April 2024 chemo starters

Thank you for that.

Did they tell you what stage you were at? I know mine is Grade 3, but not stage. I thought they would tell you what stage after the surgery as like you mine is showing no lymph nodes but they will take some out with the surgery.

If I’m being honest, I don’t think I really understand the survival rate but I guess I will bring it up at my next meeting or with my BCN.

Maldives, how wonderful!!! That’s definitely something to look forward to, for sure.

1 Like

Yes - I wasn’t fussed about asking myself as I felt I had the info I needed and had worked it out myself from the breast cancer now booklets but my mum kept on at me so I asked them to shut her up😂

Yeah it’s definitely worth talking over with your BCN as they’ll be able to go over it properly with you to let you make an informed decision on what you want to do in terms of finding out too

I honestly can’t wait… It’ll be nice and relaxing too which will be just what I need after all this! It’s most likely a once in a lifetime thing for us and for some reason we thought to heck with it we’ll just do it (and booked it before I knew about my cancer)

6 Likes

@pinklady2 My oncologist went through predict with me when they decided I needed chemo, like you I was told grade 3 but not the stage, you don’t need to know the stage to use the predict.
Regarding holidays , I ask everytime I go for an appointment if I can go away this summer so far they always say October at the earliest, I’ve got a Caribbean cruise booked for November with daughter and husband and 12 others and I’m really hoping I will have some hair growth by then :crossed_fingers: I’ve got another appointment with my oncologist in a couple of weeks so I will ask again about this summer, I’ve completed my fifth chemo today my second docetaxel so I’ve only got one more to go and all being well that should be 5th July :crossed_fingers:
Hope everyone is doing ok and we all have a good week xxx

6 Likes

@elle16 1 more to go for you whoop whoop! I hope you are feeling Ok from your treatment today. I bet you can’t wait for your cruise! I’m desperate to book something too! It’s nice to have something in the diary to look forward to x

3 Likes

Nice to hear chat about holidays, that must be a sign that we’re getting closer to the end of this road? I have a plan to do a “big” holiday before I go back to work- maybe around October :thinking: No clear idea of where yet but I’ve started dropping hints to himself, he needs time to think about these things!

I spoke too soon about the PiCC line hack re: blood tests….my oncologist (whom I’ve only seen peeping around the door to say hi so far) phoned me this afternoon out of the blue :astonished: The BCN who runs the pre-chemo clinic has left so they are trying to cover us by phone rather then face to face. It was great to chat to her and she was able to answer all of my questions - up to a point - but now I have to go to the Phlebotomy department along with all the others on Monday to have my bloods done :unamused:
A bit like you @pollyanna1 she said that at my next appointments, 1st July, she will see me and go through in detail what happens next. She did outline that the minor surgery will be around the beginning of August, with radiotherapy in early September. The big surprise to me was that radiotherapy will take three weeks….she wouldn’t go into any more details over the phone but assured me that she will go through everything face to face! I’m hoping that might mean we could get a week away somewhere in the UK at least, in the summer…. Between hemp recovery and surgery or between surgery recovery and radiotherapy starting? Bad timing with schools being off too but it is what it is and maybe it will coincide with the sun actually coming out!!

5 Likes

Remember that it’s 83% but 5% of people would be dead from non-cancer in 15 years so yours is actually 83/95*100 as long as you weren’t planning on a heart attack / car accident etc. If you weren’t planning on that then yours is actually 87.4% adjusted. You’d bet on that in a horse race!! X

3 Likes

Thanks☺️ my percentages are slightly different for that too but I see what you mean… I’m pretty positive in terms of stuff and the way I see it I can also influence things with my lifestyle slightly (and I’ve come to the conclusion that what’s going to happen will happen so I’m not stressing about it too much) but I was more using it as an example of how you could look at it either way and how it might be difficult seeing your own numbers etc as it can be a big decision to ask for the figures/look them up

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

Had 5th Chemo on Thursday (2nd Docetaxel) at 10% lower dose. Boo! No reaction but I’m an idiot and I forgot to do my Pegfilgrastim yesterday and only remembered this morning, 12 hours late!. So worried I’ve screwed up and will end up neutropenic again.

