It feels too difficult

@shaw1 You are an inspiration - to do what is right for you and your body! It’s easy to get caught up in the treatment steamroller, and I’ve never really been given a choice. Like, nobody has ever sat down and said, ‘this is the treatment, this is how you’ll probably feel on it, this is why we want you to have it, what do you think?’.

I got through chemo because it was only 6 sessions, and I didn’t want my mum worrying herself to death if I didn’t.
I’ve just had radiotherapy session 6. I hate it. It doesn’t make me ill like chemo, of course; it is a trial in different ways. It’s over quickly and so far, no side effects on the skin so… ok. But if it wasn’t for my mum, would I bother? I don’t know that I would, tbh.

So thank you for sharing, and for being brave enough to make the decision that is best for you. I hope you’re ok, and we are here if ever you want to share more.
Xxx

2 Likes

I wasn’t offered chemo but I stopped Anastrozole after 5 months - if my cancer had been different and my breast team had tried to persuade me not to give up I would have tried to continue but I’m not convinced that another 2 years down the line I would still be taking it so I understand . It’s hard enough getting through this illness as it is so don’t put yourself down xx

1 Like

Youre pleased you still here . I have bad pain ( spine ) ribs and sternum.
Just home from another ct scan.
Im not good with pain and lm terrified.
Still feels like a nightmare ( diagnosed stage 4 on April 5th ) after 9 years remission
X

IM. Pleased you still here *

1 Like

What a sweet decent girl you are.
Youre doing if for you mum.
Im glad radiotherapy ok for you.
You sound young. Im 65. Ive had my life. Im a coward who’s frightened of pain. I know it will get worse and struggle with side effects from morphine!!!

Be well sweetheart
Sending love and healing
Xx

@shaw1 I’m so sorry you’re suffering like this, and I can imagine how utterly scared you are.
Do you have support around you?

1 Like

@shaw1 thank you! I’d be terrified of the pain, too. We get through what we have to, I guess. Cancer is a bitch.

I’m not much younger than you - I’m 54.
Xxx

1 Like

@JoanneN I think so few of us understand how many different types of cancers there are, and what different treatments might be relevant.
I’m still not sure I understand how serious - or not - mine is, or was. I don’t even know how to refer to it, past or present! Past, I suppose, as they took the tumour and the lymph nodes; but it doesn’t feel like it’s in the past.

9 more sessions of radiotherapy to go. Today was hard. Tomorrow might not be.
You just take care xxxx

2 Likes

This week is really testing me. My radio centre had their machine break which they only told me after I showed up for my treatment yesterday. I had to go back to work, have my critical meetings and then shoot out the door to get to another centre an hour away before they closed, so my treatment wouldn’t be delayed. They thought it would be fixed before today, but I got a call when I was on my way in saying that it was still broken so I had to turn around and go home again. I went back to the other centre for my treatment today since they had no idea when it would be back up and running. Send some positive thoughts that my treatment tomorrow goes ahead or I will lose my last tenuous grip on my sanity!

Sending hugs to all of you that are struggling @noots @JoanneN @beyond @shaw1 I don’t have anything good to say or any inspiration but I am sending positive vibes to all of you.

5 Likes

@kartoffel oh my goodness how frustrating! That would drive me up the wall and I’d be so tempted to say, ‘sod it then’.

I know I whinge, and I know I’m lucky - I’m off work for the duration, I’m under Christie’s, who are pretty good - not perfect, at all, but lovely staff and a lovely centre.

I hope your centre gets sorted, driving a long way makes such a big difference.

Sending love and hugs to everyone xxxx

Im married. Hes 75. He drives me to appointments but has his own health problems
I go to Clatterbridge Liverpool.
Like everyone else l feel like its all over. Pain.
No holidays no days out.

Xx lt is too difficult. Were women. Just women…:pray:

1 Like

@shaw1 oh my gosh, I want to give you a big hug, hold your hand, and walk with you. I wish I could.
I have a friend who goes to clatterbridge, not BC, but terminal. She was given 6-12m, and “pray for a Christmas”. That was a year ago…
She’s stable, enjoying life, but I don’t know how she gets through each day.
I suppose we just have to.
And I know how fortunate I am.
But hellfire, it’s shit no matter what the prognosis or treatment or age etc.

I hope you can find some small things to enjoy. Stop for a coffee on the way home, sit under a tree, whatever it is.
Love and hugs xxxx

1 Like

Thank you for thinking of me…I had same experience with radiation machond breakdown…I missed one treat and had to travel for next one. Now I am writing on new MRI results from yesterday. I had it because of all the pain I still experience

2 Likes

My centre said “oh that never happens” but from talking to others it doesn’t seem that infrequent… :joy:

The waiting is the worst but I hope they figure out what’s causing the pain and that it’s something easy to fix! It’d be wonderful to catch a break since it seems like you’ve had an extra rough go. I can’t even imagine having 30 rounds of radio, I’ve only had 5 so far, I probably would have said no if they told me I needed 30 rounds.

Hi,
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss and cancer diagnosis. This happened to me too. It’s hard enough to process either of these things by themselves, without this double whammy!

I had ER/PR positive, invasive ductal cancer diagnosed 4 months after my husband had died unexpectedly. I was very shocked, believing as you do, that this was something that happened to other people and at the same time not knowing how I would cope without my husband’s care and support.

I think the way I dealt with it was to just get carried away on the tide of appointments and treatments. I think the waiting was the hardest time because I just wanted everything over and done with.

