Anyone from East Kilbride/Glasgow area?

Hi girls good day to u all and welcome Annie and Helen again sorry you had to join our wee club but it is a good support to us all.

Sharon i am delighted you have had ur last chemo whey hey you have passed a big hurdle,hope ur keeping well.

Angela you have passed the biggest hurdle finishing ur rads must be a great feeling but also a scarey one as you probably feel ur on ur own now but i’m sure like the rest of us we will all go on to have good long lives ahead of us.I forgot to tell you the girl i was talking about who had the baby after having bc and had the same treatment as me conceived naturally without any frozen eggs or embryos and no zoladex i think thats the drug you said you could have to protest ur ovaries so there is alot of hope of still having a baby.

Joanne r u still partying u mad girl i am going out this Saturday going into town for italian then to o’neils in Merchant City.Get my next dose of CMF next Monday hopefully i will be ok with this one, another one bites the dust. Hope kids r well and not taking too much out of you hope you had a lovely mothers day my kids gave me a lovely photo frame saying no 1 mum on it with a picture of Jim and I in it needless to say quite a few tears were shed even my 14 year old 6ft 3in son had a tear in his eyes.My god i think i need to stop feeding my kids. Rebecca who will be 13 in 4weeks time is nearly 5ft 9in. I am having 13 girls to sleepover for her birthday how mad am i you have all this ahead of you.Hope to see you soon.

Helen don’t worry if you can’t take your wig or scarf off in public i am afraid i am one of the wimps who can’t do it i just don’t feel comfortable with it ,i do take it off in the house but even that took me a while to get used to.My hair started to fall out on xmas day but was just glad i managed to keep most of it for xmas day as i didn’t fancy having a singed wig going in and out of the oven.It was a very emotional time and it fell out over the period of about a week or more and the i just shaved it off as i looked like Gregor Fisher.I ended up just laughing at myself in the mirror.I have always had long hair and not very adventurous with it so i look at this now as my time to experiment with different hairstyles and maybe even colours.

Fiona i am sure you will be able to continue with ur work so try not to woory too much and hope you start to get some decent sleep. Glad to hear your son done well in his exam .
Annie hope ur keeping well hopefully we can all meet up soon i don’t get on much as i’m back at work now and always seem to be busy .

My god maybe i don’t get on often but i make up for it when i do think i better give my brain and hands a wee rest now housework waiting for me
Take care everyone luv and cuddles Tracy xxxx

Just me again so sorry Pauline i left you out don’t be mad with me,trying har to remember all the people we are talking to now.Glad to hear ur nearing the end of your chemo now its like a game of count down hopefully we will all meet soon
take care Tracy xxxxxx

Hi girls

Hope your all good. Sorry but I’m going to do some ranting now.

Yest was great at the spa but they wouldn’t give me my massage so massaged my feet instead, and had lovely facial in afternoon. I was so chilled and relaxed yest, felt as though I could have slept for a week, but the usual when i went to bed, I was bright as a button, then when I did get to sleep woke up as usual 2,3,4,5,6,7, eventually got up at 8.30 had Eco at 11.10.

After a lovely day yest I am now frustrated!!! I was supposed to be seeing surgeon this week, got phone call to say it’s now next wed 1st April, happy fools day to me eh??? See oncologist this thurs, he wanted me to see surgeon before I saw him, he’s not going to happy but that ain’t my fault.

Legs felt really tired today when I was walking to the hospital, so decided not to do much today at all.

Take care all

Big hugs
Sharon xxxx

HEY SHARON…

SORRY U WONT B SEEING UR SURGEON TILL NEXT WED…PAIN IN THE ASS.U JUST HAVE 2 GET IN SOME MORE RELAXATION AND REST.
I AM GOING TO ACCORD HOSPICE FOR SOME COMPLEMENTARY RELAXATION STUFF.SO LOOKING FORWARD 2 THAT.
I C MY SURGEON ON MONDAY…BUT I AM STILL NONE THE WISER WHAT 2 DO YET.I AM JUST A BIG WIMP AND DONT FANCY ANY OF THE STUFF HE HAS SPOKE ABOUT.NEED 2 B REALISTIC AND NOT PUT MY HEAD IN THE SAND.

