Diagnosed 29th - Hello Ladies.

Morning Everyone,

Thank you all for your lovely messages. Lizzie has been reading them out to me. I am finally starting to feel a bit better so be warned - you won’t be able to shut me up soon.

Dilys - Bless you my love. You can spend many happy hours planning your wonderful holiday in Nice. I am imagining you sitting (very elegantly) on the terrace of a very “chic” cafe on the promenade watching the beautiful people going by, with glorious sunshine glinting on the sea (Aghhhh- I am there with you).

Louise - STOP overdoing it! You are sooo naughty and by the sound of it stubborn (as we all are). Please take it easy and your wound will heal my love.

Julie - I am in awe of you working whilst having chemo - it just bloody well decks me. You are a star. Don’t push yourself though hon. Have you started painting yet.
I feel a commision coming on!!!

Shonagh - Glad to hear that you are on the mend my love. Even without the chemo brain, I would not understand the Her2 thingy. Maybe a BC nurse could translate for us all. Your hubby sounds wonderful, we are all lucky to have such fantastic support. It makes a big difference.

Wendy - I think the chemo gremlins have got to you too. I can totally sympathise my love and send you HUGE hugs and am holding your hand and giving it a squeeze.

Well, my hubby had to go back to work on Sunday after a month at home. He is back in Norway and won’t be back until the 25th Jan. I miss him soooo much.
It was really hard for both of us when he left.

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards babes!!!

Lots of love and hugs,
Dyzee

Hi all

If you want to read more about HER2 testing and FISH, the following link will take you to a Cancerbackup web page containing this and other useful information:

cancerbackup.org.uk/Cancertype/Breast/Causesdiagnosis/HER2testing

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Lucy

There you go girls!

Thanks Lucy.

Much appreciated.
Love,
Dyzee.

Hello ladies,

Believe me I copied and pasted it all but from what I can gather my tumour is being fished as the result came back as receptor HER2 level 2. 1+ means heprceptin wont work 3+ means it will and 2+ in it may or may not work and aparently the fish test will say for sure.

I have just had a phone call from Sue my BC nurse to say the hystology is back and I will get my results at 3pm or around that time, It is their general BC clinic so its a bit hit and miss on timings but they are all lovely so hopefully I will know by the next time I log on. Went into overdrive mode last night and worked out if they decide to take the chemo route (I am resigned to the fact, they have mentioned it so often due to my age “getting the most mileage out of it”) if they start me in early feb and its 6 lots I will be done by June and then onto the next lot of rads etc. Fingers crossed I’ve got a holiday booked in Sept. Not that its like me to get ahead of myself!!! CALM DOWN SHONAGH!!! LOL!!

Speak to you all later. Shonagh xx

Good luck Shonagh! Will be thinking of you.

Much love

Dilys
xxxx

Dyzee - thinking of you - chin up ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Shonagh, I agree with all the previous comments - have you got a science degree? you may need it !! Even though I’ve read about it I still can’t get my head round it. I’m sure by the time all this is over you will be able to tell us exactly what FISH means - in language we can all understand and how it afffects you - Good Luck.

Louise - I haven’t tried the Aloe Vera gel because I think it only cools the area and doesn’t keep it moist although I know it’s great in the summer for sunburn - I have got some gel from the hospital called Nu-gel, as well as the Aqueous cream, and I also bought some gel for burns which seems to help - under my breast feels very tight (so I’m trying not to do too much stretching) and the skin in the fold of my armpit is turning a very dark mahogany shade! Now I’ve finished the rads the rest of my breast doesn’t get as hot as it did so I’m not needing the soft cool packs from the fridge any more.

Hope you are all managing to get out and about with this dreadful weather - although I will admit I’ve not got much energy for going out at the moment. Chris and I have been trying to go out for a walk of about three miles most evenings (between showers when he comes back from work) - don’t know if I’m losing weight but have to fight the dreaded Tamoxifen bulges somehow!

Benjamin has now put on 15 ounces and is doing really well - they’ll be telling mummy off for feeding him too much next!

Lots of love to you all
Maddy xxxxxx

hello you lot,

No ladies I promise themost I have is a grade D human biology A level I think that says it all. LOL.

please be reasured I copy and pasted the whole thing from google. I am really stupid especially at the minute Phil is falling about laughing at my stupidity on a regular basis. i honestly have no idea what it all means. i asked my BC Nurse today who said its a further test they may do on my little b****r if the oncologist decides herceptin may be an option. i am HER2 2 so yet again waiting for a decision. but on the bright side I get to keep my nipple. my margins are all clear and so are my lymph nodes. WOO HOO!!!. Thye havent decided on a tratement programm. a further week but at least i can breath a sigh of relief on that one

I feel a bit wierd (not in a bad way) but now my lump has gone and my nodes are clear does that mean i get thrown out of here?? I should be skipping i know but I feel like i need to keep a bit of a lid on it. I just feel like I need to wait for the treatment programme before I do the skipping thing but I suppose whatever is in front now is just prevention so sod it WOO HOO!!! I cant work out how to skip in type.

Love to all of you as ever and thank you all for all your support. I wouldnt have got this far without every single special one of you
Shonaghxx

Hi Shonagh my love

You sleep tight. No point worrying about it all. What is, will be. I never really understood my diagnosis, and the prognosis is what it is! Can’t change it now!

So enjoy life. Try not to worry. Having had the breast off and the lymph nodes removed, just have to trust it is all gone!

