Waiting for diagnosis

Hello. I had to go to the hospital for some more test some days ago after a routine mammogram came back with some concerns. There I was told that the lump.is most likely cancerous. I had an appointment yesterday but was called from the hospital to let me know there are some tests they’re waiting for the results so now the appointment with the consultant is in two weeks.

I’ve only told my husband, priest and prayer group. I’m waiting for the results to talk with our children and my mother and siblings.

Meanwhile, my sister has been planning on a family trip for weeks now and I’m not sure if I should talk to her now or wait for the results. We’ve been planning to go to Italy during October’s half term.
I’d appreciate it if you could give me some feedback on what to do.

Thank you and sorry for the long text. I hoie you all ahave a great week.

2 Likes

Hi @cristina1,

I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. Waiting for diagnosis and results can be such an anxious time, even without the added pressure of your family trip. Now is the time to put yourself first and to do what is right for you - if it takes a little bit of time for you to get your head around what that is, that’s more than okay.

If you’d like to talk this through with someone, our nurses are available not just for questions but also just as a listening ear on 0808 800 6000.

We’re wishing you all the very best,

Alice :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is a little overwhelming and I’m very happy to have found this space, which feels very empathic and safe.

My husband, children and myself are relatively new to living here as we moved from abroad just under two years ago. Most of our extended family is back in the country we’re from so that adds to my unease. I don’t have a close friend to digest this with, so I’m sure I can talk with the nurses here and rely on information and support from this group.

Thank you again and take care.

2 Likes

Hi @cristina1

Welcome to the forum. Waiting for a diagnosis is the worst time. Fingers crossed it’s nothing to worry about but if it is then there will be a plan for treatment. Whichever occurs, you will feel better knowing.

It’s a difficult one with the family trip and whether you tell your sister. I suppose it depends on how close you are, do you normally share everything and anything or do you keep a lot to yourself? I notice you have shared with your prayer group so you were happy to share with them. I can understand not telling your children, no matter what their age, mine were in their 20s and I told them after my diagnosis. It was approximately 6 weeks from finding the lump to diagnosis, it was hard not to say anything as we are really close but I didn’t want to worry them if it was nothing. They have been with me every step of the way since.

As already said you have to think of yourself probably for the first time in a long time. I know it was for me, I’d been a mum for over 20 years and always put my children first. I even apologised for my diagnosis.

If you choose not to tell your sister, maybe you could just put off any talk of a holiday for the next two weeks, change the subject, deflect, do whatever you can.

The BCN nurses are always there to chat. * Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.

Try to do things that can distract your over the next two weeks until your results, don’t worry if there is a delay, there can be issues with lab work, holidays etc, it happens all the time. It won’t be easy, I know, but try.

Let us know how you get on. This forum is so supportive, we will be there for you if you need us.

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@naughty_boob thank you for your message. I appreciate all that you’ve said. I realise it’s awkward to ask of you about the situation with my sister. I guess I want to know what to say, not only "it might be nothing or it might be something ". The thing is she’s pushing to reserve the accomodation as the more we wait the higher the price goes. Anyway, I think I know what to do, it’s just that it is a little bit daunting telling love ones so ver far away something like this.
Take care and thanks again.

2 Likes

I’m glad you think you know what to do. I can understand there is another level of anxiety with your family living far away.

There will be many people on here to help and support you if you need it.
Here are some link for BCN

• Website
    : You can register for our services. Or find our publications, more information and support or how to volunteer. It’s all here.
  • Helpline: 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). Speak to our trained helpline team. No questions are too big or too small.
  • Ask Our Nurses: You can message our nurses here on the forum, or confidentially. Whatever you prefer.
  • Someone Like Me: Will match you with a trained volunteer who’s had a similar experience to you. They’ll be a phone call or email away to answer your questions, offer support, or simply listen. Call on 0800 138 6551 or contact our email volunteers
  • Younger Women Together: For people 45 and under. You can choose the support that suits you: online, one day or 2 day residential events. Find an event.
  • Moving Forward: Finishing treatment can be hard, and it can be difficult to move forward with your life. You can access our support online or face-to-face. Our online information hub and Moving Forward journal provide extra ideas and information. Courses run over 2 weeks, with 2 3.5hr sessions. Or trained facilitators and volunteers are there to help. Find a course near you.
  • Publications: Download and order publications. You can read online or order your copy for free. From managing menopausal symptoms, hormone treatment or triple negative breast cancer, our information is here for you.
  • BECCA: Our free app is your pocket companion to primary breast cancer.
  • Speaker Live: sessions are on every month. They focus on the topics that matter to you, lead by expert speakers from across the UK. You can register for one of our webinars, and watch it live, or as a recording. We also have Facebook and Instagram Live sessions run by our clinical team on a huge range of topics. You can find them all on YouTube
  • Secondary breast cancer is full of uncertainties. But you can count onLiving with Secondary Breast Cancer to be there for you, no matter what. You’ll be able to talk, listen and learn with people who understand the challenges that secondary breast cancer brings. Our groups are open to people with a secondary diagnosis. Monthly sessions, facilitated by a therapist, are held in a variety of locations across the UK and online. Find a group. And if you are 45 or under? Our Younger Women with Secondaries Together events provide information and support
  • LiveChat: Open to people with a secondary diagnosis. A private chat room where you can talk to others in a similar situation.
  • Access Fund – all our events are free, but if you need help getting there or accessing our services, let us know. Email us at accessfund@breastcancernow.org or call 0345 077 1893.
    :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
2 Likes

@naughty_boob thank you so much for the information. I’ll make use of it, for sure. Wishing you the best, take care.

2 Likes

Dear Christine,

We have all been there and now we are here for you, taking one day at a time at the moment, making a few notes along the way for your consultation, also how your feeling about yourself.

As regards your holiday, this could be just what the doctor ordered, after all the anxiety and stress you are going through, but timing could be perfect or a problem as we don’t know the outcome at the moment. If you could just wait until you are able to speak with your breast cancer team, before making a decision. Fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Wishing you health and happiness going forward with your lovely family.

Hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

3 Likes

@Tili thank you so much for your advice. Yes, it all comes to what I’ll find out during the appointment with the consultant.
I already feel better, knowing I have the support of such great ladies.
Take care and have a great week.

3 Likes

Hello all. Just wanted to update my situation. I was diagnosed with G2 HER2 +1 Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. Because it’s lobular I have a MRI scan programmed for this Sunday. Then 2 more weeks, more or less, until we meet again with the team to know what treatment will be taking place.

Meanwhile, still not telling our children nor families, only my priest, praying group and closest friends. My husband has been very supportive and a great help.

I hope you are all doing ok.

2 Likes

Oh @cristina1 im so sorry you have received that diagnosis and hope you receive your treatment plan soon.

I’m also HER2+ and there is a thread for HER2 buddies if you would like to join HER2+ and need some buddies - #394 by chakakhan

If you have chemotherapy or radiotherapy there is a monthly starters group each month. I know it’s early but it may be helpful later on. This is the link for chemo June 2024.

Take care and I wish you well on your journey.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@naughty_boob Thank you for your message and the information. I will look into it. I really have no idea still as to what the treatment will be as it’ll probably be 2 or 3 weeks before I have the next appointment with the consultant and team.
I’m a little worried about what they could have found in the MRI but there’s no point in speculation, I’m sure.

Moving forward and living as usual, right?

Thank you again for your kind words. Take care and hope you are ok.

1 Like