ONCE AGAIN U COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT THE DELAY IN UR APPOINTMENT BUT IT WILL COME.
GOING SEND YOU SOME VIBES 2 MAKE U GO 2 SLEEP 2NIGHT.

TAKE CARE AND LOVE 2 EVERYBODY

PXXXX

Thanks P, hope the vibes work.
The thing with the surgeon is he’s just the guy that takes away, i’ll still need to be referred to Plastic surgeon!!!
I’m going to ask for Miss Walletts or John Scott.

No point in stressing over it, I’ll just wait with baited breath till next wed.

We need to organise lunch soon girls, it would be good for me to see you all again

Big hugs
Sharon xxxxx

Hi Girls

Thanks Tracy, yes it does feel as though I am on my own now. its a weird feeling after having so many appointments. I have a copule of weeks then Im going to try and get back to work.

Sharon, glad to hear you had a good time at the spa. Glad you have an appointment sorted at last too. Wont be long now. Hopefully once the chemo drugs are out of your system you will be able to start getting some sleep, what a releif that will be.

Pauline, Have fun at the relaxation stuff, hopefully you will manage to get a good night sleep after that. Hope everything goes well with the surgeon.

Anne, I found it was such a relief to shave my hair off. I wore my wig outside because i just didnt feel comfortable with scarfs but always walked round the house bald. My hair started to grow back pretty quickly once the drugs were stopped and I had my first haircut yesterday. Its still so short that it looks like a boys hair cut, but its a propper cut now.

Helen, I think its gonna take a bit of time for life to get back to normal, but i should start back at work part time in a couple of weeks. I also got my hair really short before the chemo did its worst. Its a relief to shave it off once it starts coming out as it gets very anoying.

Jo & Fiona, I hope thigs are going well for you both.

Take care

Angela

HI ANG…

REMEMBER UR NEVER ALONE U HAVE US NO MATTER WHAT.U HAVE ALOT OF COURAGE GOING THROUGH WHAT U DID.
I AM SUCH A WIMP REGARDS 2 SURGERY.DID U GET RECON?ITS THAT AND THE OVARY REMOVAL I AM STRESSING OUT ON.I CANT STAND HOSPITALS ANYMORE GOODNESS KNOWS HOW I AM GOING 2 GO BACK AND WORK IN ONE.

HAVE U BEEN IN 2 C UR EMPLOYERS RECENTLY…BET THEY WILL B SO GLAD THAT U R GOING BACK.
TAKE CARE
LOVE AND HUGS 2 EVERYONE
PXXX

Hi Pauline

Thanks, I know Im not alone… It does feel like you are just dropped by the hospital though. Its fine though, Im glad to be finished, just need to try and put it all behind me and move on.

Dont think of yourself as a wimp. Nobody really likes hospitals especially not operations. I havent had a recon yet. I was told that if I wanted a recon I would have to wait about 8 weeks, and as far as I was concerned… I just wanted the cancer out of me. I will be asking to go on the waiting list when I see the surgeon at the end of next month. I will have to go to Glasgow Royal for that so it means more traveling… Joy!

I havent been in to see my boss yet. Its a good 25 min drive so I was going to wait until next week. I stillg et pretty tired quickly so I thought I should give myself some time.

Take care

Angela

I’m new to all of this so please forgive me if I make mistakes. Just saw the title re East Kilbride and so pleased to make contact with local people. I was diagnosed 1997 and had mastectomy and chemo then 5 yrs of tamoxifen. 2004 spread to ovary and pelivic area and had taxotere and xeloda. 18 months reprieve then more of the same. I have just finished 3rd cycle but staying on xeloda for don’t know how long. Enjoy reading the forum and find it really helpful. Good to know your not alone.

