 2 years post surgery and I was on Tamoxifen. Before that I had to take out individual trips and didn’t risk the States as the premium was so high. It covered all medical and lost luggage etc. I can’t use them now but will be checking out Mia soon as I hope to go away after chemo has finished. Just to bear in mind I was advised to insure everyone your travelling with on the same policy as if you have to cancel their BC exempt policy may not cover their costs if they cancelled as well. It doesn’t usually cost much, if any, to insure Husbands and children under 18 are added for free. We have an annual policy through our bank for free so although we’re all covered BC (and any pre-exisitng conditions) are excluded so it’s useful to check what’s best if you’re with the family and they are already insured.
I also read of a new policy called EHIC plus which is just being launched which covers the extra bits that the EHIC card doesn’t ie delays, luggage etc. It’s meant to be very cost effective for Europe only and I think they can be found on the web.

Nicky