Much love

Dilys
xxx

Dear Babes

I have been to Uni and put in for the deferment, yesterday was a tiring day and emotional, saying goodbye to so many people. But I know it was the right decision. Wound doing well and my hideous blister has improved fantastically. So, fingers crossed.

Shonagh: Calm down, woman, all that skipping is making the computer desk rock! That’s brilliant news and the same as me so it will be interesting to see how our treatment programmes differ. I am seeing the oncologist next Tuesday.

Maddy : Ok re aloe vera, I spose I was thinking of the cooling effect the most so it may be helpful. I am very impressed with your evening walks, especially as the weather is so awful at the moment. Do you find it gives you more energy, as the leaflets claim?

Dilys: Gosh only five weeks to go. What will we do without you? I bet you can’t wait. Don’t worry too much about the credit card, there are more important things, I am going to stop worrying so much, myself (New Years’ resolution).

Dyzee: Good to hear from you, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are. Shame about your husband going away, thank heavens for Lizzie, you will get him back home just before your next treatment will you? Take it steady and recover your strength.

Wendy: Thinking of you and wishing you better days soon. Remember our Annie Lennox song?

Julie: You are coping very well, to be able to go back to work. I am going back on Friday and will work through till my next block of treatment, which I suspect won’t be far away.

Love to all

Louise

Hi Girls,

Here is a little diversion - I thought you would all find it interesting.

Here we go!

The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn’t just how you like it, think about how things used to be.
Here are some facts about the1500s:

These are interesting…

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don’t throw the baby out with the Bath water.

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof.
Hence the saying It’s raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That’s how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt.
Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entranceway. Hence the saying a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren’t you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot.
They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special.
When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, bring home the bacon. They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat.

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up.
Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.

And that’s the truth…Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !

Hehe - good innit!
Love and hugs,
Dyzee. XXXX

Fantastic, Dyzee, I will have to remember some of those facts and impress people with my “superior” knowledge HAHA

Love, Louise

Oh wow Dyzee - I began to feel quite nostalgic there - I spotted a few gems from my rural Derbyshire childhood ! I think you may have started a competition.

Keep it up
Love Maddy xxxx

Hi Girls

I’m back! Sorry, haven’t yet caught up with all your stories but I will during the next couple of days.

Chemo wiped me out again, have been feeling really poorly and very low but today I feel like a member of the human race again! Hooray! (Dyzee, thinking of you - hope you are starting to feel ok again).

Take care all - will catch up properly in a day or two.
Love Wendy.

Dear Dyzee and all

That was just brilliant. Had me fooled for a while there. Lovely sunny day here, so hope it is good for everyone else.

Much love

Dilys
xxxx

Hi all,

Dyzee: I cant wait until there is a quiet moment in a social situation so I can pull out one of those out of the hat. I love stuff like that. I had a book when I was little of 500 facts that according to my sister I learnt them all so now you have given me some homework I just need to fit them into conversation somewhere and I will stop looking quite so stupid. My brain seems to have been removed with my tumour. Perhaps its in the same jar!!! LOL.

Wendy: Glad to see you are feeling better its nice to see you back on line.

Louise: I am so pleased your blister is better it sounds really uncomfortable. I had my dressings off yesterday so had a look for the first time. Its the node removal that hurts the most. Its bigger than I thought it would be and a bit red and angry. I tried to go without covering it last night and today but as its right on the area of where my clothing/bras touch it constatly rubs so Phil went to the chemist for breathable dressings today and now feel much more comfortable. I am in touch with another lady called Sukes who is getting her WLE results today so you are right it will be interesting to see how different or similar our treatment plans will be.

Well thats all for today as I have been a complete bed head, I had the wierdest nights sleep and have felt drugged up all day for no reason so have done a John Lennon and had a bed in.

Love and luck to all and hope everyone is feeling better.
Shonagh xx

Hi Dyzee

You are a knockout, what a fabulous read

Gillmc xx

Hi Dyzee

I have just printed it out to share with friends. Just great my love

Dilys
xx

Hi Dyzee,

I loved your history lesson, fab stuff to help us appreciate life now…

Julie xxxx

Hi All,

So pleased you all enjoyed the history lesson. I hoped you would.

Love and hugs,
Dyzee. XXXXX

Hi Dilys,

How are you my love? Have the pins and needles gone? I don’t like the sound of them at all!!! Apart from them do you feel alright? If I am not mistaken it’s hospital for you tomorrow, will you make sure you mention it to them.

Lynne and I had a lovely lunch. She thoroughly enjoyed her soup but declined the offer to take some home as she had planned pork chops for later. It was so nice to see her and I am delighted to report that she has a light covering of lovely brown hair now. She is just delighted that it is finally coming back. We had a good od chin wag and then she left to go for her radio.

I have had my niece Rachel visiting today. She is such a sweetie. She and izzie have just gone out for an hour or two. Bless them, they are such lovely girls.
So I am having a quiet night with Jessie. She is laid beside me on the sofa. What a life she has!!!

It’s really come in cold tonight, I dread to think what the gas bill is going to be (yikes). I seem to feel the cold so much more at the moment although my body temperature seems to yoyo all the time. I didn’t realise how much warmth your hair provides.

Mam and Dad have just bought a new freezer. They downsized last year and could not get away with the smaller one. They have given the one they had to a neighbour and Dad is now cooking for blinkin England to fill the new one. He is such a “foody” Dilys, but enjoys cooking so much. He drives my Mam mad planning meals in advance. They are so funny. They have a neighbour who lost her husband last year so he makes her little meals and freezes them for her.

Let me know how you are my love.

Lots of love,
Audrey. XXXX