Hi Girls,

Sorry haven’t been on for a while, been quite a mad week… Been to Onc today and that is me signed up for the trial. I go to the Beatson on Tues to get put into randomized group and then chemo starts the following week, haven’t been told actual date yet. Good thing is I get Herceptin same time as Docetaxel so only one vist to hospital…

I’m off tomorrow so I was thinking of going to the Maggie centre tomorrow to have a wee look.

Had To get BCN to check armpit wound as well today, it still wasn’t healing… turns out to be a wee stitch neither in nor out so skin wouldn’t knit… god if I’d have known that I wouldn’t have percievered so long. anyway I hope thats the end of it.

Sharon - sorry to hear your appointments are all over the place… hope things all get resolved on Wed…Hope I can make lunch when you all arrange it… I’ll be glad to get first chemo out the way, to be honest I’m dreading it!!!

Helen - hope your arm is doing ok, mine is taking a while but the exercises are working and it does take ages. I have an over tight cord, so stretching is a horrible feeling in my inner arm, nurse says it will ease off… keep going with exercises…Did you have your assesment today? how did it go?

Pauline - hope your managing to stay chilled… I fancy getting some relaxation stuff organized, hope you enjoy the stuff at the hospice. I know you have a big decision on surgery to make and I hope all goes well with that…

Jo, Annie and Tracy Hope you are all doing well…

Take care everyone

Luv n hugggs Fiona xxxxxx

EVENING EVERYONE AND WELCOME CAMMIE…

CAMMIE ,MY WORD U HAVE GONE THROUGH SO MUCH…GLAD U HAVE COME ON THIS THREAD .
FIONA…I AM AT THE BEATSON ON TUESDAY MORNING AT 1OAM FOR BLOODS SO IF U R AROUND IN AREA 2 AT THAT TIME WE COULD MEET UP.
GLAD U R GOING 2 PERSUE SOME COMPLEMENTARY THERAPY 2.

JUST CHILLING OUT…ON THE COUCH…MY USUAL SPOT.HOPE EVERYONE HAS A NICE EVENING
PXXXX

Hi Cammie

God you have been through some amount of s**t. Welcome tothe thread. There are 3 of us so far from EK and the rest are from Glasgow. Glad you find it helpfull, but is sounds as though you could probably tell us more than we can tell you. We are here anyway. I was on Xeloda and found it bearable, its something you can live with I think apart from the hands and the constant trips to the bathroom. Are you working at the mo?

Take care

Angela

Hi Cammie,

Sorry I never noticed your post when I put up mine, don’t know what happened there… welcome to the thread, You have been through so much…I’m sure you’ll be able to give some usefull advice and it is nice to chat to people from the same area…

Sorry Angela for forgetting to say Hi and hope you’re well… brain is puddled !!!

Pauline, would love to meet up… just waiting for appointment through post. will let you know when it is…

Also, can anyone tell me how I get a wig?

Toodles… Fiona xxx

Hello my friends

I have been battling a fever since Sunday, am sore with coughing, lost voice and my temp has been as high as 38.1. I took a cool shower to bring it down, but it has been a godawful week.

Sharon, we share the same team and boy girl, do you sound pissed off! As I am quite new (has SNB with 2 out of 5 lymph nodes involved) then FEC the next week, I havent seen anyone except the district nurses who come to give the jabs.

Does Mr Musa not do the recon at the time of mast/lumptectomy? I wish I had a firmer grasp on what I am to face!!!

I know they can say nothing definitive until they remove the tumour, and all of this waiting, especially when I am burning up, is so frustrating!!!

I am getting the guided marker thingie tomorrow. Do you think I will see Mr Musa afterwards?

Sorry, I don’t usually feel sorry for myself, but any advice you could offer Sharon will be gratefully received!!!

Thanks guys

What a PAIN I am eh???

