Which Shampoo/Conditioner After Chemo??

hello ladies

just wondering which shampoo/conditioners you are using once your hair grows back from the chemo??

I have a bit of hair now, and am wondering which products are best.Thanks.

eva

i just use something that smells nice… organics usually and alphosyl shampoo for dry scalp.

I opted to go for the chemical free option and use Faith in Nature shampoos which I get from health food stores. Both my husband and I love them. My favourite is seaweed and his is lavender and geranium.
If you have a Waitrose near you they may also stock some chemical free options but they do vary in price and some can be quite expensive.

Elinda x

Hi,

I’ve started using Charles Worthington Gentle stuff. I always used his stuff before as I get excema and found it to be very good. They discontinued the one I did use before but this one smells nice and seems to be good so far butt hen I don’t have much hair yet, just some fluff.

Em x

I used Simple products on my hair when it was growing back. I also got it trimmed regularly and it came back lovely.

Take care

Carolyn x

Hi
I used one called organics, bit pricey, but wanted to treat myself, and lasted ages. Now I use any of the gentler ones.
C

Hi,

I am a hairdresser and work in a hair-loss/ wig salon…I suggest you use something like baby shampoo and simple conditioner…Hair that grows back is new hair like a baby’s even though the follicle is old…this is why it can be curly but then straighten out after about a year once the follicle has recovered…also skin can be sensitive and baby stuff is very mild. We advise this to all our clients and I use this myself as my hair has been growing back for about 6 months now…

Take care
Fiona xxxx

thanks for your help, ladies. I really appreciate it! Will be going shampoo/cond shopping this weekend.

eva

Hi Ladies,
A friend has recommeded Spiezia organic Head and hair oil! just wondered if anyone has tried it? very expensive, but if it helps, l think l am worth it (well at the moment anyway)
They also do a full range of hand, face and body creams.
Sandra

hi all - the nurse who looks after the cold cap at my hospital is the queen of hair ! and she recommends nioxin to encourage it to grow and be strong and then once it is back Keratase for good treatment. I don’t care how expensive it is - I just want to have great hair again !!!

R xx

I use baby shampoo on my re growth. now 10 weeks post chemo. What I’d like to know is when can I dye it again? I know I’ll have to wait but for how long?
It has come back mousey grey and I hate it. But it is better than no hair so I shouldn’t complain.

ET they have told me that you can’t/shouldn’t use a chemical dye for around 6 mths and I guess it won’t be in any condition to take it anyway but they also say that you can use a vegi dye - I think there are other posts somewhere that will tell you more.

I’m just pleased to see it ! I don’t care much what colour it is xxx

Hi,

Just thought I’d add my hair care regime as since I started it my hair has started coming back alot quicker.

Daily I exfoliate my head with those exfoliating gloves, with either some aqueouse cream or just my shampoo. (I mentioned earlier that I use Charles Worthignton). Then I condition. After this I’m using what I’m calling magic hair cream. It’s from Neals Yard. Rosemary and Cedarwood Hair Treatment. It has Coconut Oil, Cedarwood, Rosemary and Lavender in it and I just spend a minute or 2 massaging it in. The act of massaging aswell is highly beneficial.

2 weeks ago I had some random fluff, now my head feels a bit like velvet!

Em x

thanks for your comments ladies.

How often do you wash your hair?? ive been washing mine once a week since it’s started to come back.
eva

Hi - I use the nioxin every day - I’m used to washing my hair every day in the shower and just use it to make sure my head is as clean as it can be. I kinda massage it at the same time.

keep me posted on how you get on xxx

Hi Girls

Hope you don’t mind me joining in here. My hair is back to nearly normal now a year after finishing chemo, but I did find that when it was regrowing it was very fine and I felt as if in places it was breaking up with the friction of the pillow during the night(Just like babies)

I was advised to treat myself to a silk pillowcase and it really helped.As a side isssue silk pillowcases are supposed to help avoid facial wrinkles.

Take Care

Andie

helps your hair and prevents wrinkles ! I’m off to get a silk pillow !!! thanks for the tip xx

Thanks for your response RECS. I’m sort of getting used to the grey now. But will look forward to changing the colour next year. Until then I think I’ll just live with it it’s loking better now that it’s thickening up a bit.

thanks for the tip about silk,

Hi - my hair has started to grow again and coming in grey, with a sort of mohican style and quiff at the front! Even when I have jut washed it I cannot get it to change direction. My last chemo was mid may. Still feel vunerable if out in public but am okay with people I know. But it is too hot for the wig now. Am still using Simple soap on body and hair as have only just finished Radio (31 May)but have got some baby shampoo standing by.