It’s been a stressful week with kids exams and some kids trying to steal my son’s phone at school and I’ve totally not set myself up for success with this cycle. Feel frazzled on Day 3!

I hope everyone else is doing okay this week. Haven’t had a chance to catch up on messages and I forget each persons tag within 2 seconds of meaning to reply as my brain has basically been replaced by a watery soup of nothingness.

We already had 2 weeks in Estepona, Spain, booked for Aug 2-16th and I finish chemo on July 4th. We’ve been told to go ahead with it from Day 1 as we had a 4.5 week tolerance for any delays with chemo. I was insured anyway if we needed to cancel as it was booked pre-C.

Looks like we should be fine to go and then I start radiotherapy 2 days after we get back after a 6 week break to recover from chemo. They said 4-6 weeks is what they aim for to recover from chemo so it’s on track at least.

@altoan I was told 3 weeks too for radiotherapy. It seems that’s pretty standard from what I understand. They used to do 6 weeks standard but the methods have improved.

Have a meeting on Monday night with a gynae about removing my ovaries rather than using Zoladex for Ovarian suppression.

Read a massive study last night and the ovarian suppression doesn’t actually do a huge amount for prognosis. Tamoxifen/Letrozole are the winners there. They’re what has transformed recurrence rates. I just would rather be on one drug and know that it’s just Tamoxifen causing side affects and not need to rest from drugs to figure out whether it’s ovary suppression drugs or Tamoxifen. I need to understand the increase in risks of bone density issues and heart risk of permanent suppression to make the decision. My best friend’s Dad trained this gynae so I know I can trust him to do right by me. There aren’t any decent studies on permanent suppression vs. temporary suppression so it’s hard to know what to do.

I’ve always been scared of bell ringing at end of chemo and am relieved to know that my hospital won’t allow it. They said it’s not fair to have someone ringing a bell on a ward where some people will never ring a bell because they’re Stage 4. I’ve never felt so relieved in my life as the bell ringing felt like tempting fate to me and there wouldn’t be enough wood in the world for me to touch to counter that! Am I alone in hating the bell ringing bit?

Anyhooooo, steroids on a taper so hoping to feel a little more human in a few days. It really is the worst bit I think. I’m sure I’ll correct that tomorrow once the bone pain ramps up.

Oh and icy feet things seem to have helped. I thought I had frostbite from them but I’ve got no peripheral neuropathy pains from this Docetaxel so would recommend trying them as it’s a big help to not have that pain this time!

Sx

5 Likes

I felt overwhelmed about the lifestyle choices at first but now I’ve come to the same conclusion. After ovaries, fat cells are the main producer of oestrogen. Apparently weight training can reduce recurrence by up to 50% which is insane.

It’s surprising how much control we can exert on this with no alcohol (although I only drink maybe twice a year) and fitness and food and I think I’m starting to feel more empowered rather that pressurised by that. Certainly starting to maybe swing that way a bit anyway. It probably depends on how tired I feel as to how optimistic I feel about exercising lots. The steroids probably make me feel capable today and I’ll feel totally different in a few days! :joy:

All we can do is take it one day at a time, try not to go backwards and call it a good day if we take one step forwards. Otherwise we’ll drown if we set a mountain to climb. We’re all legends to have got this far. We’ve stood on the shores with wave after wave and the occasional tsunami hitting us for months on end, with no other option than to keep trying to stand up again. Worse than that, we have to prove we can stand every three weeks so that they can hit us with another wave. It’s the ultimate test of our resolve and our families will never know how much we love them because sometimes we don’t even want it for ourselves so it’s all for them.

All we ever wanted was clear CT scans. Any of us with that already have what we wanted. Now’s not the time to get greedy by demanding more of ourselves. Even if we have to stand still for a while before we step forwards again, that’s good enough. This is hopefully the hardest thing we’ll ever do and boy has it been gut wrenchingly hard.

