July 2024 chemo starters

I was feeling under the weather and my temperature went nuts. Ended up calling the rapid response number and was asked to go in immediately. They tested at the hospital and it came back positive. It was prob day 2 of symptoms.
Starting to feel a bit better today, but it has been a rough few days!
Glad it looks like yours is going ahead, I’ve got everything crossed mine will - just a bit doubtful after what was said whist I was in hospital x

3 Likes

@ldm I caught it very early it seems as my temp didn’t go up at all

Did feel VERY fatigued

You had it very rough & really hope the cycle can ahead
Bet you just want it done & over with x

1 Like

Had round 2 chemo yesterday and no reaction to Docetaxol this time as had the antireaction drugs first and went very slow .
Feeling good today - on a steroid high I think and been busy doing housework all morning .
Made a lovely lunch and am enjoying tasting food still :crossed_fingers:that continues - need to work on my iron as red blood cell count down a bit .
Had some swollen ankles last few days so keeping an eye on them too - always something !
But for now chilling in my garden and reading my kindle
Have a good day everyone

2 Likes

I had an asymmetric bob (one side down to chin and other just enough to tuck behind ear) but chopped it off before chemo as I knew there was no way I could style an asymmetric bob with no straighteners :rofl: I’ve had a pixie cut before so it didn’t bother me to chop it (although I had a bit of a fringe before, which again I wouldn’t have been able to style without straighteners due to how flicky my hair is) and it’s definitely easier seeing shorter hairs rather than really long ones coming out! I honestly didn’t think my hair would make it after my big shed but it really did slow a lot after a bit and I’ve lost about 40% but it’s been worth it to cold cap. I had thick hair to start with too

4 Likes

Hi all update on the sore dry mouth I have thrush and a tonsil stone on anti fungal meds for next 2 weeks I am struggling with food I need soft and no flavour so ideas welcome at the moment even water is like drinking sand but with this heat I am trying just to keep fluids up also ice lollies and an ice cream but I am starving.
Glad everyone is managing I hope you are all enjoying the sun take care xx

3 Likes

Looks great. It is so much easier to manage the shedding been short. Im glad i went for it. X

2 Likes

Banana’s any good? Hope you feel better soon x

2 Likes

Been shopping in town with my boys. Hubby and sons. Its only really headaches that bother me but omg when i tried to climb some stairs felt like weights had been tied to my legs. But cant complain, some of you ladies sound like you had and are having it a lot worse. Thinking of you all. Xx

2 Likes

@debi1 @belle1 think I’m going to go a cut close to my head but not quite a shave

The hair on the floe today is insane

@lilo1973 i ate brioches, greek yogurt with bananas & protein powder + scrambled eggs when my mouth went all meh

It was my diet days 3-6 and I was really keen to keep the protein intake up

I tried Freya bone broth but tasted awful for me but may work for you?

@cf40 i am teeing my duvet day for Sat when I hit the steroid crash :joy: I’m looking for a cancer cookbook too so if you find one pls post

X

2 Likes

Hi @booklover1

I had 12 weekly Paclitaxel and had tummy issues every week. I was prescribed Loperamide/Imodium and advised to take it at the first sign of diarrhoea. It generally subsided after 2 days.

For all of you cold capping, I managed all 12 sessions, I’d cut my bob into a pixie and bought a wig as the oncologist said I’d more than likely lose my hair. I managed to keep most of my hair with two small patches above my ears, more likely from glasses being put on and off and some thinning. It wasn’t easy but doable.

Paxman have a great website www.coldcap.com and I’d highly recommend the www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk course with Jasmin from www.cancerhaircare.co.uk which in itself is full of resources and offer online or phone guidance.

Hope this helps :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Having chemo means you are immune suppressed so you need to be more careful with infections from outside (coughs, sneezes etc) as well as inside (washing fruit and veg, ensuring food stored correctly and within date).

Some treatments can cause upset stomachs, germs from touching things (wash your hands frequently especially preparing food and the usual!) but also things you eat.

I wasn’t told to not eat such and such but just to be mindful, bland food was probably better. White bread and pasta, less fibre for your bowel to process that could also cause upset.

Just be extra careful while having chemo and for a time afterwards :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Can you makes smoothies? Protein shakes might be helpful to give you energy but easy to swallow?