Annie W

Hi Anne

Im was also with Musa and yosef. Mr musa is really nice and he cares. Mr Musa does not do the recon as he is not a plastic surgeon. for that you would be refered to Glasgow Royal. If you have an imediate recon, Mr Musa will travel to the royal to do his stuff then the plastic surgeon takes over to finish the job. I had the mastectomy without recon as I was told I would have to wait up to 8 weeks for Glasgow Royal and as far as I was concerned I just wanted the cancer out of me, but I didnt have chemo first so it may be a different story for you. Dont worry too much about the operation… it will be over with before you know it and you will be back on your feet in no time. I am going on the waiting list soon for my recon. Hope this helps…

Angela

MORNING GIRLS…

JUST UP KICKING OH OUT THE DOOR…HE HATES HAVING 2 DO A 5 DAY WEEK…BLESS.HE IS NOT GOOD IN THE MORNINGS.

FIONA…U SHALL GET UR WIG VOUCHER FROM THE NURSES WHEN U GET UR FIRST CYCLE OF CHEMO.THEY R VERY GOOD AND WILL B ABLE 2 REASSURE U ABOUT ANY WORRIES U HAVE.
I GO AT 11AM FOR MY CHEMO NEXT WED.SOMETIMES U CAN HANG AROUND FOR A BIT B4 GETTING TAKEN.
R U GETTING TAXOTERE FIRST? JUST DOING MY NURSEY BIT NOW…IF U R MAKE SURE U ASK THE DOCS FOR SOME LOSEC 2 GO ALONG WITH THE STERIODS U WILL GET WITH THE TAX.IN ADDITION ASK 2 GET SOME NYSTATIN OR FLUCLONZOLE FOR UR MOUTH.U MAY ALSO GET SOME MOUTH ULCERS…BUT U MIGHT NOT ITS JUST 2 SAVE U PAYING FOR THE PRESCRIPTION.ASK THEM FOR SOME ADCORTYL IN ORABASE 2…GREAT FOR MOUTH ULCERS.

IS UR CONSULTANT DR.ALHASSO?I HAVE ONLY SEEN HIM ONCE AT THE VERY BEGINING …USUALLY ITS HIS SPR I C .
LISTEN SORRY IF I HAVE WENT ON A BIT THERE BUT LET ME KNOW IF I AM DOING UR HEAD IN WITH ALL THAT INFO.ENJOY THE MAGGIES CENTRE 2DAY.

ANNIE…SORRY U WERE HAVING A CRAP WEEK.I GOT THE TITINIUM MARKER IN VIA ULTRASOUND.ITS NOT 2 BAD.THEY JUST PUT A BIT OF LOCAL IN.DONT RECALL SEEING MY CONSULTANT AT THE RAH AFTER THAT …ONLY HIS SPR.

IF UR TEMP WAS 38.1 DID U CONTACT UR GP OR GO 2 A& E? GET UR DOC 2 COME OUT AND C U AND GET BLOODS TAKEN .
HOPE U GET SOME ANSWERS 2DAY

WELL I AM HAVING MY FRIEND AND MY MUM ROUND FOR LUNCH 2DAY.MADE HOMEMADE LASAGNE YESTERDAY…SO I AM ORGANISED.
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GOOD DAY…LOOKS LIKE THE SUNS COMING OUT…HURRRAH!!!

BIG HUGS
PX

Morning Everyone

I hope you’re all doing OK. I did post a message last night (or I thought I did!) so if another one appears like this, please just ignore it.

Hi Cammie, I’ve just joined in here too and its good to be able to chat to others who are close by. Everyone is a really great support, especially as we’re all at various stages of treatment.

This week has been really hectic and seems like one big appointment! I saw the GP and Oncology Dr Tuesday, I had my pre-assessment on ward and dentist yesterday. Kian (my 4 yr old)has got his speech therapy session this afternoon and I’m taking Seren(baby) to the doctors to get her chest checked and then I’ve got my heart scan on tomorrow!. I’m beginning to hate hospitals too Pauline!.