I loved that Kate Middleton said she has had to learn to be patient with uncertainty. She didn’t reassure people. She was so honest.

8 Likes

@swk1981 so pleased your 5th treatment went without any hitches. Only one more to go that’s great news and you can focus on your holiday too x

2 Likes

Thanks. Kicking myself that I’ve worried about being bald and missing a boob on holiday. I can tell I’ve mourned the hair and boob better than I thought as I think I’ll be okay. I’ve stopped pretending I’m all brave to the kids and I vocalise when I’m struggling with it but balance it with “I’ll get there, I just need to be kind to myself!” I think that’s better than faking it. Who knows?

I’ve sorted a bikini that works for me and I’ve had to change all the types of tops as I’ve always been slimmer top half and dressed to accentuate small boobs and slim waist. Everything’s had to become a bit higher cut to hide the missing cleavage. I’ll figure it out somehow to not feel so self-conscious. My god, I kick myself for not loving last year’s body though. What an idiot!

3 Likes

@swk1981, you’ve summed it up amazingly. I had a conversation earlier with my husband and said the hardest part of this for me is starting to feel a little better after a few weeks to be knocked down again with another cycle. It takes some strength to do this and we all really have.
I’ve said if I can keep on top of my mental health going through this I’ll manage the physical side one way or another. It’s not an easy ride for any of us but we’re all doing amazing.
If anything I take away from this is, if possible take it one step at a time. I know this can be very hard as I’m guilty for looking far ahead for when this is all over.
I’ve stopped worrying what I could’ve or should do to prevent this as sometimes I think it’s the luck of the draw.
2 months ago my sister passed with a massive coronary, no signs, symptoms, family history or anything. She was worried about my diagnosis and how I was coping and little did we ever imagine this would happen.
I’m not saying this to alarm anyone but I think I’ve just got to the stage that it dosent have to be cancer that can harm us.
Going forward my attitude is to live my life as happy and healthy as I possibly can without beating myself up, breast cancer has already done that.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

100%. I’m so very sorry about your sister. You have been hit so hard by 2024. More than any one person should be able to withstand. You’re amazing!

One step at a time is all we can do. Cancer has given us some nuggets of wisdom and a clarity and I think the hardest bit is to remember them and keep the perspective we’ve been gifted and not to return to previous mindsets that take things for granted.

I suspect recovering from 2024 may take all of 2025 and involve itty bitty baby steps but we’ll get there somehow and probably not in a straight line. X

4 Likes

I think being kind to ourselves is often hard! I know I always put pressure on myself to seem upbeat and happy all the time so not to worry anyone. The trouble is after a while the mask that we often hide behinds slips as it’s just not possible to maintain it!

Yes we need to try and find balance and try and just take every day and enjoy it for what it is.

I’ve had a week of feeling sorry for myself and just haven’t been able to shake it. My chemo doesn’t finish until 22nd August and it just feels like such a long way away!

Yesterday I shoved a bright blue sequin turban, put make up on and met a friend for coffee. I actually felt so much better just getting out and about.

I think that both @swk1981 and @pollyanna1 said that it is a journey we are going through and we will get through we just have to be kind to ourselves and not expect our lives to run at 100 miles an hour like before, our lives have now changed but that doesn’t mean that the changes that we make moving forward won’t be positive ones.

Wow I am rambling!

Happy weekend to everyone.

Josh has 3 ALevels left and finishes next Friday so I can’t wait for that. All we need now is a tiny bit of sunshine :sunny:

Helen x

4 Likes

Loved reading all your messages just now, it’s just so nice to hear people expressing their thoughts that are do similar to mine but I struggle to sometimes get them out, such good analysis so thank you all,
My second docetaxel went ok yesterday, my steroid misunderstanding was fine, picc line struggled to play ball but did eventually and luckily slept reasonably well last night and feeling tired but ok today, they’ve decided to still send me for a brain scan so that’s all booked in for next Saturday.
My son has come home for the weekend for Father’s Day and my birthday tomorrow so that’s a lovely treat, the three children and their dad are off out for a lovely lunch tomorrow but I’ve decided not to go after my ordeal after my last treatment, but I think it will be lovely for them to have time with their dad without me fussing over them or them fussing over me and I’m intending on having a lovely rest whilst they are out, hope everyone has a healthy, drama free, happy weekend 🩷