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi @belle1

Thanks for sharing your photo. Provides some positivity for keeping going with the cold cap xxxx

2 Likes

Hi all,
The smoothie is a good idea, I’m not hungry but very aware I need to keep the good stuff going in. The only thing I’m really craving is watermelon, it’s like being pregnant all over again :see_no_evil:.
Love catching up on the chats xx

3 Likes

Smoothies are so good for getting a healthy snack/ meal - I’m trying them to stop me reaching for biscuits/ bread . Also trying to increase my iron intake so looking for a ways to do that . One thing I’ve discovered recently is that Omeprazole can inhibit uptake of iron (courtesy of pregnant daughter suffering from heartburn and low iron) so need to leave at least 2 hours between tablet and my iron food .
My fav smoothie is based on kale ( I know it’s quite strong but this is a good way to eat it)
Use frozen easy peeler orange segments ( helps to absorb iron and makes smoothie cold without adding ice) and frozen banana for texture . - about 1/2 peeler and 1/2 banana
Soak some cashew nuts for 15mins in hot water - high protein and iron
2 chopped leaves of Kale
Tsp seeds - chia for eg
Some milk - I use almond - start with small amount 75ml - and adjust for preference
Blend until your preferred texture .
Add some dried fruit such as apricots/ dates/ raisins for more iron and sweetness if needed or some nut butter .
Just play around with flavours - watermelon also high iron but haven’t tried that in a smoothie yet .
For your protein the nuts are good if you don’t want to use protein powder .
Good luck @alisona1

1 Like

Thanks Bibi, I’ll definitely give that a go :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi everyone! So I had blood tests this week and all are good for 2nd EC cycle tomorrow. I’ve got 4 lots of EC every 3 weeks and then I’ll be weekly Pac for 12 weeks. It’s been quite a rollercoaster of emotions. After the fatigue, headaches, lethargy, chemo fog brain, nausea, stomach pain, S&D on days 4/5, and then a slow rise back up the hill and slow normality for me from days 9/10 onwards. It’s made me very grateful for lots of small things. One of my friends gave me a key ring which said ‘Dear cancer, you’ve chosen the wrong bitch’ - made me laugh and cry equally! Love it though. I cold capped and have had lots of shedding since. I had my long hair cut to a short bob when I was told I was having chemo but it’s still a shock. One of the comments earlier mentioned wearing glasses? I definitely have bald patches above my ears, didn’t occur to me it was the glasses which were helping that! Definitely much thinner on top. I’ll be cold capping again tomorrow. Has anyone found any good cook books yet? One of my friends mentioned drinking kombucha - I’ve got one in the fridge but does anyone else know if it’s ok to drink? Apologies, I’m waffling. Love to all you BC warriors!! x

4 Likes

@naughty_boob thanks for your reply about tummy issues on paclitaxol. I gad my third treatment yesterday and the nurse practitioner also suggested loperamide/Imodium as soon as any issues. Fingers crossed, I have been ok this so far, I ate only light meals yesterday and will do today too which seems to help me!

Thanks for your experience about cold capping, I am perservering for now. Just need to find a to style it without straighteners! Your short hair haircut looks great @belle1!

@ldm and @idcand49 I hope you are both feeling better from covid. There is so much around atm!

@lilo1973 I hope you are feeling better too and the meds are kicking it. I had really bad tonsillitis a few years a go and found using straws for drinks & smoothies helped a bit…

I had my third paclitaxel yesterday which went well, we were all watching the Triatholon on various devices which got us talking.

Thanks for posting the smoothie recipe @bibi. I am trying more smoothies!

Wishing everyone well! We are through our first month!!

6 Likes

Guys thanks for the wishes and recommendations I made a fruit smoothie yesterday and it slide down a treat I have pasta and sauce from dinner but ate it when it was too hot I now know only to eat cold things so cold tea cold smoothies and ice lolly or cold dinner lol the meds work until I eat something I shouldn’t so learning a lesson fast I was told also on Tuesday not to take my fil injection as my nutrapina was too high anyone else had this? A lot of bloods came back high or low for infection but hospital never called me back for antibiotics so assume all was ok.
Apart from the mouth and being extra tired after this wrong I would say it’s uneventful. Lots of people have it much worse.

5 Likes

Hi kms1
Im using the Royal Marsden Cancer cookbook. It isn’t brilliant- I don’t like the layout which is meal types rahter than ingredients- but the recipes are ok. I looked at one or two otheer and they seemed to have agendas or some ethos rather than balanced diet.
It’s a shame we can’t share resources but I’m wondering if some of the cancer charities have cookbooks to borrow.
Clare x

2 Likes