I didn’t need chemo thankfully, so after my lumpectomy I was started on Anastrozole because I’m post menopausal. About six or seven weeks after that I had 5 sessions of radiotherapy. I saw the oncologist who was really lovely and explained that I had a choice as to whether I had the whole breast treated or just the area where the lump had been. We discussed this in relation to the hormone treatment and how affected I had been by the menopause.

I felt very vulnerable and ‘weepy around the time I was due for radiotherapy and the doctor said, and this applies to you too, that I’d been through two massive events in a short space of time and of course I would be feeling this sorrow, emptiness, and as you were saying, ‘not having a reason to go on’. He gave me anti depressants which I didn’t want, but after a couple of weeks they did help and I felt I could cope again. So if this is you, maybe you could talk to your doctor if you haven’t already.

I felt nervous prior to the radiotherapy sessions, but they were painless and didn’t last long.

Im very lucky to have a daughter who was very strong, to say she had lost her dad and then been told that her mum had cancer. I think I leaned on her a lot and she helped me through it.
I hope you have somebody you can lean on and help support you through this.

I looked for help and support wherever I could. There’s a local cancer support centre near to me which I went to for gentle yoga and meditation sessions. I went online and asked for some counselling sessions, I got 6 weeks free through McMillan and just being able to talk face to face (zoom) with someone was so valuable for me. It’s so difficult to face cancer without that person who’s been so important in your life, so reaching out to other’s did help me to cope with the worst days. There were times when I phoned bereavement and cancer helplines and just cried down the phone for the entire time I was on.

These are the things that have helped me get through my journey so far and it’s been just under a year so far. Get all the help you can with this, through cancer and bereavement agencies; be very gentle on yourself and understand you are going through a grieving process as well as cancer treatment and it’s difficult to process both at the same time; rest whenever you need to; remember it is normal to feel like this, I know it doesn’t change things but it’s normal and reach out whenever you need to…this is not ‘moaning’.

I hope this has helped a bit. Good luck with your ongoing journey and it is a journey, with ups and downs. Some days you will feel like you can face the world and other days you’ll feel so far down you won’t know how to get out of bed. You will get through this.

Please feel free to contact me if you think it will help.
Love and hugs :heart:xxx

2 Likes

@celie1 thank you for writing. I’m so sorry for your loss. :pensive:. Life is so bloody unfair, and hard, sometimes. I know that’s just how it is, it it’s easier to say that when we aren’t the ones on the receiving end!

I have 8 sessions left. Today’s was absolutely fine, amazing what a difference having different staff can make. My arms weren’t even numb at the end, whereas some sessions I’ve been in absolute agony with them. And I’m feeling much better than I was 3 or 4 weeks ago, physically. Just very tired!

I don’t know how I will be once it’s all done… I guess I’ll find out! At some point, I have to go back to work - I want to go back, in fact - but there are decisions to be made around that, and around where I buy a house, and should I go back as soon as I feel physically well enough or give myself more time… So much to think about.

I’m fortunate enough to have counselling with McMillan, and I have a couple of very good friends - but I don’t like to keep talking to them, I’m quite sure it gets very dull to hear the same things, over and over. Does anyone else feel like a broken record?

This year has been a bit crap, really!
Love to you all xxxx

2 Likes

Im struggling a little at the minute myself, i was diagnosed in july with grade 3 triple negative, thankfully it hadnt spread. Had lumpectomy and sentinel nodes at the beginning of august and was healing really well, docs were please, got all cancer and clear margins sentinel nodes clear and they said itd be about 4-6 weeks to see oncologist to sort the chemo and radiotherapy i need. I decided to book a few days away in london with my fiancé as its my 40th birthday on 11th September and thought i had a bit of time before oncologist. we were due to go last wednesday morning, monday night i ended up at a&e as during the day my breast had swollen up and was red and the yellow of an old bruise when it had been fine the night before and id seen a bit of yellowing that morning but nothing like what it was! Turns out it was cellulitis. :woman_facepalming: had to cancel the trip as although i wasnt in pain it was a little uncomfortable if i wasnt sat with it supported on a cushion and i had to see the breast clinic for them to check it. I think its felt a big blow really as id been feeling pretty normal again for a few days and kind of put the cancer to the back of my mind temporarily.
Sorry for the essay!

3 Likes

So sorry that you missed your special birthday break and lost out on your slice of normality. I hope the treatment is working for you. Don’t apologise for the essay - much better to write it down and get it out of your head . I hope you manage to enjoy your birthday just the same. Xx

1 Like

The antibiotics seem to be working but ive had my last one and it doesnt seem clear enough yet for my liking, i rang breast clinic earlier and nurse consulted my surgeon who said he wasnt worried with what I’d described in that it hadnt got any worse but theyve booked me to come in for it checking on friday anyway. I still havent really cried about the diagnosis as yet, i still feel pretty numb but im aware my depression is worse but not a lot they can do with that as i was already on highest dose of this anti depressant so to try something else I’d need to wean off it then start on a low dose of something else and its not really something i think i could cope with right now. I think im just keeping too much bottled up as i dont want to upset those around me.

I’m so sorry, that really is a kick in the head, isn’t it. :disappointed::disappointed:

I understand the bottling up, so as not to upset others. Is counselling available for you? That could well be worth it. And do talk to your BCN, about all of it.

You are very welcome to let it all out here, too, of course. It does help, even if we can’t fix it.
Sending very gentle hugs your way xxx