5 Likes

@swk1981 im going to ask again about going away between chemo and radio as it seems ideal to me, it’s what I originally thought they might say would be perfect timing and with it coinciding with the school holidays it would be perfect, I will look at insurance for the in between stage first though as I’ve done my quotes so far for treatment being finished and hormone treatment ongoing,
I’ve also researched a little t regarding ovaries being removed but no one at the hospital has mentioned it to me, it’s something I’m going to ask about at my next appointment as in my opinion I don’t need them anymore and i feel the less medication I can take going forwards the better, but I will see what they say xx

1 Like

I’m just exhausted with everything today. Sick of being upbeat, and everyone saying how strong I am, and how well I’m coping. And yes I am on the whole, but I’m worn out and sick of this journey. I just want it all to end, the whole journey just seems endless. And no idea of post chemo- end of July- so can’t plan anything. All I’m doing is cancelling stuff. Well that’s my moan over - I will get off the sofa tomorrow, and may even attempt another half marathon. Though if the weather is similar to today I’ll need to be a duck!!

6 Likes

Oh @gromit12 you’re our toughy of the group. You’ve done so well so let yourself fall. You totally deserve a pity party!

Sorry you’re going through a slump.

I found the lack of clarity of next steps as we reach the end of chemo a bit too much to bear and so bullied them all into a timetable.

You do make me chuckle. My idea of setting a challenge is walking to the end of the driveway (admittedly it is 500m). You go and set yourself a half marathon. Nutter! :heart_eyes:

@elle16 I’ll let you know what the gynae says. I have a couple of people in family who had older aged BC/Ovarian cancer which helps me have a case for it. My genetic testing won’t be back for three months (they sent it on Thurs) and that would automatically entitle me to it.

Because I’m private it looks like they’ll do whatever my consultant says though if he deems it to be better medically for me which may make my rules a little different. I seem to recall you having private healthcare which may help you later on. Also, check on your insurance. Mine has a clause that pays me if I choose to use NHS over private. It actually pays out a LOT for doing that so check your fine print as I would have been paid thousands for it!

Have doctors given any reasons for saying no holidays yet? Is that in case of chemo delay? Surely you’re out of that given you’ve only got the last one to go?

@hc1973 the second half goes faster. I remember July 4th always feeling like miles away and it’s scary now how fast it’s come and the “WHAT NEXT?” snuck up on me, hence my consultant bullying this week to get ducks in a row. I wish I’d done it earlier. Xxx

3 Likes

@gromit12 i was just talking to my friend about this being strong/brave nonsense this morning. What happens if we can’t be strong or brave for a while. We will still get the treatment, we will still feel rubbish and we will still be the people we are. Sit back and watch for a while, no one can be that warrior all the time. Recharge and reset, tomorrow (or even next Friday) is another day when you will be feeling better. We are entitled to own our emotions and sometimes they aren’t positive ones, just for a while. Take care and I hope you feel good soon.
@swk1981 @elle16 i wonder if it’s another example of telling us stuff when they judge the time is right. I mentioned going away for the week to my Nurse a few weeks ago and she didn’t raise any concerns as long as it doesn’t interfere with treatment. I’d agree that in between chemo and whatever is next seems perfect!
So I’m venturing out again tonight, have had a two hour sleep in preparation :sweat_smile: and am hoping that my running buddies will be kinder and more supportive than the people last week.

4 Likes

Well done @altoan

I’ve found my Oncology Lead (nurse) to be more protective of me and dissuade me from things like the Take That concert whereas my Oncology consultant is more like “Go for it!” All have been massively encouraging of the holiday though but my Oncologist is giving me blood thinners for the flight (although her husband died of DVT when her boys were in junior school and I remember it happening after a flight so I suspect this makes her extra cautious!).

X

4 Likes