I got myself really stressed out on Tuesday at the hospital as I had to decide whether to take part in a trial for gosereline; which shuts down the ovaries prior to the chemo starting. I just panicked when I read the potential hormonal side effects, which I now I’ll probably get anyway. I eventually decided to take part only to be randomised and not selected to have the injection. I’m just in the control group now, which I’m actually quite relieved about as I just want to concentrate on the treatment, without the worry of anything else interfering with it.

I had my pre-assessment on the chemo ward yesterday, which was all a bit daunting as the nurse ran through all the potential side effects. I had to laugh when she told me to try to keep away from colds and illnesses; Ryan (my eldest) had thrown up just before we’d left home and Seren has had a snotty nose, cough and cold since I stopped feeding her and since I got home I’ve had a blocked nose too and can’t stop sneezing – argh!. Whilst I’m dreading starting my chemo, I really don’t want to have to put it off – so getting a bit stressed and trying to eat as much fruit as I can.

Sorry if I sound like I’m moaning!

Fiona – at my pre-assessment one of the points on the check list was wigs and the nurse said she’ll put in a referral for someone to contact me about getting a voucher for one. I also got the BCN to check my arm yesterday as its agony to straighten and she said I’ve got some cording too, so she’ll refer me back to physio to get some different exercises. I went to the Dentist last night and explained I starting treatment next week and he prescribed me some extra strength tooth paste and said I should use Corsodyl Daily mouthwash after meals. He also said to drink loads of water, which I know is a given and chew gum to increase saliva levels as that should stop my mouth from drying up.

Pauline, your chemo advice was really useful to me too, I’ve already stocked up on the ‘Adcortyl in Orabase’ – any advice is gratefully received! I hope you have a nice lunch with your friends and mum today.

Sharon, I hope you manage to get your appointments sorted next week. Are you managing to get some sleep?.

Hi to everyone else, I hope you’re all taking it easy and looking after yourself. Need to dash as I have to go and get Kian from nursery.

Take care

Helen

Hi girls and welcome to Cammie.

Cammie, you will be the one giving us all the advice the amount you’ve been through

Annie, sorry but when it comes to the surgery bit I have no advice to give, haven’t seen Musa since Sept when he told me I had cancer, you only see the team your dealing with at the time, so as I have had chemo first there has been no reason to see Musa, I don’t even know what to expect him to say next week. It’s just a waiting game.
I did know that he only removes the tumor, he’s not the plastic surgeon, Hairmyres doesn’t have a plastic surgeon team.

If you temp is that high you should have been in touch with someone, you may need anit-biotics.

Fiona and Helen, honestly once you’ve had the first chemo you’ll be fine as you know what to expect. Also the wigs are great.
Hope you both do well.

I’m still not sleeping great, it’s typical, I used to have to drag myself out of bed for work, now it feels like I never sleep.
Maybe once the chemo is out of my body and I know what’s happening next I’ll get back to normal.

Hope everyone else is doing good. We’ll have to get date for lunch nailed soon too.

Speak to you all soon
Big hugs Sharon xxx

Sorry girls, I want to apologise if i’m not sounding my cheery self and sound a bit sharp on that last post but for the first time i’m feeling all over the place, just want to know what’s happening next.

From frustrated
xxxxxx

Hi Sharon

I’m sending you a huge hug as you sound really fed-up, but hey, you’re allowed to feel like that from time to time, especially as you’re always so positive.

I know I’ve only just joined and I’m no expert, but so far I’ve found that I’ve been on a high once I’ve got one stage over, then after a few days there’s a big low, as the reality sinks in that there’s another appointment looming and you just don’t know what to expect. I’m sure you’ll feel better after you’ve seen your consultant next week, just focus on the fact that you’re moving forward and stay positive. I hope you manage to get a decent sleep tonight, then I’m sure you’ll feel better.

Can everyone ignore my earlier comment about using Corsodyl Daily mouthwash. The dentist specifically said don’t use a mouthwash with alcohol in, as it will nip and dry your mouth up, so just when to buy some and yep, its got alcohol in, so please don’t buy it! Sorry for the crap advice!

Hugs to All

Helen